Window Tint

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by wrxtypething, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrxtypething

wrxtypething New Member

I'm a new owner of a saabaru 92x. This is my first car in the subaru world and I'm loving every minute of it. Although, I've been hearing about them for years from phi11. (I work with him) I would really like to get some window tint for it and was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to go.

2. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Midwest Auto Salon in Apple Vally has done my cars.

3. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

i had a guy out of buffalo do mine, 35% all the way around and a 5% eyebrow on the windshield

4. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

My friend (local shop) did my SRT-4, prolly have him re-do my Rex. Turns out Lake City Cops dont like 20% tint. Whiners ;)

5. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

I've had a place down in Savage do windows in a couple cars/trucks. Gjerdes Is the name spelling is questionable, My truck needs to be redone now, after 5 years.

6. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I have had my wrx done there and the the rear redone after the hail.... also my wife's car too... they are quick and do a great job..

Mention teh Australian guy from Meineke recommended them...!!! maybe they will do you a good price?!?!?????

7. kimmigt

kimmigt Subie Godess

There was a group buy earlier this year at Street Scenes up near Coon Rapids. I am very happy with the job they did on my Tint. They were incredibly nice, fast and did an great job.

Good luck

8. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Street Scenes in Blaine did a real good job on my car too at group buy.

9. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

Was it Kevin with shaded images? If so that is who did my car as well, he graduated high school a year before me.

If you want cheap and ok work, he is the guy.
    If you want not as cheap but really good work, I suggest tintmasters.

10. JeWrX

JeWrX Well-Known Member

I vote Tintmasters, they did a great job on mine and the diamond warranty against bubbling, purpling or intentional damage is FTW!

11. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

ya that sounds about right it was done early summer, i think that mine turned out ok and the price was right at the time

12. Egg

Egg New Member

Decided to bump this thread as I have a question about tinting.

Does anyone know if the tinting process is reversible? I can't see why it wouldn't be with a film, I imagine its just a pain to do. I'm assuming most of the shops that do the installs also can do the removal as well. Curious if anyone has had any experience with this.

I'm definately looking for a good tint. Also recommendations on what type of tint to get on a black car. I got a legacy and want dark, but classy looking.

13. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

All tint is removable (so I think). In some cases Ive heard a chemical is applied to loosen the film from the window, but most of the time, getting a razor under one edge and peeling it slowly will remove it.

The worst part would probably be if there was residue left over. I'm sure some goo-gone and an hour would have it all off though.

14. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

Auto Visions in Eden prairie

15. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

16. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I should get back into Tinting, I think I could make a living off Subies alone.... ;)

To remove tint, use Ammonia/Water mix (strong as you can stand it)... Peel the tint off with your fingers starting in a corner, it will leave the adhesive behind. The Ammonia will turn the adhesive to a sticky goo that can be scraped off the window relatively easy. This stuff will stick to about anything, though (easily removed). There are other ways, but this is the simplest....

17. wrxtypething

wrxtypething New Member

I've been tinted. I ended up going with a local shop in West St. Paul who did a pretty nice job. (Castro's)

18. Egg

Egg New Member

Some good advice. I appreciate it. The first thing I want to get done to my Legacy is tinting it. Can't be driving around in a new black sube with no tint now can I?

19. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Watch the percentage when you get it tinted. I have 15% in the back and 50% on driver/passenger windows and had a State Trooper do a 180 on Hwy 10 just to pull me over. I got off with a warning.

If you are in good with your eye doctor you might be able to get them to write you a prescription for extra tint on your vehicle windows for your "sensitive" eyes. You just have to carry the Rx in your car.

20. hofit

hofit Well-Known Member

Had mine done at the same place. I'm happy with their work.

21. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yep, be warned. I have 13% in the rears on my car. And I've been pulled over in Red Wing, the fine is about 140 bucks.

22. PRA4SNO

Will's (sevenrex's) tint is AWESOME. they used a really great product and did a fantastic job on it. The tint has a metallic compound that makes it almost completely 1-way.

readymix, I thought that tint laws in minnesota were 5% in rears, 50% front, NONE windsheild.

23. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

LOL, nope. 50% maximum on windows and 0% on the windshield.

24. PRA4SNO

huh. Good to know.

25. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

How about ballpark cost of tinting all 4 side windows?

26. Rexarew

Rexarew Subie Girl

Trucken america costs about 47$ per window.
    The rear window counts as two. Expect them to keep your car for a day.

27. SomethingsWrong

One of the guys there also has a side business. Cheaper and takes less than 2 hours.

28. SomethingsWrong

Sending PM

29. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

$30 if you do it yourself! It's not really that hard to tint the door windows. The back one I left alone for difficulty level and the fact that I wanted the B.P. police to be able to see me when they're behind me! I did them a year and a half ago and no tickets yet. Autozone,Gila gunmetal mirrored tint,don't remember the % though. Patience and 30 bucks, maybe a beer or two to keep you mellow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.