Winter to summer tire swap

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by heel-&-toe, Mar 14, 2011.

1. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again! The time of year we all hedge our bets on when that last big snow will fall and the when temps will stay above 50-60 consistanly. I for one hate spring in MN for just this reason and my wife is tired of hearing me gripe about it. So I thought I'd get everyone elses opinion :)

When will you make the switch? Whether reports say highs from 40 - 55 over the next 10 days. My plan is to wait until I see 60+ in the forecast and then take the winters off.

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

My Impreza is my beater, winters will stay on forever! It will only get driven when it needs to be, like when the weather doesnt cooperate for motorcycles/fieros. The tribeca has all seasons, 255/55/18s are assanine in winter tires!

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Same story on my impreza. It couldn't possibly look worse right now lol On the other cars I wait till the salt and sand is all gone... so several weeks and strong rainfalls after all the snow has melted. There's nothing worse than a sandblasted finish on some baller wheels due to a quick jaunt on the freeway.

4. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

You don't need to really worry about tearing up your winter tires until you see 60 degrees at night. If the ambient air temps aren't staying that warm, the pavement isn't getting that warm during the day and you won't be tearing up the winter tires that much. Unless your alignment sucks that is, but I can only speak for myself and the 8 years I've ran winter tires.

5. j_rex

j_rex Active Member

I've switched to gravel tires already to handle the potholes. They suck with any snow though, probably worse than summers.

6. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

i'm trying to wear down the rest of my all seasons right now, sheen has my summers in storage and they may never be seen by me again.

so once the A/S tires wear out and I do not want to melt the winters down on clover leafs, we will see.

but i have been off winters and on to my daily driving set of wheels for a few weeks now.

7. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I haven't driven my car all winter. So the summers are still on. I'll likely switch Aegis' tires around on May 1st.

8. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

You're winter tires have been in my garage for the last three months. :hsugh:

I'll probably swap in the next month or so.

9. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, I know :(

10. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

also depends if your swapping tires or entire wheels, only takes me 20 min to swap my winter wheels back on in case of a sudden snow storm, so switching to summers early on is no problem.

11. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

It is for this reason that I will swap early, only to find out it is going to snow the next day.... or to bend another rim.