Winter tire recommendation needed for Rallyx.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ychanus, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ychanus

ychanus Well-Known Member

2. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Firestone Winterforce was the tire discussed at the class last Saturday night.

3. ychanus

I know but I can't find them for my size :( Tried both tirerack and discounttire online.

4. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

what size are you going for?

5. ychanus

You missed it from my first post (215/45R17) :)

6. carl

carl Well-Known Member

the winterforce is probably the best tire but you're right, there isn't a 17" size that is close to your stock tires. I would look at the general altimax arctics or hankook w409 ipikes as another good option. The altimax's have a relatively stiff sidewall for a snow tire which is good for rallyx.

7. ychanus

The closest size available for General Altimax Arctic is 215/50R17. I'm not sure if it will fit without rubbing.

8. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I was not impressed with the Dunlop M3. I'd recommend the General Altimax if that's available in 45 series

9. ychanus

Not available in 45 series :(

I should change my question ;)

What is the best rallyx tire available in 215/45-17 for 06 WRX?

10. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

bump, i'm waiting on this answer too, even though my 06 doesn't usually run in the winter

11. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

Are you willing to get a second set of wheels? If so, why not get a set of 16 inch wheels (stock RS six spoke should clear your brakes) and then get the 205/55/16 Winterforce. This would be the best solution in my opinion.

The other option is going with the slightly larger 17 Winterforce tire. According to the Tire Rack spec sheet, the 215/55/17 Winterforce has an overall diameter of 26.3 inches. A 215/45/17 Blizzak has a diameter of 24.7. This is a difference of 1.6 inches. If you have more than three quarters of an inch clearance from the tire to the spring seat on the front and rear of your car, the 215/55/17 Winterforce will fit fine.

Can you tell I really like the Winterforce?

12. mayhem83

13. Rally Truck

Rally Truck New Member

Cooper Weathermaster is similar to Winterforce and looks to be offered in sizes very close to yours.

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_passenger.aspx?page=weather_master_st2

http://www.coopertire.com/html/prod...master_st2&LanguageId=1&tiretype=P&sorttype=P

The 215/50/17 would be just a touch taller than a 45 series. It can be good to have a bit more ground clearance and sidewall height for winter and rally-x anyway.

J Cox

14. mayhem83

According to the spec sheet, the Cooper tire would be ~25.7 diameter so you will need at least .5 clearance to the spring seat for the tire to fit. The Cooper does not have the stepped tread block of the Winterforce. In my opinion, that is one of the reasons the Winterforce works for RallyCross.

15. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

second set of 16s is the way i would go too.

always nice to have another set of wheels to drive home on in the event of a catastrophic tire failure. knowing you will be able to drive the car home will gain you a few seconds on course.

plus a 16 will give yo a bit more sidewall to work with.

16. ychanus

The problem is that I already have a second set of wheel tire for summer autox driving (see avatar). And I have another 3 set of tires for my main autox car, I'm having too many stacks of wheel/tire in my garage currently.

Still, it is tempting for those cheap wheels from tirerack.

However, I'm seriously thinking about getting General Altimax Arctic is 215/50R17, as it might fit better than 215/55R17 Winter force.

17. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The Generals have been great on my sister's car thus far. They have more grip in the snow than my Pirelli Winter Carvings did when they were new, and don't break the bank. They just have a lower speed rating. Unless you plan on doing much more than 99 mph on winter tires, they are a solid buy.

18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Can't really speak to the rallyx function, but the hankook ipike w409's are a great winter tire, and available in that size.