Winter tires still on!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by wrxdriver, Mar 23, 2011.

1. wrxdriver

wrxdriver Active Member

I almost switched to my summers, but I'm glad I didn't.

After I dropped my kid at school today I ran a few errands, mostly so I could drive around in this fresh snow. At one point I pulled up to a red light that has a short very steep uphill just before it. I carefully selected the steepest, slippery-est part and came to a stop. The cars behind me all waited a couple car lengths back where it's flat. Even though I knew it would be fine, I must admit it felt very unnatural to sit there in these conditions. I was going straight when the light changed.

Across the intersection I could see a guy in a Tahoe turning left. He was sitting on a nice flat grade and looking right at me. I could tell he thought I'd never get going. Sure enough when the light changed he tried to jump it and turn left in front of me. Of course it didn't work, not even close, so he had to slow and change his plan. I couldn't help laughing as I passed him.

You gotta respect the scoop! (I actually realize the scoop has nothing to do with it. But, "you gotta respect the cleverly-engineered-and-commercially-successful-Subaru-symetrical-all-wheel-drive-system" just doesn't have the same ring. :) )

Anyway, I love this car.

-Mark

2. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

"respect the scoop"=love it!

3. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

I learned my lesson not to change my winter set up until May. Last year it snowed hard in mid April.

4. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Thought about throwing my summer wheels on the car last week. But I knew better. I hope next week is nice. I plan to get my BMW out of storage.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

I call that subaru POWER!!! :biggrin:

Again, if it were me i would have said this to him...

[​IMG]

6. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I have a set of "all-seasons" that I switch to before the "summers" go on. I can always deal with a little bit of snow on all-seasons. I just hate driving on snow tires over a constant 40 degrees. My winter tires still look brand new after two years for that reason. They are on for maybe 4.5 months at most.

7. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

I learned that lesson this week. :(

screw two sets of tires, this guy has three sets! :eek3: you're hardcore man.

8. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

we did switch over, but we just go to all seasons - at least until those wear out
    it's not really that bad, but lil miss 2002.5 always floors it when she loses traction :( wrong instinct...

9. predavore

Well.... technically I have 4 sets. I have two sets of all seasons. One set for each season, ya know.

10. wrxdriver

wrxdriver Active Member

I'd rather drive on all seasons during the winter then winter tires during fall and spring. I had Pilot Sport A/S's on the WRX and loved them. The second set of wheels that came with my STI have Perelli-something winters. Great in snow but too much sidewall flex the rest of the time. I'll go to A/S's once I wear them out.

I went out driving with a friend today. He has a brand new '11 WRX with the stock summer tires. On the dry curves my STI wallowed like the Edmund Fitzgerald and he'd eat me up with his WRX. On the snowy secondary roads I'd walk away while he struggled to stay between the curbs. Ah, well. Another few weeks and summers will actually make sense.

11. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

Was using winters, but switched to all-seasons with good snow ratings about two months ago after one of the winter tires blew-out on me. I figured with all-seasons, it would be nicer to not have to worry about exactly when to switch back to summer's. In the fall I can switch back once the the temps start dropping, but still have traction if the temperature keeps swinging back and forth like it tends to. Perfect example is this supposed spring that we're having.

12. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Still liking my Michelin Alpine PA3's... They don't seem to care much for deep slush though.

I'll probably swap the summers in a couple weeks.

13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I don't take my winters off until tax day.

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

You pussy's, I put my summers on my ACCORD last weekend. :cool:

15. SurlyOldManMN

So what? An accord isn't a high performance machine like a Legacy. Don't even get me started on the spec b.

16. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

fixed! haha

17. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Winter tires are off! Before and after pics below. I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DWS -Ultra High Performance All-Season for summer just in case we get more snow this spring and/or early snow in the fall. View attachment 24398 View attachment 24399

18. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

Car is at the shop right now getting the winters switched out. As i bought it on 12/31 this will be the first time I've ever driven this car on summer tired... Hope they don't suck (as stock tires normally do).

19. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

I run my winters until i know its not gonna snow(mayish)... I dont wanna slide into a curb with the gram lights.... Predavore changes his wheels/tires more then he changes his underwear.

20. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Sooooo, once a week?

21. predavore

Seriously? I do it at LEAST twice.... a week.

22. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

No, have you smelled him, his wheels are much cleaner than his underwear!

23. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I switch mine out when I THINK it's done snowing too but that doesn't add up to S*** considering the local weathermen can't tell u if it's going to snow tomorrow accurately. That being said I get winter specific tires for the winter but stay away from tires that have a really soft rubber compound so that on warm spring and fall days they don't wear as easily but even on those days it's harder on them. I just dont have the $ to have another set of tires for both. Buuut I am too stubborn to settle for all seasons all year- I can't drive in the winter or summer without tires specified for each since I've always done it this way.

24. SurlyOldManMN

This is my new favorite game plan. There were only one or two times I missed having the characteristics WS60's available to me. There were many, many times when I was pleased to have a performance winter tire instead... including early April.

25. blak04wrx

blak04wrx Well-Known Member

No kidding! I am about to go into a frenzy driving these dang WS60s around. Please weather gods make it warm. Please?