Winter Driving School @ DCTC Evening class Dec 1

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Musashi, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

http://www.northstarbmw.org/drivingschools.aspx

• Winter Driving Schools - These are (relatively) low speed events designed to teach braking, cornering and general car handling in a safe environment. We set up slalom exercises, braking and lane change exercises, a wet skid pad, and cornering exercises.

These clinics are great for:

New drivers (must have a valid license or drivers permit - under 18 must have a signed parental consent)
    New car - get used to that new car (or tires or suspension) in a safe environment
    Refresher - every other year wouldn't hurt any driver; we forget the basics, we get sloppy. This is a tune up!
    Preparatory - we recommend one of these courses before going to one of our Performance Driving Schools for the first time.

Overview:

Are you interested in learning more about how your car reacts at the limits, or how you would react in an emergency situation? Have you thought about attending our driving school at Brainerd, but are still a little intimidated by the higher speeds? Would you like to help your significant other become a better, more confident driver? Well, now is your chance! Imagine knowing what to do when your car begins to slide, or being in control during that panic stop. Car control skills are learned skills that can only be improved with practice and seat time, and this will be a chance to experience plenty of seat time in a safe, controlled environment.

Our Clinics are open to all club members and their family members wanting to learn more about enhancing driver skills and understanding the capabilities of their cars. Our goal is to prepare you with a fundamental foundation of skills from which you can further develop your driving abilities. Each participant receives personalized instruction provided by experienced club Instructors. All participants must register in advance. Registration can be performed through our website. Two driver cars are allowed.

If you have further questions after reading this information, please contact Sheldon Nelson by email at [email protected] or phone at 763.542.1485

Program Synopsis:

The day long event will consist of both classroom instruction and driving exercises. Each exercise is prefaced with a short talk about concepts specific to the respective exercise. The drills include a skid pad, a slalom course, and a braking and accident avoidance simulation. In these exercises you will learn the proper use of the steering wheel, brakes, and throttle as elements of car control. We want all students to increase their awareness for what their car is doing under a variety of circumstances, and why. These exercises are intended to better prepare you for situations that may be encountered when at speed on the track, as well as everyday driving. Towards the end of the day we will incorporate these elements into a short road course to help you demonstrate your newly acquired skills.

Our objective is to improve your awareness to vehicle dynamics, provide you with fundamental driving skills, and produce safe and controlled drivers. Safety and being in control is our top priority at this and all Club driving events.

School Procedures:

Registration: Registration must be made in advance. Register by filling out and submitting an on-line application. Each driver must register separately. Payment should preferably be made via PayPal, alternately we will accept a check mailed in. Mailed in applicants will be confirmed via e-mail (if supplied).

Schedule: Please plan to arrive at the site by 8:30am at the latest. The main gates to the facility will open at 8:00. We start promptly at 9:00, with the school usually ending around 4:30p.m. The school will be conducted rain, snow, sleet, mush, sunlight, clouds, ice, etc... so be prepared accordingly. We will have a lunch break of not more than one hour. Lunch will be catered.

Vehicles and Technical Inspections: All vehicles in good mechanical working condition will be allowed at this event. Convertibles will also be allowed to participate. All cars must have operating seatbelts or harnesses. If there is a question about the appropriateness of your vehicle, please contact Sheldon Nelson at 763.542.1485.

In the interest of safety for all the participants, technical inspections will be performed on all cars by your instructor with you prior to the start of the school. Things that will be looked at will include tire condition and pressure, functional brakes, leaking fluids, secure battery, and loose items in the car. Please ensure that all loose items are removed from the car AND trunk before the school (including floor mats). Anything loose in the car has the potential to become a projectile!

Helmets: Helmets are NOT required to participate in this school.

Preparation: Rolls & juice will be on hand, but recommend a complete breakfast before arriving (my Mom would be proud). It will be very important that you stay hydrated: recommend water & sports drinks, and avoiding caffeine. You will have to empty your car of all loose items - bring a tarp and/or container to protect your stuff from the elements. Recommend jeans, long-sleeve shirt, sunscreen, etc. (common sense stuff). Make sure you have a full tank of gas and that your tire pressures are on the high side of what's recommended on the door pillar.

Please consider:

• You should read and understand the above article BEFORE registering.
    • Both students for 2-Driver cars (one car shared by two students) must submit separate applications - we ask for the "name of driver sharing the car" only to ensure both students are not in the same run group!

If you have any interest in any or all of these schools, contact coordinators listed below. And if you would like to volunteer - bless you! - and contact the appropriate person listed below.

All of our schools require a valid driver's license. Drivers under the age of eighteen require a signed parental consent form.

We don't have one Driving Events Coordinator; we have multiple people responsible for these schools.
    Driving Event Coordinators:

• Teen Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Winter Driving - [email protected]
    • Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Advanced Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Advanced Driving Schools- [email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you at the event!

Cheech

2. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

thank you for posting this chong. I've been trying to find out where to register the last couple of weeks, but their site has just been crap lately.

I'm going. Who else is in???

3. Musashi

Just and FYI: currently their online registration is not working and spoke with the Chief Instructor and he is going to give it a week and will come up with another way to get students registered. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email Winter Driving - [email protected]

Thanks,

Cheech

4. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested, my wife and I were just talking this last weekend about doing a winter driving course. I'll read through their site more tonight.

Thanks for posting this,
    Joel

5. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

You better practice for January .)

6. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i know its not the same but ill be practicing in parking lots

7. Cole

Cole New Member

I'll probably be signing up, along with the wifey.

8. Musashi

WOW I am overwhelmed with the show of interest. The benefits of this particular event is your driving at night, low visability, hopefully there is snow, and lots of fun.

The club usually has two winter clinic's, one in Decemeber and Feburary. Besides students they are also in need of course volunteers so if you'd like to help please do so by emailing the staff or just show up.

9. techy101

techy101 Well-Known Member

I'm also very interested in this class.

10. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat intrested. it's very dependant on cost.
    but i could really use a place to hash out the scooby in my first winter with AWD.

11. McTom

McTom Guest

Yea that looks fun

12. Musashi

Event Fee: $50 No membership required to participate in this event!

13. beeloo

beeloo New Member

For that price, im definitely interested!

14. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

what?!?! they never made you become a member before...whats the deal.

15. prezawagon

Sounds like a fair price to me, as long as they don't mind having subaru-driving members in the bmw club. :)

Anyway, can you post a message here when the method of registration is decided? I'll keep an eye on the website, but I'd really like to make sure we can get into this.

Thanks,
    Joel

16. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

I'm kicking this around as well. This will be my first winter with the STI and I should learn to drive it in the snow.

17. Musashi

LOL you guys make me chuckle.....Thanks.

First of all this is probably the best club I've had the pleasure of being apart of. Lots of great people, they welcome all type of cars. I know what you guys saying I was kinda worried myself but they have been very nice to me. And if you didnt know I'm the only Subaru Instructor and hey I'm also the only little asian guy teaching these RWD BMW guys just how fast a Subaru AWD can really be.

The club has noticed a greater interest from the Subaru and AWD driver in general. With that said I encourage other experienced drivers to participate and become an instructor if desired. I am looking forward to the spring Instructors Training. I am not sure who the celebraty Instructor will be for 2006 but it doesnt really matter, the opportunity to work with and learn from a professional is all that matters.

Hey guys dont get discouraged, its not a competition, there are no trophies; its just a whole lot of fun!

I dont know what you guys call your Subaru, but I call mine "My Minnesota Car!"

18. Musashi

I promise to post all the lastest information as I get them. The membership fee is to protect you and the club. Its good for 1 yr, or register for 2.
    Justin-I think you went to a Basic Car Control last year where it was open to everyone including those who did not have membership. Thats what I recall.

Each exercise is setup to simulate road situations.

If you have any questions post them here I'm sure others may have them too, and I will try and answer them or get an answer for you. Otherwise just call or email the staff.

Cheech

19. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

I'd like to echo what Mushashi said about the club - they really are a fantastic group of people with a wide range of experience who genuinely care about making their students better drivers. My first experience with the club was last year's winter driving school (though there wasn't any snow...) and I signed up for membership right after that.
    Last year they didn't require membership for the cheaper schools - I think that was a great idea because it gives you a chance to check out the club before you join, but at the same time I guess I understand the liability thing as well.
    One note - you will have an instructor with you basically the whole time you are driving. If that's an issue for you, I'd suggest getting over it because they'll keep you safe and may even teach you a thing or two. ;) They're there to improve your experience and are very receptive to your individual needs when asked (e.g. "stop talking during this run and debrief with me later." :p )
    [/jack]
    I think I'll be there for this one... I'll know by next week. Maybe see you all there! 8)

20. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

just got off the phone with Sheldon Nelson of the club. The online registration should be up and running in the next few days. He was very excited when i told him there were probably going to be at least 5 of us.

21. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

Hey maybe I will attend this one chong since I skip the summer one.

22. Musashi

23. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

membership NOT required. w00t, i'm down

24. beeloo

beeloo New Member

did you look at the times?

Starts at 5pm?

25. Musashi

Event Type Status When

Pre-Winter Driving School - Group A 5:00PM Winter Driving Open 01-DEC-05

Pre-Winter Driving School - Group B 5:30PM Winter Driving Open 01-DEC-05

26. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Sorry Mushashi, i should have been more specific.

Earlier posts mentioned a morning time. Their calendar is showing an evening time, which is bothering me, as it is a long drive from Rochester. I guess I will end up staying overnight. Also, didnt think they would make us drive at night time.

oh well.

27. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

yeah...i'm not liking that it is in the dark. i might not go just because of that

28. Musashi

LOL There will be another one in Feburary on the weekend during the day time. Personally I think that having to train in the dark on winter conditions will really sharpen my driving skill for winter.

Beeloo-I dont know that it would be worth your time driving all the way up from Rochester, thats your call.

29. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

you really think we are going to have winter conditions on dec 1??? i think not. only in my dreams.

30. Musashi

Justin- use your imagination! LOL

31. Musashi

Just for Mr. J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

half the reason we own awd's

33. prezawagon

Ok, I just signed up for the 5:30 pm class. My wife can't make it since it's in the evening.

Anyway, who else is gonna sign up? Don't let my lowly outback sport be the only subaru representation there.. :)

34. Musashi

My wife and myself will be there. See you guys out there.

35. Shane86

it says on the online registration that membership isn't required.
    so which is right? You or the online registration?

36. Musashi

Sorry Shane86 the website is correct, "NO MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED!' I will update the forum. thnx

37. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

Signed up for the 5:30pm slot... see you all there :)

38. Musashi

IT'S ALMOST THURSDAY!

39. Shane86

is there any "severly discounted because we need to make the site fees" tickets yet? or have you guys broken even?

40. Musashi

CLASS IS OFFICALLY FULL. SEE YA OUT THERE, AND IF NOT MAYBE FEBURARY!

41. prezawagon

Well, that was a lot of fun. A little humbling though, I didn't realize how much there would be to learn since it was my first track event. But the track was great, lots of snow and ice to make things interesting and my instructor only called me a wimp once (for going too slow..).

I think I should take a brief moment of silence here for the five cones that bravely gave their lives in an attempt to help me become a better driver...

ok there. Well, I'm going to see about going in Feb with my wife too, it's pretty good experience.

Joel

42. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

lets see some pics. or did you not get any because it was at night?

43. prezawagon

Sorry, I didn't bring a camera since I was trying to keep my car as empty as possible (I don't have a small camera unfortunately...). Hopefully some of the BMW club people took photos and they'll put them up on their site.

44. Musashi

Well, the snow was just liked I had described it illistrated in the pictures above. The program was a little short, but by the second session drivers were already taking it to next level. Including some fellow Scooby drivers and one member I saw is from this board. I think I say at least 4 or 5 subaru's out there. I thought the track layout was great, it provided many different situations.

I am not sure the club had their regular photographer out there last night, but I know one of my student's father was taking a few pictures, so maybe some of those will endup on the website.

I hope to see more Scooby drivers out in Feburary.

Cheech

45. beeloo

beeloo New Member

instead of starting a new thread I will just update this thread.

Feb 12. Register Here

Who's going??