Window tint

Discussion in 'Vendor Announcements/Sales/Discounts' started by Iroc-Z, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

2. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

just went to have chris do some tints and i have to say - HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended! he did a wonderful job and really took his time to make sure it looks perfect. not to mention his pricing is WAY better than any of the other shops i talked to and he's much more fair in terms of not overcharging for BS that other shops want. here's a sample: i was quoted up to $460 by one shop. wtfz0rs?!?!?! he also told me if i have any issues (especially with it getting colder so it's going to take longer to fully dry and the pillarless doors are semi-problematic anyway) that he'll stand by his work and fix it for me. he's a real stand up guy and i would def take any car of mine to him again without hesitation.

i'll take some pics this weekend and post em up. thanks chris!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I've been looking into getting my windows tinted...is it getting too late in the season to have them done?

4. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

well i just got them done last night so i sure hope not. ;) if i remember right, chris said now wouldn't be a good time to put metallized film on but non-metallized is fine. he spent a LOT of time going over it with the heat gun to make sure i wouldn't have any problems with peeling. give him a shout - 612.226.0295 - he would be better able to tell you than me!

honestly, i can't recommend him more. the price he originally quoted me including doing slightly more work than we ended up doing so he knocked the price down so that gets kudos from me for honesty because i didn't even think about that fact and wouldn't have thought of it had he not said anything.

5. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I need my window's tinted, ill be contacting him.

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Chris did mine @ 54% when I had Mr. Officer Friendly from EP giving me tickets for my 30%. I have all his pricing for MNSOC members and will post next week. Great guy!!! Excellent work...better than the professional tint place that did mine the 1st time.

7. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Please post that, thanks Dave!

8. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Damn, I really need to pick up a MNSOC card :(

9. chriswelckle

chriswelckle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good words....
    If anyone needs tint I'll be glad to help. 25 years doin' it, so you can bank on it being quality work.
    612-226-0295
    www.clearbraandtint.com

10. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

sorry these took me so long to get up - ended up having to go out of town last minute so didn't have time to get pics. here's some pics of the tint, which is 35% on the side windows and 50% on the back window. there are also a few pics of the vinyl eyebrows we put on there. i wasn't quite sure how it would look so i figured the best way to do it would be to try! i'm going to swap out the CF vinyl for matte black but unfortunately chris didn't have any at the time. chris, you should really post pics of your silver ones!!! they're so cool. that's why i decided to try it out. in some of the pics i tried to show boss in the background which is also a 35% all the way around but i have a mirror tint so it looks less dark. will try to get some pics outside at some point too - i know these aren't the best but what are you going to do in a garage with overhead flourescent lighting? i took some with flash and some without so you can try to get a sense of what the true color is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. chriswelckle

Okay, here you go....

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Thanks Chris! Lexie suprised me with the tint last week and I really think that you did a great job! So much nicer than the peeling tint that I was looking through before, lol.

I would recommend Chris for tint work to anyone. Great prices and great work!

13. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Just sent you an email Chris!

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Had my wagon done by Chris this weekend, turned out fantastic. I highly recommend Chris for your tinting and clear bra needs. 2 thumbs up!

15. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

what tint % did you get dood. I'm trying to figure out when I can take it over to Chris' so he can do mines

16. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I got 35% :ugh:

17. RallyPoser

RallyPoser New Member

Have any pics?

18. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I called him. I'm going to get my car done in a few weeks.

19. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

had to get a remove and retint today, just got my wife's car done, looks great and great prices too! very knowledgeable. thanks again for the service

20. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

will he peel the tint of a back window and guarantee the rear defrost works after???

21. chriswelckle

The deal with it working, is that it will work, sometimes you may lose a line, but it is rare. Depending on the age of the tint and quality of the original tint (or resilience or tinsile strength of the film) can complicate the removal. Sometimes it will come off in one piece, but usually it comes off in little pieces. You have to understand there is a risk, but what is the alternative?

22. predavore

Can't you leave the rear window alone?

23. 02blubru

depending on the cost to remove it or not the other alternative is buy new glass and tint that.

My back window has a couple of pieces missing out of it and I would like to get it fixed.

If I pay someone to remove my rear window tint I will be getting something in writing saying they garuntee my rear defrost to work. not maybe one line is out, but work 100% 2 shops I have talked to said they would do that. so It CAN be done!!

24. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Ya it probably can, but you are going to pay probably 2x the ammount Chris charges. In MN, the state law says in an SUV, like your Forester or my Wagon, the rear window can be as dark as you want it. I personally would just leave it be.

25. 02blubru

it is not a matter of it being to dark. some of it has gotten damaged and is missing. so I want it pealed off and 5% put back on.

26. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

never actually tested it out, so i hope it still does work. either way i still think he did a good job.

27. chriswelckle

Good luck with that. A new window is probably the best way to get 100% chance of it all working. I'm not saying it can't be peeled with it likely working 100%, but for someone to guarantee that at the risk of buying you a new rear window.........
    The rear window is likely $400+ or so, plus install.

Now if they actual destroy a line, good luck getting them to replace it. I know how most shops work. I've worked at a Tires Plus years ago and did not like how the boss dealt with returning vehicle. I've seen when someone I met a week after they had their windows tinted by Gerde's in savage, tha had a poor install that they could not get them to fix, even though it was an easy fix due to dust under the film. They told him it was because he drove down gravel roads often that it could not get any better. (Bad excuse for piss poor application) They'll give you every excuse why they will not. Including the line did not work in the first place. I've heard it all from customers coming to me to straighten their situation out. Rember 25 years doin' it......I started when I was 15 years old. I'm 40 now.

I don't give excuses, I give results. If you are not happy, I will fix. Simple as that.

I know how to fix a line, too. But you must peel it off again. Risking another line, and fix.

In addition, I have seen so many cars come in with lines destroyed before tint ever got to it. All that has to happen is a razor blade pass over it about a millimeter or so and the line is broken. Cargo resting on the glass is the typical destructive force. It will chafe the line away in relatively few miles of doing so. Typically it's a Home depot run or helping someone move their stuff that will do it.

Why incidently are there pieces missing? Was it attempted to be peeled or was it chafed? If you attempted to peel it, did you use a razor blade? If it was chafed, was it located at a line?

I'm just sayin'....

The guarantee is you will pay alot for the guaranteed defroster peel if you want 100% assurance.

My cost to peel and retint is about $195 for an entire car, depending on the vehicle type. I'll bet wherever you are going to get that guarantee is $300-$400.

28. chriswelckle

Yes, you can. But he said there are pieces removed or missing.

29. chriswelckle

The damage to the tint may have damaged the line if it is over a line.

If it is not over a line, there should be no damage to the lines.

30. chriswelckle

I'd love to help you 02blubaru. I would even risk my reputation that I could get it done right for you. But you must understand what is actually going on before you pass judgement. I've never had anyone express to me that I did not give them a poor installation, or dis-satisfaction of the install. If something slipped by me and needed to be fixed, I'd rather fix the problem then have anyone upset and badmouthing me about it. No question. Keep in mind, I've done thousands of cars. Yours is certainly not the first one with a rear window re-do.

31. chriswelckle

I'll get off my soap box now.

32. chriswelckle

One more thing, sorry. The brand of tint that you had may likely be different from mine, giving you a slightly different color. Barely noticeable, but to my particular eye, I would see it. Also, the age of the tint can change the color.

I have a 5% smoke plus(Solar Gard). I have 8% Charcoal(Solar Gard). What brand and color do you have?

33. 02blubru

the car came with the tint on it so I have no idea about the tint info.

I was never saying you could not do the job. I have nothing bad to say about you or your company!!!

how much to tackle the job???

34. chriswelckle

1 window (worst of its kind)tint and redo...$85. It's easily worth $100+. I go easy on my prices, and easier on Subaru owners because I'm one too.

Let me know if you'd like to get it done....612-226-0295.
    www.flawlessfrontends.com
    or
    www.clearbraandtint.com

35. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

Chris how is the car? No leaks I presume?

36. chriswelckle

It leaks. I may have a small antifreeze leak, now too. Ocassionaly I can smell that sweet smell. No not the smell of money......
    It was low on antifreeze, too. It started getting cold from the heater, like I had turned off the heat. Then I started driving and the heat came back. From past experience, I knew I should check the antifreeze level, and it was low in the block. It must have been a bubble, but I am monitering it an hoping that's all it was.

It will smell like gas if its about 5 degrees or colder and you are sitting still. I have a guy from this board who will do the work....I won't say who it is to protect him from his employer......you never know who's watching and reading.

37. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

I understand Chris. Just wanted to make sure the oil leak was fixed. Good luck with the rest.

38. chriswelckle

Gas leak sealed! Oil leak sealed. Coolant leak...not sure yet. Cobb map....installed! Car hauls ass!!!!

39. Brightside

Brightside New Member

Tint

Just got my windows done by Chris in Prior Lake

Windows look great and Chris is a very nice guy! I just thought about this but how much would it be for a windshield tint strip?? It feels a little bare up front :D

40. chriswelckle

Anything on the windshield is considered illegal. Having said that, and you know what you're in for.....$20 add on to original job. If you had not done the other work with me....$35. Still the cheapest in town! Hope to see you again soon, and anyone else who needs tint......

41. predavore

Can you tint over the little black sun blocker behind the rear view mirror? It never does the job good enough.

42. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Chris did my tail lights overlay, back in the days, on 08 WRX. Very good guy. I am still planning on tinting my car Chris, don't know when yet. I will let you know. Highly recommend :)

43. chriswelckle

"Can you tint over the little black sun blocker behind the rear view mirror? It never does the job good enough. " I did on mine! The windshield has a very dark eyebrow, with and additional piece behind the rear view between the visors.:biggrin:

44. Brightside

Brightside New Member

Go Grab a pic of it Chris I don't remember seeing that =p

45. Ninjaplease!

Ninjaplease! Well-Known Member

price to tint a 09 5 door? Im thinking 35 in the back and 50 in the front. Havent decided yet though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.