WRX purchase advice

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Conrad, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Conrad

Conrad Member

So I want to buy a WRX. Looking for a 2002-2005. Wagon preferably, and must be a manual. I like the Bug-eyes the best. I have 7-10k to spend. My main worry is that I have heard the 5-speed transmissions are prone to breaking. My last nice car had the shift fork break and it ended up costing $5000 to fix. I was so disheartened that I sold it for fear of the dang thing braking again and I bought a $2000 beater. Well 5 years later that beater is still going strong and have had zero major issues. So how worried should I be about the transmission doing the same thing? Its just going to be a daily driver, I wont be launching it or modding it much, but want to be able to drive it semi-hard and not have to worry. What other important stuff should I look for? I know timing belt/water pump, and I've heard the head-gaskets are an issue. Thanks~

2. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

What's you're first name mr. So called Conrad?

T_riggidy likes this.
  3. Conrad

Conrad Member

Its Conrad ;)

4. Ryan FailRad

Your last name should be Ryan lol. I like your name, it's very rad. And IMO as long as you don't do big power or beat the piss out of it you should be fine on your transmission for a while.

NAITOMEA_ST and T_riggidy like this.
  5. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Depending on the miles, prepare for routine mantainence costs and other repairs. Try and find a stock car as well. Go for an 04+ wagon.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  6. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

A few points:
    02 Transmissions are the weakest. 03 updated to stronger gears (marginally). The point of failure is from shear torque applied to the gears. That means Hondalaunching like an idiot. While AWD launches are fun, they are what blows the gears. Use your clutch like an adult, and you won't have to worry about it.
    Timing belt/water pump every 100,000 like any other car.
    TD04 turbos are hit-and-miss but tend to get sketchy around 100K depending on the maintainance.
    Head gaskets are not a problem on turbo model subarus.
    Rod bearings can be, though.
    Generally speaking, avoid modified WRX's and Subarus run on Mobil 1 engine oil. Specifically, avoid anything with a manual boost controller. Don't even question it, if it has a manaual controller just walk away. The car won't ever be cheap enough to warrant letting it slide.

tehfuzz, SCIFIDELITY and Cotts612 like this.
  7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Just remember that a stock bugeye transmission is better than ppg gears.

tehfuzz likes this.
  8. Ryan FailRad

Don't confuse him, that was already a while ago

9. Conrad

Conrad Member

Thanks for the tips guys! My other thought is I might look for a bit older Forester and try to do some fresh maintenance and some mods like Wheels/Suspension/ Roof Rack basket/ Exhaust.

10. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

What kind of wheels/suspension?

11. Conrad

Conrad Member

I dunno. Something along these lines.

[​IMG]

12. mnnice

mnnice Well-Known Member

Conrad likes this.
  13. Conrad

Conrad Member

Sweet, thanks! I might check that out. I assume the whiskey plates stay with the owner

14. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

No, if you buy it you get whiskey plates for LIFE! lol! Also I have seen this car. Has a handful of small dents and small scratches. Interior is in great shape and the block was just replaced with a brand new short block from Miller Hill Subaru.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  15. yuseforester

yuseforester Well-Known Member

My advice, don't buy a modified car unless the receipts are all from a reputable shop or mechanic!

16. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Are you afraid to fly? I'd look out west or down south for a car of that vintage. Less rust and seized bolts to deal with when you start modding. You know you will.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  17. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Ask him out on a date already, jeez...

I agree. Buy in a rust free state because of rust but also because the resale value is lower. I saved about 4k buying out of state after the plane ticket and gas home.

If you can, buy unmodified from an older, more responsible adult. This will give you a better car and lower the likelihood of issues to pop up.