'02 WRX clutch shudder(first post)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PaulasaurusREX, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

Hey all,

First post here, glad to have finally found a site for MN peeps. Been looking for some time, not sure why I haven't stumbled across it sooner. Currently living in Golden Valley, i've had my black '02 WRX for a year now been a blast and worth every huge monthly payment thats for sure.

Onto my question. Just wondering if anyone has had warrenty work done to fix the clutch shudder issue on '02 WRX's. I currently have just under $30,000 but being that the car is over 3 yrs old does this void my chances of getting this problem taken care of? Usually in the morning is when this happens(cold/damp). many others have talked about this, just wondering if any one has delt with this issue here locally.

Any comments and info you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all

2. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

3. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

I tried.. Mine wasn't doing it horribly, but noticible. They just told me they couldn't replicate the problem. Then I just stopped driving it in winter to solve the problem.

4. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

mines was fixed under warranty.

5. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I've always just dealt with it, doesn't happen too often for me. I just rev it a little higher and slip the clutch a little longer to work around it. If your warranty has expired I don't see how they will do anything for free unless they are feeling really nice that day. I know some people have gotten updated clutch assembly parts installed.

6. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Hey, welcome to the boards. Where in Golden Valley are you? Just wondering if I've seen you around. Your car is out of the 3/36 warranty. Did you get any kind of extended warranty coverage? SAS Gold, maybe? I can get you a discount on the parts (MN Subaru members get 20% off parts at Brooklyn Park Subaru), but I don't think we can do it under warranty.

7. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club

8. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Thats not a warranty issue on powertrain because it's a wear item. What was the actual date you bought the car, and did you buy it brand new? With a SAS contract (Gold) sometimes its covered, But would still need to be duplicated.

9. hercules

hercules New Member

welcome

10. PaulasaurusREX

Thanks for the help all

Thanks all for the help, I bought my '02 just over a year ago, so that makes me the second owner. I bought it from Brooklyn Park Subaru(did not have the greatest experience there).

It doesn't happen all that much, When I first started to notice it I thought it was just bad shifting on my part. So I deal with it just as Zola stated pretty much and even when cold its not that bad. Just figured if I were entitled to some free parts I might as well get them. I'll be going in soon for the ABS update.

I'm currently living on Golden Valley rd, right near 100. Black bugeye with tinted windows. No noticable mods really.

Thanks for the info all, looks like i'll just have to stick with the ABS update for now.

11. ShortytheFirefighter

Wow, you're not far from me at all. I'm just down the road from Schullers. You weren't at City Hall yesterday by chance, were you? Do you mind if I ask what happened? I'll see if there's a way I can try to make it right. Just let me know on the ABS update, I've got mine coming on Monday. We do our orders on Monday for Thursday and Thursday for Monday. Last I checked, there's about 2500 in country, but I imagine they'll go quick.

12. PaulasaurusREX

Where exactly is Schullers? Nope I wasn't at City Hall yesturday.

What happened? Well I managed to snag a WRX that was not yet put onto the lot(lucky for me) as it needed a windshield replaced. So I struck up a deal, negotiations were a bit rough as well sometimes they can be. The main issue came when I was offered a service packet for oil changes, tire rotations and something else for a year or two. Well time came to get my first oil change and I had gotten no "coupons" in the mail. Long story short, I bought an '02 and the package they sold me was for new cars, so they would not make any sort of deal for me through the dealership that was similar so I got a refund along with some comments that were rather rude and swore never to return. Oh, also didn't get my plates for about 8 or so months. So little did I know i've been driving illegally the whole time. Dealership claimed they called all of one time yet I never got any such call from them. Also bought a car after my father did so he got $50 for referencing me to them. Well it took far too long and far too many reminder phone calls for that to go through. Just not what I expected from a dealer, especially when I spent the amount of money I did. Also usually have a roof rack on my car, the last time I was there they decided that they could no longer wash my car because the rack may ruin their car wash, fine but they just washed my car with rack a few weeks before this visit. And c'mon now, I'd have to say there are many people with racks ontop of their subies.

I'll give a call in for my ABS deal a thingy but I think I may be calling up a different dealership.

Thanks for all the help Brian, what department do you work in at BP subaru?

13. ShortytheFirefighter

Schullers is on Country Club Drive, one block down from Golden Valley Road. Take Rhode Island Ave north off 55 and it's the first right turn. It makes for nice quick response times because I'm about 3 blocks from my fire station. The reason I asked is I saw a black WRX sedan in the city hall parking lot yesterday while I was picking up tabs. Anyway, I'm in the parts department, sounds like we're the only ones who haven't dropped the ball on you. Sorry about the other foul ups. Who was washing your car for you? As far as the ABS deal, if you want I can have you talk to the service manager about your concerns, I'm not sure if you've had any issues with our service department or not. The nice thing about that ABS ECU is that it's free, and it's not something that has to be verified or replicated. You just have to request it and as long as your car falls within the VIN range you're covered. I can get you a copy of the TSB if you want. Good luck with everything and don't be afraid to call if you need anything in the future. Thanks!

14. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Here are a few things that I replaced under warranty. And since I dug this info up, I had to do the turbo too. Next the F'd up steering rack. Going to an STI rack next with urethane bushings.

Maybe this will help....

Service bulletin: 09-36-03
    Date: 04/01/03
    Subject: Fuel Smell in Cold Weather
    Part Numbers:
    17544AA134 Pipe complete (30 mm shorter that Old one)
    807707140 Hose (30 mm longer than the Old one)
    Starting engine number:

Service bulletin: 03-51-02R
    Date: 05/01/03
    Subject: Cold Clutch Judder (revised bulletin)
    Part Numbers:
    2.5 L
    12342AA061 Flywheel
    30210AA590 Cover
    30100AA851 Disc
    800610740 Bolts (8pc)
    2.0 L
    12342AA071 Flywheel
    30210AA570 Cover
    30100AA840 Disc
    800610740 Bolts (8pc)
    Starting VIN
    Sedan 3G500127
    Wagon 3G800014
    Fail Code:
    JAB-48

Service bulletin: 15-11-04
    Date: 01/30/04
    Subject: Speaker Performance
    Part Numbers:
    86301FE040 Front Speaker Assembly (need to replace both)
    Fail Code:
    ZGN-38 confirmed symptoms
    ZGN-42 unconfirmed symptoms

Service bulletin: 01-151-00
    Date: 07/15/00
    Subject: Required Fluid Use for Warranty repairs
    Part Numbers:
    SOA635002(QT) Factory Fill Coolant

Derek
    02 WRX
    92 GSX

Thread Status: