[WRX]Nice brake kit

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Dizmal, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

2. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

HmmmmmMmmm..... Tempting.
    But i'll tell you my favorite part:

"Wilwood has stepped up to offer two flavors of their popular and compact, radial mount DynaPro caliper with fully dust booted pistons for the WRX"

3. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm guessing that claim is false in some way. But I have no idea in what way. I'm not very knowledgable to Willwood brakes or any brake kits/parts really in general. Just thought it looked like a nice kit to share.

4. Shane86

why would you say that? their being advertised for rally use, hence it would be a good idea to use a booted caliper.

But that's great news, as it means no need to pull the calipers or rebuild every year after winter driving. that's what turned me off the rotora kit.

5. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

/blush

I thought you were trying to say that they had that part out for a while or that the booted caliper didn't work.

I guess I thought you were being sarcastic about that being your favorite part!

6. Shane86

LOL!
    Nope, I'm quite serious.

7. powerlabs

powerlabs New Member

Cheaper:
    [​IMG]

A quick word of caution; I don't believe Wilwood calipers are DOT approved. If that matters to you that is.
    On the plus side, I do believe they are lighter (Al vs Cast Iron) and fit more rims than the JDM STI 4 pots.[/img]

8. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah buts, the Scooby 4 pots are cheaper. But they aren't 10lbs lighter, don't come with rotors, fully dust booted pistons or pads and definatly not stainless brakelines.

Atleast, not to my knowledge.

9. Shane86

actually, they do have fully dust booted pistons.
    these were stock in the rest of the world, do you really think subaru wanted to be rebuilding these things yearly under warranty?

Frankly, it's a close call between the two. while the Subaru 4 pots are cheaper, you'll have to buy new wheels in order to clear them on a stock WRX.

So lets see:
    Subaru 4-pots $550
    Braided stainless Brake lines $90
    Used RS wheels $400 (current price at a junkyard)

You can use your stock rotors, so i'll leave them out.
    but upgraded rotors are a good idea...

The price is so close without rotors, the added wheel options would probably be the deal breaker for me.

10. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

BUT! Do they come with pads?!

Plus, you really can't deny the extra rotors are nice. Even if you don't need them at the time. You will eventually.

I dunno. I don't really care which one is better. I just figured it would be a good option to share.

11. powerlabs

powerlabs New Member

Erm... I don't think these calipers WEIGHT 10 pounds to begin with, so I don't see how the Wilwoods could be 10pounds lighter.
    That said, I acknowledge that the wilwoods are lighter. Subaru used cast iron on their design for cost and stiffness. I doubt the Wilwoods are as stiff.
    I already had stainless steel lines and cryotreated slotted racing brake rotors and 16x7" RS wheels, so at $350 shipped, these 4 pots with pads and only 15K miles of use were a deal. Good luck getting Wilwoods for that price :D

12. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Its not that they weight 10lbs less. They take off that much in rotational mass.

I was reffering to the whole shibang. Not just the calipers.

13. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I just bought front and rear Rotors drilled and slotted for my WRX so the 2006 Brake calipers would do the job well enough. I just do not want to change my rotors after only 6 months of use...Plus they are the standard size which the stock 4 pot calipers will fit...Whoever is interested in the 2006 wrx calipers I can see if I can get a discount on them from my parts dept if I do a group buy thing. Just the calipers...you get your own pads and brake lines.

14. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I have felt Wilwood 6piston calipers vs standard front WRX brakes. There is a huge difference. If you go four piston vs stock front, it is a huge difference. I'll be doing a caliper rebuild in a month or two on my Wilwoods, If anyone has the weight of the stock front caliper and the stock rear caliper, we can compare 2pot stock vs 4 pot Wilwood.

15. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Also, if you are using Wilwood 2 piece rotors, they are lighter than stock rotors. The center hat is aluminum while the rotor surface is steel. Where as with the stock rotors they are solid, one piece steel.

16. powerlabs

powerlabs New Member

Really? I wasn't aware that my brake calipers rotated :roll:

17. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Then why say such a stupid comment? I never said the 'calipers' weighed 10lbs less than stock. You assumed. Obviously the kit is more than just 'calipers'.:roll:

So obviously I had to spell that out for you. Don't be such a Sally.

18. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

holy hell ladies, drop it! people make mistakes

19. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Well, I'm wondering if I should maybe get this package. I was originally going with the group buy on cryo'd slotted rotors and HPS pads F/R for $425. I was going to get the Goodridge SS brake lines and the best price I can find those for is $125+S/H. Not sure where to get them for $90 as Powerlabs stated. Would be nice.

Add a bottle of motul and that brings the total up to around $600. So, for $300 extra I could have this kit with four pot calipers that fit my stock rims. That will be used for winter use next year. Also a lighter setup.

20. powerlabs

powerlabs New Member

No, you said rotational mass... Rotational mass is tires, rotors and wheels. What you meant to say was Sprung weight...

21. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Sorry. I was reffering to the whole kit weight savings in the first post, mostly the rotational mass. Since the rotors are lighter. Maybe the calipers too. But, I doubt they save much if any weight over stockers.

22. powerlabs

powerlabs New Member

Brake rotors are pretty heavy. Heavier than the calipers if I remember correctly. You could save some weight by going to two piece rotors like the Wilwoods. Plus when those go back you can keep the aluminum center section and just replace the steel outer ring. Also that aluminum center section won't ever rust into your rim.
    You can buy those for the WRX, but they cost quite a bit more. I figured $199 was plenty to pay for just front rotors on my car.

23. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I dunno. I would like to get something like the 4 pots. But this is just a daily driver. I think the group buy slotted rotors and HPS pads will be plenty of stopping power for my needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.