Yucatan Winter Safari Road Rally (TSD) - 12/8/2012

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by SurlyOldManMN, Oct 24, 2012.

1. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

The wha?
    The Yucatan Winter Safari is an SCCA sanctioned TSD road rally run through the hardwood forests of SE Minnesota, beginning and ending at the Plaza Hotel in Winona, MN. Please see the Offical Road Rally Thread for information on TSD rallying:

http://mnsubaru.com/threads/the-official-road-rally-tsd-monte-carlo-gta-gimmick-thread.40920/

These are fun as hell and I strongly encourage you to come check out either this or another local winter TSD rally.

Here is a video of leg 10 from last year's Yucatan to give you an idea of the types of roads and pace you can expect:

And the "lolsurprise!" short leg 7, filmed with a potato:

Here's the full course from last year:
    Day Sections
    Night Sections

Entry Fees/Schedules:
    Entry Fee: $45 for SCCA members $50 for non members
    Start: Plaza Inn, Winona, MN
    First Car Out: 12:01
    Finish: 8-9PM

Useful Links/Contact Info:
    Rally Master:
    Clarence Westberg
    [email protected]
    (952) 381-2759

Facebook Page
    Event Website
    General Instructions
    Temporary Event Flier

Please post up here if you're interested in running and would like to coordinate a driver/codriver. I got a pretty good response when I was looking for a codriver for a previous rally so I know there is interest. I would also highly suggest someone try to rope Dean into co-driving as he's already familiar with most of the core concepts and doesn't even know it yet. ;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I am interested in this, but I am having a hard time understanding the concept. If you could maybe shoot me a PM or maybe other people might like a lesson. Is the point to arrive at the checkpoint at a specific time? Any faster you lose points, and slower you lose points? Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge or understanding. It seems fun, I'm just missing the overall point.

3. SurlyOldManMN

Check out the links in the third post here:
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/the-official-road-rally-tsd-monte-carlo-gta-gimmick-thread.40920/

If any of the information presented is unclear please let me know and I'll revise them. The primary purpose of that thread is to serve as an introductory description and provide some resources. If it sucks, I want to fix it.

But yeah, you have the general idea. You are given route instructions and an average speed. You have to follow the route while maintaining the stated speed. Checkpoints are setup at undisclosed locations along the route. You must hit those checkpoints at exactly the right time as calculated by the mileage and average speed stated. Scoring is like golf, lowest score wins.

I am more than happy to answer any technical/general questions, though I'd like to record those in the road rally thread so it can serve as a one-stop resource for new folks. Also, the rally master (Clarence Westberg) usually offers free driver's "classes" before registration if there is enough interest.

4. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Sounds good, Thanks!

5. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested, ill have to find a co driver.

6. SurlyOldManMN

Seriously, tap Dean and sweet talk him into it. I had him running off the same type of instructions you can expect in the route book for this event and he was all over it. He even figured out the mileage factor without knowing what a mileage factor was.

Otherwise, there are a couple very experienced folks looking for a seat on the TCRC group. I'm sure you can fill the seat if you post there:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/110850758955090/
    http://www.facebook.com/TwinCityRallyClub

7. SurlyOldManMN

Found a couple more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SurlyOldManMN

**AVAILABLE HIGHLY EXPERIENCED CO-DRIVER BUMP**

I heard Tim Winker is looking for a seat as a co-driver. He is very experienced, having served as rally master for several events. You're not going to find a much more technically proficient and seasoned co-driver. If you're a little uneasy about the route navigation/timing/organization involved, he will way more than cover you.

Send him a message on Facebook if you're interested:
    http://www.facebook.com/tim.winker

Just to give you an idea of the what you're working with:
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=120559371304215&1&index=0

9. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

Watch out for that Tim, though! :) If you get a flat, you'll be all on your own... Just ask my wife! Seriously, though, Tim is good guy! I've known him for about as long as anyone I've known in MN.

With no further confirmation that the December Nemadji Trail Performance Rally will happen, our plans may shift to doing Yucatan. Let's see... I haven't done a TSD rally since "Thumbs Up" in 1998....

10. jblewis

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Nemadji event isn't going to happen, after all, so Brenda and I will be entering YWS. Hopefully we'll have some interesting weather by then!

11. SurlyOldManMN

Coming up this weekend bump!

There are still spots open and I believe there are a couple people looking to fill either seat. If you want to try it but don't have a partner, don't let that stop you!

12. jblewis

Tim has found a ride with an equally experienced driver!

13. SurlyOldManMN

Just in on the facebook page:

14. SurlyOldManMN

15. SurlyOldManMN

come-play-in-the-dirt-tomorrow bump!