WRX Cruise Control Issue

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Bob03WRXwagon, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob03WRXwagon

Bob03WRXwagon New Member

I have a 03 WRX Wagon (MT)and I am having a weird problem with my cruise control. When I am stuck in stop & go traffic, my engine starts to idle high (around 1500 rpm). The longer I'm in traffic, the worst it gets, sticking around 3000 rpm. If I try to rev the engine to get it to come back down it idles down very slowly until it gets back to around 3000 rpm. I have pulled over and looked under the hood and I can see that it is actually the cruise control cable pulling on the throttle body. If I push it down, the engine idles normally until it touch the gas, then it jumps back up to around 3000. It seemd like it is some how heat related, because as soon I get out of stop & go and get some cool air under the hood for about 5 minutes, the problem goes away. I don't do a lot of stop & go, so this problem doesn't come up too much, but it is starting to bug me. It is still under warranty, so I'm going to take it into Subaru, but I wanted to see if anyone has heard of this problem. I called my dealer and they have never heard of this before. ANYONE? Thanks!

2. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

Do you still have the turbo heat shield installed?

Have you ever run the car for any length of time with the shield off?

3. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

I believe there was a cruise control recall on the 03 wrx's. I had one on mine atleast and dont know if it was specific to 4EATs but there was a recall. Definately take it into the dealership for that unless you already have done so.

4. TjDunklee

TjDunklee Well-Known Member

It was a recall done by Subaru. They will fix it at no charge if you just bring it in. Here is the info from edmunds about the recall:

Defect: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE COULD COME OUT OF ITS TRACK ON THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER AND LODGE ON THE CONTROL LEVER TAB WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS RELEASED. IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, THE THROTTLE WILL NOT RETURN TO THE IDLE POSITION BUT REMAIN IN AN OPEN POSITION.

Consequences: IF THIS OCCURS DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, THE DRIVER COULD LOSE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CRUISE CONTROL CABLE RETAINING CLIP TO THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER TAB ON THE THROTTLE SHAFT IN ORDER TO PREVENT THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE FROM COMING OUT OF ITS TRACK. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.

5. Bob03WRXwagon

Bob03WRXwagon New Member

Thanks for the input. I have already had the CC recall done, but it don't fix the problem (I though it was the possible cause of the problem too). Also, I bought the car used with 16,000 miles (now has 26,000) and I have never run the car with the turbo heat shield off ( or made any exhaust changes . . . yet), I have no idea what the previous owner did. Anyone else? I am going to try and get it in to Subaru in the next week. I will report back on what they find, or don't find. Thanks.

6. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I ran my WRX without a heatsheild before my dp and now with the dp and it hasnt had any issuess....

7. jNorthWRX

jNorthWRX Well-Known Member

i know nothing about your cruise control issue but i remember meeting with you at the last autocross, my name is jake i was in the silver 04 sedan, i remember you were saying your cruise control was acting up there. you going to the st cloud auto-x this weekend?

8. Bob03WRXwagon

Bob03WRXwagon New Member

Hi Jake, I remember you. I wish I was going to St Cloud this weekend, I will be out of town on business and my buddy with the 2000 Yellow S4 won't be there either. Hopefully I'll be at the 4th event on June 19th in St Paul. I just got my new 18 x 7.5 ADR Victory wheels, they look sweet. I just need to get new tires before the 19th. Later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.