02 wrx 07 wrx transmission swap driving

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by huntinbuck, Jul 30, 2015.

1. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

my issue that I can't figure out is when I take sharper right hand corners like on ramps, clover leafs, normal road corners I.e. Like 90° intersections I get a mild to pretty Damn aggressive vibration. Like I said only when I'm turning to the right. I read up about the viscous coupler problem but every thread says that it only happens at full steering lock. my problem happens if the steering wheel is turned 45° if I'm taking a right fast enough

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Did you swap the rear diff as well? Because 07 wrx has a 3.7 final drive ratio and if you didnt swap rear diff as well then your center diff is probably toast.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    EricS likes this.
  3. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

I was told that everything was swapped

4. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

The vehicle was purchased with the swap done

5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh I missed the part about only on right turns. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Is there any grinding or whining noise when it happens?
    Does it happen at slow and high speeds? Does it get worse the tighter the turn? need more info.
    It still could be a differential issue, maybe front diff? Maybe axles? It is hard to say without more.

6. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

It's silent nothing other then the vibration. The vibration I'd gradual at low speeds/minimal steering angle. The harder/faster I go around the corner it gets more aggressive and more violent. I can drive normal taking a right leaving a stop light and nothing but if I take off quicker like I'm in a hurry the vibration comes along with it sharper, faster the worse it gets

7. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh ok, doesn't really sound like differentials. Could be suspension related.

8. EricS

EricS Nooberator

CV joint?

9. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

Everything seemed tight
    Could the knuckles in the cv cups be binding up or the shaft hitting the cup? The cv is suppose to be able to slide inside the cv correct? I am pretty low on full coilovers.

10. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

While I don't know much about the o2's I swapped my o7 with an o4 sti transmission and went from no pin axles to pinned axles. I would look under there and see if you can move it with your hands (more than an inch I would think would be an issue) and check to see if your pin possibly fell out.

11. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

Have you checked to see if your rubbing on your inner fender wells?

EricS likes this.
  12. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Are you totally, totally sure the rear diff was swapped as well?

Nhibbs likes this.
  13. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Well-Known Member

Roll pin installed on the inner side? Could be the axle slipping out then binding at the CV. Long shot but a cheap and easy fix to check and replace.

14. huntinbuck

huntinbuck Member

07 cv shafts have male input shafts to the transmission no roll pins through them like the older style.

phi11 likes this.