Window Tinting

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Trenar, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenar

Trenar Active Member

Can anyone give me the typical price for window tinting and a good place to go to have it done?

Thanks

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I just got a ticket for illegal tint. 132 dollars. Keep this in mind when you are choosing your tint level.

3. Trenar

Trenar Active Member

Gjerdes said $240 for a tint job on my 05 WRX. is that out of line? Any other locations with a better price?

4. readymix

what windows are you going to have done? Mine cost me 155.00

5. bluebaru06

bluebaru06 New Member

6. readymix

Bah, don't rub it in.

BTW, there is more to it than just window tint...i got hit for a couple other dumb things...

1199 Illegal Writing in Window
    1108 Loud Exhaust.

7. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

they got you for loud exhuast and the wrxfanatics sticker? geez.

we had a group buy going on for a while it was like 175 or so for any tint you want.

i prefer no tint :-P less reasons for me to get pulled over (i already have enough)

8. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

All depends if you want the windows taken out or not...

9. bluebaru06

bluebaru06 New Member

LOL...what'd you do, screw his wife??? He was making crap up to nail you for.

10. readymix

Actually, the writing in the window can fall under the laws regarding windows and obstructions...but that means Subaru is a multiple offender since they put a sticker that says "All Wheel Drive" in the rear window...I was guilty from the start.

11. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

yah techinically no sticker int eh windows, no dice from mirrors, no park stickers or parking passes.. nada! zilch zero!

12. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

Tintmasters pulls the windows, not sure what they charge. but my friend says they do great work.

13. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

is steveo your friend

14. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

tintmasters is $265 for all the windows except the windshield.

oh and new location in burnsville.

15. JustBlaze

JustBlaze BANNED

Midwest auto salon is 200 i think for all on a for door, and that comes with life time warranty i believe, it may even be cheaper

16. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

readymix_wrx - what percentage of tint do you have on your windows? I was thinking of having mine done, but can do without the tickets.

As far as the exhaust goes, I think you should be able to contest it if you can prove you are below the legal db level

17. bluebaru06

bluebaru06 New Member

So that means everytime they put that "change your oil in XXX miles" sticker" in your window they are actually breaking the law.

That kind of demonstrates that the law is flexible and the officer has lattitude to enforce it or not. Otherwise we would all be getting pulled over all the time for the sticker in the window. Bring that to court with a photo of the judges car.

edit) Bluebaru06

Ok, here's the statute: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/71.html

It basicaly says nothing non transparent on any window. I guess the "change oil" stickers fall under transparent. That means you can get nailed for a radar detector attached to the windshield but not on the visor or attached to the dashboard.

Here's all the MN traffic laws. http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/ 169.693 is the law covering noise levels

And here's the EPA rules on noise, the traffic section is at the end. MN traffic law states that the EPA rules on noise levels will govern the noise levels. www.pca.state.mn.us/programs/pubs/noise.pdf

The chart shown is a little hard to read but if you interpolate the data on the chart you will get the following: 95Db @ 5ft, 89Db @ 10ft, 83Db @ 20ft and 75Db at 50ft. This is from the MN EPA regs section 7030.1060.

At the very minimum, the cop MUST have a Db meter, he MUST take a measurement of Db levels, 3 feet off the ground at 5, 10 or 20 feet back and he MUST use the A weighted scale on the Db meter. If he did something like this he got you, if not he can't give you a ticket for loud pipes.

The law states that violations of noise levels are based solely on the EPA regulations governing noise control and those regs outline in detail the procedures that they have to go through to verify noise levels. The procedures are a bit heinous and I'm sure very few cops do them let alone even know what the procedures are. I would takk that thing to court, bring a copy of the EPA regs and the traffic law, ask the cop where his recording sheet is with the decible levels that he took at the scene, ask to see his decible meter and it's required calibration sheet and then ask the judge to throw the ticket out since the cop can't produce anything other than his "opinion" that the pipes were too loud.

18. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Can i ask what suburb nailed you on the 1108?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.