07/98 RSTi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by joebush44, Oct 17, 2016.

1. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Photo dump from last track day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joebush44

Happy 2020 MNSubaru!

I finally pulled the RS out from its hibernation corner to start prepping it for the upcoming season. I need to pull the trans and get it down to Off The Line Performance for a complete rebuild. I'm really curious what let go, but my guess is a shift fork broke. I picked up some 12 ton jack stands so I could get the car up quite a bit higher. The lowest setting on these big stands is still higher than my 3 ton jack stands fully extended, so that's kinda neat. Also, doggo. :)
    [​IMG]

In other news, nothing like ruining a perfectly good, brand new, IAG AOS...I'm converting it over to AN fittings since my valve cover vent lines are already AN and I don't want to go back to rubber hoses. I know IAG makes a "race" version of their AOS with AN fittings, but it's $100 more expensive for that option and at the time I was planning on converting back to just regular hoses. I had the weld on fittings laying around from other stuff so I figured why not just convert it...I'm definitely a bit rusty with the aluminum tig welding though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Besides the trans rebuild and the new (new) AOS setup, I don't have any other immediate plans for the car this year. If the stars align, this could be the first year I get to enjoy the car for a full summer without a catastrophic breakdown (probably just jinx'd myself hard, but one can hope).

3. joebush44

Trans is out and ready for a ride to OTL...
    [​IMG]

I found this little nugget in the pan when I dropped it to see if I could see any carnage. I believe it's the ear off of the gear selector, which makes sense considering I have nothing when trying to shift to 3rd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic from the interwebs of what I believe broke
    [​IMG]

As long as nothing else got chewed up as this piece made it's way down to the pan, I don't think the repair will be too costly

Eazy_E_Rich likes this.
  4. joebush44

I made some more progress on my AN conversion on the AOS. I welded a 8AN bung to the oil drain pipe
    [​IMG]

Then also welded two 8AN fittings (valve cover vents) and a 12AN fitting (main crankcase vent) to the AOS
    [​IMG]

Mounted. Hood shuts after some slight additional massaging
    [​IMG]

I'm going to route the AOS oil drain back into one of the valve cover vents as opposed to using the Y fitting that would normally be in the main crankcase vent hose. Mainly, because going from the AOS drain to that Y fitting would be slightly uphill due to the way I have the hoses routed currently. Secondly, I want to run a 12AN hose straight off the main crank vent to the AOS without any step downs. I'm planning on just throwing a 8AN T fitting right off of the valve cover and plumbing the drain line into that.
    [​IMG]

tangledupinblu and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  5. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

@joebush44 looks to me like you are correct. If you don't have any other signs of damage (or if your not getting any additional work done) why not replace this yourself? Having taken apart a 5MT (almost this far) its relatively straightforward compared to some other things I've seen you do. My .02, either way keep on keepin' on!

joebush44 likes this.
  6. joebush44

Honestly, I find it intimidating. I've never opened up a manual transmission. I just imagine for some reason, me pulling the case off and a bunch of springs, gears, retaining clips and **** come shooting out of it lol. I doubt that's logical, but I'd likely need some specialty tools to pull bearings off the shaft (possibly really long pullers to reach further down the shaft). Maybe that wouldn't even be necessary considering what broke? I'd also like everything else inspected and wear items like synchros replaced as necessary. Too many intricate parts going on and I don't want to mess it up I guess :/

tangledupinblu and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  7. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. It may take more than I think to fix your issue. Always a good idea to get it inspected.

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Like the old “can of worms/snakes”? Lol, I’ve always pictured it the same way, sounds logical to me! Hahaha!

looking good Joe!

joebush44 likes this.
  9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

On a 5-speed, getting to those shifter pieces requires very little disassembly, and zero shafts/bearings, IIRC. And the 6-speed design is much easier to take apart.

I understand the trepidation, though. I'm glad the first 5MT I took apart was scrap. It turned out not to be too bad, but I was nervous going in.

joebush44 and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  10. joebush44

Finally finished the AOS hose routing and also powder coated it. I did end up routing the AOS oil drain to the passenger side baffled (nearest to AVCS solenoid) valve cover port, so we'll see how that goes. The main 1" vent hose at the top of the AOS will be routed to a catch can that I will be mounting to my transmission (in theory), so I suppose if I see that catch can filling up, I'll know my AOS drain configuration isn't happy.

Pre-coating mockup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished product. Also finally coated my intake pipe that's been raw since I built it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Preview of the catch can setup bolted to the trans (before I took it to OTL last week). I'm just not sure how close to the axle it's going to be...will have to wait until it's back in the car to see if I need to move the mount. Again, the 1" hose from the top of the IAG Comp AOS will vent/drain to this -16 catch can fitting. And, doggo stretch

[​IMG]

11. SaggyWagon

SaggyWagon Member

POWDER. COAT. EVERYTHING.

tangledupinblu likes this.