Winter Car Control Clinic 1/24/10 on Lake Cynthia

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by idget, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Date:

1/24/2010 9:30am-4:30pm
    (those interested are encouraged to join the instructors and organizers for food and drinks at the MN horse and hunt club 1 mile down the road)

Lake Cynthia

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...4.627008,-93.47838&spn=0.022693,0.032573&z=15

Cost:

$100
    MNSOC Members +paypal fees
    $125 Non-members (membership can be purchased for $12) +paypal fees[Payments can be made to [email protected] Just include your full name, screen name, and "for winter car control" If you can't pay via paypal, pm me for payment options]

payments due Saturday, January 16.

Instructors:

Brent C
    Mark U
    Matt S
    more tbd

General description:

Join us for a day of driving instruction focusing on winter car preparation, equipment, safety, and driving instruction.

Come out and slide around on Lake Cynthia for a full day of winter car control/accident avoidance driving instruction!

The beginning of the day will focus on general concepts and tips regarding winter car control and accident avoidance. You will receive instruction on proper car set-up, safety, and equipment as it relates to weather conditions and vehicle dynamics.

The rest of the day will allow you a chance to experience the concepts and situations discussed in the classroom session. We will provide a safe, controlled, and fun environment where students will receive direct guidance and feedback from skilled instructors through various elements

Focus will be on car control, accident avoidance, and safety, but advanced instruction will be given to advanced students based on instructor discretion.

This event will be directed by our talented and accomplished group of instructors. We will have 1 instructor per every 2-3 students available.

Required Equipment:

·Radios – you are required to have a working FRS radio with new batteries. MNSOC has frs radios available for rent at $5 per radio per day.
    ·Working vehicle that passes tech inspection. Tech sheet on post #2 of this thread (it will be simple and will cover things like a secured battery and no broken suspension or gushing fluids).

Food/facilities

No food will be provided, but we will be scheduling time for lunch as well as meeting after the event to eat, drink, recap, and BS.

There will be no restroom facilities on site (sorry ladies), but the hunt club is a mile down the road. We will also be taking breaks throughout the day as needed.

Misc:

You can find event details from last year's clinic here:
    http://mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=543732#post543732

If you'd like to volunteer to help with the event, please email me.

Let's make this year's event even more fun than last year!

This will be on the same lake/course that the Audi club uses. Many thanks to them for sharing this venue! Although our curriculum will not be the same as theirs, here's a video from prezawagon demonstrating the surface and some of the elements you'll be maneuvering:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...333&ei=Fo1DS6rAHuOFlgecy6zlDQ&q=lake+cynthia#

2. idget

MNSOC Winter Car Control Event

Tech Inspection list

All loose items removed from driver and co-pilot area including floor mats. Any heavy or movable objects in the trunk and storage areas removed.

Snap-on hub caps and other detachable accessories (e.g. fender skirts, trim rings) removed. No “spinner knobs”

Convertible, targa or t-top vehicles must have their factory hard top panels securely in place.

Lug nuts tight, correctly installed, none missing.

Tires in good condition (no cords or belts showing, no cracks, etc.) and inflated to 32 psi minimum.

Seat belt(s) present and properly attached.

Positive throttle return (Does not apply to drive by wire)

No excessive leaks (engine running)

Brakes in proper working order

Wheel bearings, steering and suspension in good working order.

Battery tightly secured, positive terminal insulated.

FRS Radio with fresh batteries.

3. idget

instructor details:

Mark Utecht
    screen name: mayhem83
    started in motorsports in 1986 running local autocross events. He won multiple championships in the next 10 years running cars ranging from a Honda Civic to a V-8 powered Dodge Challenger. In 1991, Mark began his road racing experience in a Dodge Omni. He won many class championships and set lap records at his home track of Brainerd International Raceway. He still holds a lap record at BIR 13 years after it was set. In 1993, while he was still autocrossing and road racing, he and a couple friends tried ice racing in the off season. He continues to ice race today. In 1995, he was encouraged by a good friend to give stage rally a try. This is where Mark found his true passion. Starting in a Dodge Omni GLH turbo, he won regional and divisional championships. In 1997 he won his first national stage rally championship in the Group 5 class. He repeated the championship in 2000. He went on to win the 2001 ClubRally and ProRally Production GT national championships in a Mistubishi Eclipse. From 2002 to 2005, he ran a Subaru WRX in the hotly contested Group N class in stage rally. While earning multiple event wins, championships eluded him, coming 2 in both 2003 and 2004. In 2006, he returned to 2wd in a Ford Mustang and won the national Group 5 championship. Mark has been an instructor for the BIR Performance Driving School for two years and a 3 time previous Chief Driving Instructor for SCCA driver's schools.

Here are some of Mark's recent accomplishments:
    2008 Rally America Stage Rally Group 5 Champion
    2008 Sports Car Club of America RallyCross Modified 4 Wheel Drive Champion.
    2007 Snow States Autosports Club Stage Rally Driver of the Year.
    2008 International Ice Racing Association Overall Sprint and Endurance Champion.

Brent Carlson
    Screen Name: Stick

Background:
    - 2003; Placed in the top 10 at the MN Mazda Rev-it-up event.
    - 2003; I attended my first Ojibwe Forests Rally.
    - 2006; I first participated in RallyCross through the SCCA
    - 2007; I began co-driving in Rally America’s open class
    - 2008; I attended my first International Ice Racing Association ice race. I competed in the remainder of the season in the car that I purchased at the first event

Credentials:
    - SCCA Central Division RallyCross Steward
    - SCCA RallyCross Safety Steward

Accomplishments:
    - 2006 Stock AWD Champion; Land o’ Lakes Region RallyCross
    - 2006 RallyCross Driver of the year
    - 2007 Stock AWD Champion; Land o’ Lakes Region RallyCross
    - 2007 Snow States Auto Club Stage Rally Co-Driver of the year
    - 2007 Rally America Central Region Open Class Co-Driver Champion
    - 2008 SCCA National RallyCross Champion in Prepared AWD
    - 2008 M2 Champion (tied with Mark Holden); Land o’ Lakes Region RallyCross

Previous Instructing Experience:
    - Cross Country Ski Instructor
    - Assistant Instructor, Herzing College
    - Down Hill Ski Instructor

Other experience:
    - Participated in the Audi Quattro Club Ice Race (RallyCross on Ice)
    - Organizer for the divisional/National Challenge RallyCross in 2007 and 2008

4. rallywife

rallywife New Member

So, Mark, did you volunteer Brent for this one???

5. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

so i notic that the last one had a maxium limit of people does this year have a limit
    also when do u need money by? can i pay some now and the rest later when i figure out my money status??

6. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

also, is Sheen doing this with the Porsche?

7. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

WOW, thats a good price for all that experience and knowledge! I hope I can take part in this!

8. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

What about soft-top convertibles with roll-hoops? (S2000)

9. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I'd pay 200 to see this!:biggrin:

10. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

I'd add to that :laugh:

11. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

Damn was really looking forward to coming to this.. dont think i can swing the funding... Can I give you an IOU till feb 15 when i get paid??

12. idget

No, he volunteered himself

There will only be a maximum if we get to that point. We don't want to overload our instructors and we want to insure the participants get as much direct 1:1 direction as possible. We're lucky to have so many great instructors on board.

If I can get tires in time.

Only if you run with the top down :eek3: Just kidding.

Pretty sure, yes. I'll double check with our insurance carrier tomorrow and report back as soon as I have an answer.

You've never made good on a bet or promise. At least based on what Sara tells me.

No, no payment plans or lay-away payments:laugh: We'll talk tonight, I might have an option for you.

13. carl

carl Well-Known Member

:ugh:

14. idget

Don't act like you don't know.:yumyum:

15. rallywife

rallywife New Member

He forgot to mention that to me :)

16. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I'm sure Dan is happy I've never made good on Sara's bets...now if you're referring to my SaraH...that's another story:biggrin:

Huge bump for great event and another chance to see sheen roll his car again!;)

Seriously though, this is a great opportunity for the average joe to get out there and stretch their subaru legs and learn a lot while doing so. I hope the class fills up!!!!:)

17. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

anyway i could bring someone with me and we will switch off driving my car??

18. Platinum Coan

Platinum Coan Well-Known Member

Where will the classroom session be held at?

19. idget

If you are both registered and paid, yes. I'll be accounting for multiple driver cars when I set up the agenda. I'm shooting for drivers of multiple driver cars to get as much seat time as everyone else.

TBD, but most likely the same place as last year (Davanni's off 694 and Lexington).

The classroom session will be led by Mark Utecht and will provide participants with an opportunity to learn all the theory behind what you'll be practicing the next day. We'll also make time for an open ended Q&A session.

20. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

now all i need to do is convince my woman she needs to go to it haha

21. idget

bump!

22. idget

bump for payments!

23. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

Bump. Excellent instructors and it's on a lake so pretty sure there's gonna be some snow and ice. This is a great event for people to get some practice in really challenging conditions.

Here's a pic from Lake Cynthia from 2008.
    [​IMG]

24. Platinum Coan

Platinum Coan Well-Known Member

My wife and I are in! She will be in the WRX and I'll be driving the SVX. :D Sounds like it will be tons of fun and lots of seat time, can't wait. :)

25. idget

Event has been postponed. Stay tuned for updates

26. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Did you get this figured out? PM me when the event is done and I'll take care of this thread for you :)

27. idget

Canceled for this year :(

However, for those interested, the audi club (glacier lakes quattro club) has a few more events scheduled for this season. Their events are very fun and very reasonably priced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.