Yo Chux

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Tcat55371, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

or anyone else thats worked on old school XTs. Starting to get a wheel bearing howl on drivers side. Have not done rear bearings on a XT before. I'm guess it's not a big deal and that the bearing is pressed in. I ordered bearings and seals to do both sides. Just wondering if anyone has done this before. I have disc bracks on the rear and the XT is 4wd. Looks like it should not be that bad. Anything tricky to watch for?

john

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

good luck!!

I've had mine apart, the outer race is 'pressed' in.....but here in MN, it's more like organically welded. I could not get mine out. I replaced the rollers and inner races, but that only helped a bit. general consensus on USMB is that getting a junkyard trailing arm is easier.

maybe you know this, but to access them, remove the axle, and then unscrew the cap on the back of the trailing arm. there's a special tool for it, but a punch/screwdriver and a hammer works fine.

3. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

Ok

thanks for getting back to me. Guess I will see what happens when the bearings get here.
    I have access to a press and everything comes apart nice since the car is from Washington. I still have the parts car in the barn so if I wreck it I guess I can pull it off that. I wouldnt think they would weld it. If so I guess it adds to the nails in the Subaru coffin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.