09 Legacy e-brake failure?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by snbrd4evr, Feb 23, 2010.

1. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

So I get a call from the Burnsville PD a couple minutes ago and they let me know my car has rolled backwards into another car in my parking lot. I run out there and sure enough, it's up against a old pos geo metro. I look in the car and the e-brake is halfway down. I have always been pretty good at pulling that all the way up until I can't pull anymore. But I have been noticing lately that the button sometimes sticks in and after I let go it pops down a bit. I'm thinking that's what could have happened. But the weird part is that the guy said he just saw it roll back a couple minutes before he called the police. I've been home for nearly 45 minutes and it just happened. All I know from now on is leave it in gear regardless of anything...

CN:
    I'm stupid and should have left it in gear :emo:

And I don't see any scratches or anything, I think it was just plastic to plastic bumpage.

2. ^_Buk

^_Buk Member

Your lucky if its just plastic to plastic. A few years back when i was at work a guy had e-brake failure, he also did not leave it in gear. He rolled back off the parking lot, down a small hill and into a nasty thorny bush. scratched his car up nicely... It was a blast helping push it back uphill....

I personally always leave my cars in gear just in case. GL with getting it fixed!

3. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

kudos for you ACTUALLY using your e-brake... must be the OTHER minnesotan who does.. ha ha..

and 2.. YES why wouldnt you leave it in gear.. ha ah ah

least it wasnt like a runaway down a bank across a highway or something

4. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

Had a guy last year put his civic into a pond 20' below our parking lot.

Got out thinking he had it in gear, slammed the door and the car started rolling backwards. He got about 10' away from it before he realized the was rolling away. He ran back to it to find he locked the door, then tried in vain to stop it before it hopped the curb and went down the hill. We could not but help laugh while watching him out the window of the shop.

I always use my E-brake.