Windshield install gone wrong, ideas?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by babiker712, May 18, 2011.

1. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple rock chips in my windshield and had the windshield replaced by Safelite this morning through my auto insurance, Progressive. This was first thing in the AM. I went out to move my car after 8 hours, and when I went to start, my ignition now makes the sound of a Metronome going at super speed and the engine won't fire. What did they do, and how the hell did they do it during a windshield install? I fail to see how this would be coincidental, just as I fail to see how this could have occurred. And yes, the car has power to all accessories.

2. babiker712

Think it might be the starter?

3. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

Have you tried jumping it? Low battery will cause the solenoid to kick in but not turn over, creating the repeatative clicking noise.

4. me_john85

me_john85 Member

yeah maybe when installing it they bumped a map light or you left one on. Sounds like the starter relay to me. try jumping it

5. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

low battery. do your lights dim with the clicks?

6. babiker712

Sorry it took awhile to update. I posted because what was weird, was that I had full power and audio---sustained, no dimming of lights or other accessories. Sure enough after some digging (15 minutes after original post), he had hit the map light and I jumped it and it was fine. I guess since I installed the Sub and Amp the power draw on low battery was low enough it wasn't able to kick over, but I still think it's strange that it happened without a full power failure given all the accessories. Anyways, enjoy my n00b moment. I'm sure I'll provide you with many more at some point.