WRX comparo Question '04-'05 vs. '06-'07

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JesseJames, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Alright everyone, I've been on numerous forums, read up on the technical differences for the most part but there are a few things I need help answering when comparing a 2004-2005 vs. 2006-2007 WRX.

What I want to buy must be a wagon w/ a 5sp and will also serve as my DD, so keep that in mind. The budget is to spend around $15k (less is of course better), this why I've narrowed it down to 2004-2007. I average about 20,000 miles a year so longevity and lower mileage are important to me. Please don't tell me to just get a 2010 STI, if I could, I would!

Here's what I know when comparing the two:
    2.0L vs. 2.5L, different front end (headlights, bumper, foglights). standard stereo improves for '06, 17" wheels and bigger brakes start in '06.

The things I don't know or would like input on relate more to any differences in terms of how the car holds up in MN winters.
    How well does the paint, trim, etc. hold up? Any major changes in materials, manufacturing techniques, etc. that effects these?

My biggest fear is rust, I hate it, my current daily driver was great for the first year and then it started...and it wont stop and yes I regularly wash my car. After some forum research I found out that this was extremely common for that particular vehicle in that spot, so I got over it, but none the less if there are any known trouble spots for rust on the WRX please let me know.

Lastly, if I've overlooked a previous post here or elsewhere on the web that would help answer these sort of questions just shoot me the link. Thanks everyone!

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The trouble spots I see for rust are where the front bumper meets the fender. And sometimes on the roofline/a-pillars...but that is less common. Keeping your car clean has nothing to do with rust prevention. Because rust isn't caused by dirt. It is caused by salt, and not waxing your car on a regular basis. Also, scratches to the paint will open up the metals underneath for rust. If you don't like rust, take good care of your car's paint.

As far as mechanicals are concerned, I'm not aware of any issues for any of those years. They are all pretty much the same car, aside from the larger displacement for the 06-07. If i were you, I'd get the 06+ with the 2.5L. The torquey nature of it will make it a much more street worthy car. Not that the 2.0L is a bad engine, but if I had the option, I'd take the larger displacement.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

You've about narrowed down the differences. The exterior and paint quality is about the same on this range of MY's. If you want to prevent rust, find a car that's been well maintained, and be sure you do your best to maintain the quality of the paint as you own it.

IMHO, no question, if you can afford it, go for an 06+ WRX. If you want a direct comparison, my advice would be to test drive both, the 2.5L engine feels much much different from the 2.0L while daily driving.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yea, pretty much all subarus are a bit prone to rust where the bumpers meet the fenders. there's a bolt/clip that holds the end of the bumper to the fender, this can cause a scratch in the paint, and the rust begins.

It's not a huge issue...the car isn't going to dissolve, and it probably won't start until 100k or so. But if it's going to happen, that's where it'll be. I don't think any one body style is more or less prone to it, other than the age and mileage. you'll probably have better luck with a newer car holding up longer, but not because it's made differently....

washing the salt off in the winter helps a ton. make sure that spot stays as clean as you can. and like jason said, take care of your paint.

5. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

hey, why are we leaving the bugeyes out of this conversation?

6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Well, wax build up and dirt does promote early rust since dirt and debris will hold moisture (in our case in MN, salt water). Both body styles share the same rear quarter/rear bumper design, so maintaining those areas will be the same (pull the fender liner, clean out any debris, inspect for paint chips.

The biggest difference (other than the 2.5L in the 06-07 and the other points you mentioned) when it comes to daily drivability and comfort is the interior imho. The 02-04 share the same layout where you have 1 cupholder by your ebarke and another above your stereo in the dash. 05-07 interior adds a second cupholder to your center console, deletes the dash cupholder, and moves the side mirror controls next to your driver's side window controls on the door card. Small details, but those are the things you're asking about, right? The trans was revised for 06 as well (dual cone synchros in first, making downshifting at a stop sign much easier). I don't think you will be disappointed in any, but my suggestion would be to look for an 06. There were no major revisions in 07 aside from aesthetics (dechromed headlights and taillights, color matched front bumper vent) and the ecu. I suppose an 07 might still have warranty, but I would imagine any major warranty claims (pistons) would have occurred by now.

7. JesseJames

JesseJames Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know. It's funny how big a difference the little things can make when you spend a lot of time in your car (ie the # of cup holders, layout, etc. thx idget). Also the difference in drive-ability due to more torque was something I hadn't thought too much about, but another very good point. As far as the rust issues go, sounds like I need to keep her clean and some fresh wax now and again and I should be good. If anyone else wants to chime in please do.

Regarding the bug-eye's vs. the newer style headlights, I've heard if a HID conversion is in the future the '06+ makes a better candidate.

On that note, I'll be offloading a 2006 CBR F4i, keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section (I don't want to hijack my own thread here). Thanks again.

8. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

06-07>04-05! Any day of the week.

We will just say, 07 wrx+vf39=blast!

9. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

I've owned both '04 and '06 WRX wagons......don't even bother with the '04 if you can get an '06 or '07 one. The overall build quality is higher in the '06 and is a more refined vehicle. Another thing that was changed was a quicker steering rack similar to the STi was added in '06 as well. The ABS also isn't horrid when compared to an '04 or older -- and small bump in the road on those will cause the ABS to FREAK OUT if you are braking (always happened to me on freeway off ramps).

And no, I'm not saying that because I currently own an '06 -- I recently sold it.

10. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Umm, because he doesn't want a 7 or 8 year old car?

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle Well-Known Member

Besides the differences already mentioned, the 06 got aluminum control arms in the front (sedan only), 4 pot brakes in the front, 2 pot in the rear, bigger brake rotors front and rear, better seats (but not as nice material), AVCS with the 2.5L, uprated horsepower, and I don't recall if they changed the rear sway bar.

I'm sure there are some other differences which I can not remember, but the 06 was a huge upgrade over the 05.

~Dan

12. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Brake rotors are actually the same on the 06-07, but better calipers. The quicker ratio steering rack came in 05, along with the better interior layout.

And yes, popping in a set of HIDs in the 06/07 is AMAZING.

13. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

I second the HID claim