WRX for sale in Fargo, worth it?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by j4ngl35, May 16, 2009.

1. j4ngl35

j4ngl35 Well-Known Member

In my seemingly endless quest to own a WRX, I've found a bunch of possibilities and this one arose today when a friend told me about it.

Mileage is great, only 44,000 miles. Drives and handles like a new car, everything works (except the cruise control, unless I was just having a brain fart), etc. Just a few concerns about it.

There's a bunch of scratches all over the body...On a door, on the rear bumper cover, on the trunk, the front bumper cover is cracked on the bottom as if the previous owner hit a curb, and the white paint on the wheels is starting to wear off. Biggest complaint with all that is that I'd have to fix all of the blemishes, 'cause I'm picky. Oh, and yeah I know the taillights suck. :biggrin:

Anyway, the stuff I'm really concerned about are the mods that were done to the engine. It's got a kind of cheap looking intake, couldn't find a brand name or anything on it, the exhaust was a brand I'd never heard of (GT speed or something of the sort), and a VF24 turbo had been installed. Since I'm kind of a newb to Subies, is this something I should be concerned about? It appears to be pretty stock except for what I've listed, but again I could have missed something. Is a VF24 a turbo that should have supporting mods done to run optimally? I did a quick search on the VF turbos and from what I understand it seems like kind of a bolt-on replacement, but I want to be sure. Also, I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but is there any way to tell if the car has been tuned properly? I'm gonna see if I can take the car to a shop or a Subaru dealership to see if I can get it inspected so they can pick up on anything I can't find.

I think that's all I wanted to bring up...For $9,800 do you think it's worth it? As I said, it drives and runs great, plenty of power, shifts smoothly and such, but has some cosmetic issues that I'd want to fix.

Thanks in advance guys! :biggrin:

2. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I have never seen this car in the FM area. He more then likely bought it at an auction and has no idea what is done to the car. However, if he says it has a vf24 on it, I assume he found that out somehow..

I have dealt with the person who owns that lot. Him/ his son bought my old WRX.

If you need a second opinion ask to bring it to a mechanic and have it looked over. Tintmasters does alot of Subaru stuff and can give you an opinion. Also, there is a couple other people up here that can take a look at it or take a test drive with you to figure out more.

3. j4ngl35

Yeah he did buy it at an auction, and no he doesn't know what was done to it, lol. I looked under the hood myself and found out the turbo had been replaced with a vf24, the text on it was easy enough to read where it was mounted. Thanks for the quick response! I'm going to be sure to see if I can get it to a mechanic, I'd really like to have the peace of mind knowing something wouldn't break in the event that I'd purchase the car.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd look for another car. Even with just the body blemishes, you'd be purchasing something "not perfect" that you would have to clean up.

With the market how it is, there are a ton of cars for sale for very reasonable prices. My personal suggestion would be to focus more on how the car was maintained, not just at mileage.

5. j4ngl35

Yeah, good point. I think part of me is just getting antsy since I don't have a car, and I don't like bumming rides all the time. I might still look into it just to see if I can't get the little body work figured into the loan, but we'll see. It's kind of frustrating because it seems like every WRX that shows up for sale in ND is either overpriced/out of my price range or it sells immediately. :banghead:

Gotta keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue...

6. Jinchu

Jinchu Active Member

Keep looking because everyone seems to want to sell their rex. I'm also looking to buy one in the near future before winter hits. Best of luck. vrooom!

7. Roon

Roon Well-Known Member

What is your price range?

8. j4ngl35

Not sure if you mean me or Jinchu but I'm looking for something preferably below $12K, as stock as possible.

9. Roon

Roon Well-Known Member

Either one :), I would sell my 07 WRX TR for 17,500. 42xxx Miles, Stage 2, 260whp 300wtq.

10. j4ngl35

Just saw your GI/FS thread, awesome looking car! I'd love to be able to afford it...but current situation won't allow it. :(

Good luck with the sale though! :)

11. 05cgmsti

05cgmsti Well-Known Member

Line up a handful to test drive in the twin cities for a weekend then come and weigh your options. Its too easy for someone to buy one at an auction then assume no responsibility for it when it breaks on your way home.

12. Who dat ninja

Who dat ninja Well-Known Member

^ That's a good idea. There are a number being sold here on the site (including mine). I'm in the twin cities also.

13. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

What he said.

Who dat ninjas car looked pretty clean when I saw it a while ago.....