03 WRX - relay clicking issue

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Bryan621, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

I picked up an 03 WRX a couple months ago to play around with and try to turn into a summer only car since the body is rust free and it had some STi goodies already (top mount, gauges, suspension). Anyway, this past week I went to run it around the block and the car had never done this before; but after I started it I was hearing a relay clicking sound in the dash by the gauges and the parking/blinker lights were flashing to the click. Then it would quit for about 5 seconds and do it again for about 4 or 5 seconds. I thought maybe I fat handed the hazard or parking switch above the steering wheel but that wasn't it. Then I did some research and someone said they had issues with their window switch (which I rolled the windows down) and thought maybe that was it, so I pushed all the window switches up and down a few times and that didn't do anything either. The clicking and flashing lights happen with or without the key in. It almost kind of seems like the alarm system, but I don't even know where to start with that. The car horn doesn't currently work so that is why I am thinking of the security system is going off but the horn isnt honking because the horns aren't working at the moment. Curious if anyone has any ideas.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Maybe start with replacing the fuse for the horn? Cheap thing to try

3. Bryan621

I'll give it a look. I think the reason of the horns not work in is the wiring is broken somewhere. Maybe a ground to them or something, but thanks I'll check it out.

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say somebody probably pulled the fuse so they didn't have to listen to the horn anymore. Haha. A relay click is a lot easier to handle than the horn honking.

5. Bryan621

Well when I drove it home when I bought it, it wasn't clicking or through the winter. It was just this last week when I wanted to move it.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Well fuses are cheap to check and easy too. It’s 17 years old. There will be things like this that happen. It may be a relay, fuse, ground...etc. hard to say. But I’d start by checking the horn fuse

7. Bryan621

So it was a dumb little fix. The key fob's battery slid out of place. Once I put it back in and locked/unlocked with it the flashing and clicking quit.