07/98 RSTi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by joebush44, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Man, she’s a real beaut Clark!

2. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to update before the event, but I was able to get the injectors in and send some datalogs off to Jr before Sunday. I still feel like the new plugs and clean injectors didn't eliminate the faint stutter/miss at idle. I think it may be coil pack related, but not sure. It doesn't act up any time other than idle, so I'm not all to concerned at this point.

Saturday morning, loaded up and ready for a long drive:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We found some friends at the hotel (several more not pictured):
    [​IMG]

My best pass of the day was my 3rd and final qualifying pass. 11.07 @ 129mph. My goal for the weekend was to hit a 10.9x and 130+ trap so I just barely missed the mark. I qualified 4th in the Stock Location Turbo class and drew a bye in the first round of elims. The second round of elims, I missed 2nd badly and just couldn't reel the guy back in. He ran a 12.18 @ 121 and made the cut into the money. I was bummed, but still had a blast.

Here's a (not super great quality) video of my best pass of the day:

[​IMG]

After elim rounds were done they opened the track up for test and tune/fun runs. I was determined to try one last time to dip into that 10 second territory. I felt something let loose in the burnout, backed up, pulled forward...seemed ok. As soon as I launched the car it felt like the clutch was slipping, dumped second, still the same feeling so let out and coasted on the side of the track to the first turn off. As soon as I slowed down enough I could here an awful clunking sound....
    [​IMG]

Hard to see and I'll take better pictures as I tear it apart, but I broke the front right axle. I thought I might end up breaking an axle this weekend, but certainly didn't think it would be a front one. However, before that pass I was playing with the DCCD and turned up the front wheel bias a bit. All day long my burn out, launch, and 1-2 shifts were wheel hopping pretty badly so I was trying things to remedy it. It was even more violent in that very last burn out that broke that axle. I really need to work on being smoother with the launch as well. Radials sure would help too. The 1.74 60' was my best of the day on the street tires.

After I get some more seat time and used to this power level, I feel 10's should be easily achievable. Even though The White Bullet didn't get a clean pass all weekend, that was still a highlight of the trip seeing that car in person and watching it run. It was a hell of weekend!

3. joebush44

At the event I put all of my raffle tickets in the Off The Line Performance jar. I ended up winning! Got these bad boys...OTL Street Series Ignition coils. I'm hoping these will resolve my intermittent idle stumble/hiccup issues. Idle seemed normal after installation, but the real test will be once I get a chance to drive around and get some heat in the engine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a couple more event photos that were posted on the book of faces:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Active Member

@joebush44 nice score on the coil packs, I can't think of a Subaru enthusiast more deserving of the prize.

5. joebush44

I'm not so sure about that, but thank you! It was a nice surprise :D

6. joebush44

Because who doesn't like carnage pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently debating my options for new front axles. Used OEM, part store cheap-o, Insane Shafts, or pony up for DSS. I wasn't expecting to have to replace the stock front axles, but here I am lol. Really leaning toward either the IS or DSS axles. I honestly had never heard of IS before finding them on eBay and doing some research. I found only one thread on NASIOC about them with decent reviews, so there's not a whole lot of info in regards to their performance on Subarus. They seem to be held in a pretty high regard in the Honda community though, for what that's worth.

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

If they work for Hondas!? The DSS would be an investment, depends on how committed you are. And it appears to be that commitment is not something that you’re lacking with this one! :D

8. joebush44

I come from the school of "buy nice, or buy twice" with the majority of my purchases. I just can't bring myself to throw a parts store reman in there, but maybe a used OEM for the time being? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Just weld it and break it somewhere else.

tangledupinblu, Chux and joebush44 like this.
  10. joebush44

Clearly you haven't seen my welds.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  11. Eazy_E_Rich

:thumbup: Have not heard it said this way; I always hear "buy once, cry once"

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, broke front right axle on launch. Panicked thinking it was the front diff, but was pretty happy when I found out it was just an axle. Didn't want to bend over for the DSS axles, I ended up just putting in a set of OEM remans. I've never heard of the IS axles, looks to be a good middle of the road option though if they are quality.

joebush44 likes this.
  13. joebush44

Not sure if this video will embed properly on the forum (let me know if it doesn't)...but if it does here is a Facebook video of the semi-finals and finals. At about 8:00 I came up for a test and tune pass (between semis and finals) and this is where the axle broke on the burnout. lol. I'm just glad it was a broken axle and I didn't oil down the track right before finals!

FB Live video credit: Mike McGinnis, Cobb Tuning - LOL at "nicely pedaled"

This weekend I pulled the CV's off the broken axle bar. I helped a buddy a while back change out a front axle in his '06 STi with bad CV so he let me take that bad axle. I pulled it apart and swapped the good axle bar onto my good CV's. I refilled the boots with grease and installed new clamps...good as new-ish!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  14. joebush44

I got the replacement axle in and hung the broken one on the wall o' broken parts. I've driven the car enough now to confirm that the OTL coil packs have cured my idle stumble issue I was having as well. If the weather is decent this weekend I'm going to hit Cedar Falls and see if I can scrape a 10 sec pass without breaking something :D

15. joebush44

I spoke too soon here...but now I have it definitely fixed (I think)! The other night the car started breaking up really bad under high load conditions. After talking to Justin at OTL, he advised me to move my engine ground off the intake manifold to bolt it directly the block or cylinder head. These OTL packs draw a lot more current so a good ground is critical. My car has 8mm phenolic spacers under the intake manifold so that would act as a pretty good insulator - never thought about it before, but it makes sense that they would cause a weaker ground. Even if you don't have phenolic spacers and still have the stock coil packs, I would still recommend to move your grounding point(s) so that they bolt directly to the block or head if at all possible!

I moved it to one of the open AC compressor bracket holes (AC deleted). Since my car has an '07 STi swap there is only one ground on the manifold - if it were 04-06, there are likely two (cannot confirm on 08+). After moving the ground the car has never idled or revved so smoothly since it's been together!
    [​IMG]
    (Oil dipstick in photo for reference)
    [​IMG]

I spoke too soon about this too. Test and Tune day isn't until 10/27 :(...I'm hopeful the warm weather sticks around long enough so it isn't cancelled.

In other news, I *think* I have my wheel hop issue somewhat sorted. I was playing with DCCD and found that if I switch it from AUTO to manual - full rear bias, it hooks pretty damn good without violently shaking the tires on the launch and going 1-2 FFS. Looking forward to testing that theory at the track.

Random photo taken by Subaru Sense of the car at Nats a couple weekends ago. Window tint is on the docket for spring for sure. I also have a brand new legit SA2015 Racequip helmet now so I can retire the snowmobile helmet as well lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    tangledupinblu and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  16. Eazy_E_Rich

Thats a great point Joe, I should make sure none of my grounds are going to the intake as I also have phenolic spacers. Also I've fought a lot with grounding strategy on my car, which I think is finally sorted, glad to hear your car is running well again.