02 WRX heater fan issue

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Krazylegz1485, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The wife's been driving the sedan we got as of late and noticed that the heater fan/blower motor doesn't work on position 2 of the switch. However, it still works on 1, 3, and 4.

I figured easy fix, I'll just swap the control knob from the parts car we have (03 WRX) and it'll be a quick fix. Not so much. Still has the same issue, therefore it's obviously not the switch (unless they're both bad in the same way... Haha).

She said it doesn't bother her and she can live without it, but we wanna sell the car soon and I'm not stoked on it not working 100%.

Anywho, suggestions on where to look from here? Thanks!

GrawvyRobber likes this.
  2. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

HEY! I have the same issue right now haha.
    Must be a common problem on the 02?

And now I'm curious about the bug you plan on selling

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Blower resistor. There's a block of resistors, usually right next to the blower motor (as the moving air in the HVAC cools the resistors) that drops the voltage to the blower for the settings below "4". These are a common wear part, and are usually (I haven't done it on a GD) very accessible and usually available aftermarket for a decent price.

The FSM will undoubtedly list a testing procedure with resistance values across the various pins, but IMO with those symptoms, a visual inspection of the electrical connector going into it narrows it down to the resistor accurately.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I have had a blower resistor issue on other cars a few times. It's the first thing I would replace when one or more fan speeds don't work. High speed usually remains functional as that bypasses the resistor completely.

5. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Interesting. Mine has been like this since I purchased it. I just thought the switch was bad.

GrawvyRobber likes this.
  6. Krazylegz1485

I'm gonna get to this tonight. Will report back with my findings.

GrawvyRobber and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

I ordered a new resister. Will be here next week!

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Aren't you done yet?

9. Krazylegz1485

My Friday night got filled up pretty quick and after a long day at work didn't feel like working outside in the dark.

Got to it today. Tried the resistor from the parts car before buying a new one. Worked like a charm. Worst part of the whole thing was the screw on the back side. Even with a stubby it was a pain to get out. Could've used my right angle adaptor but it wasn't worth making an extra trip for.

Anywho, long story short, resistor it is. Hooray for easy fixes.

Thanks @Chux and @pillboy . Appreciate the help/suggestions.

@GrawvyRobber it's gonna be awesome!

silver03, Chux, JaloP and 2 others like this.