Winter tires in summer

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Sheeran, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Winter tires in summer when the car is secondary transportation?

1. Yey

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Nay

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Sheeran

Sheeran Active Member

I ride on 2 wheels most of the summer and have only put about 1500 miles on my impreza since march/april. I know that dry pavement and temperature are not friendly to snow tires but how unfriendly are they? Could they survive 4ish years of year round use with that few summer miles? The car never sits more then about a week at a time and will only leave the FM metro maybe 1 or 2 times all summer for a 90 mile trip to family.

Id guess I put on about 5k miles over winter but with winter tires that would be our primary winter vehicle so it would go up to maybe 8k.

Its either blizzaks or all seasons that will dry rot before the tread is up like the current ones on the car.

Opinions?

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I ran 25k on Blizaks, left here dead of winter ended up in 70* in cali for two weeks, they have a couple seasons left in them
    All seasons bring the suck in any snow.... around here if you go all seasons your the guy on the side of the road unprepared

Sheeran likes this.
  3. Sheeran

Sheeran Active Member

Thanks for the comment. Im really leaning hard to the snow side.

4. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

The main issue is how hard you drive with the snow tires on. Hard turns, fast acceleration, hard braking, etc will make you go through winter tires in summer fairly fast

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

When we bought our WRX it came with snow tires on it (Blizzaks). Couldn't afford a summer set at the time so we rocked the already used snows for at least a summer and a half. Wasn't ideal of course but it's not like they went straight bald either.

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Also the soft tread can yield some unpleasant handling in the really warm temperatures.

Nokian makes an all-season tire called the WRG3 that's more of a snow tire that can be run year round (rated for 50k miles instead of 75k+ for most decent all-seasons) than the tradition all-season mentality of doesn't-suck-as-bad-as-a-touring-tire in the snow

7. Sheeran

Sheeran Active Member

Ill take a look at these, thanks!!!

8. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

1500 miles on warm dry pavement wont kill snow tires if you arent launching or turning hard. Snow tires have that squishy squirmy feeling on dry pavement and relatively low top speed ratings but I think they would be fine for you.