'10/'11 Snowboarding Season

Discussion in 'Mini Meets' started by Ninja 4 Life, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

After getting the ok from a mod, I figured I would post this now to see if I can build up any interest. I have noticed that there are some snowboarders among us and wanted to see if anyone would want to do a get together this winter. If you have any ideas on where or when please feel free to comment. I am willing to put everything together and run this mini myself or if others would want to help, I will not turn it away.

I have some good ideas planned out in my head for maybe a few trips this winter (local to MN of course). I would like to even make it a yearly thing if we get enough interest built up. I am going to call a few of the resorts outside of the cities to see if we can get a group discount.

Figured if we got the OK, I could bring a grill, sodas, water or beers and just hang out and enjoy the lovely Minnesota winter. So please feel free to kick it around and let's try to get this off the ground.

-Justin

2. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Come up to Spirit or Lutsen

Lutsen is about as close to a "real" mt experience as you can get in MN

3. Ninja 4 Life

Those are on my list, if we get enough interest. I have only been Lutsen once and had a blast. Most of our stuff around the cities is just hills, but it is better than nothing. Maybe someday if we could get enough people, a trip Montana or Colorado could be in order.

4. jolson05

jolson05 Member

"Better than nothing." You said it brother!

Count me in. I'm game for riding wherever: Buck, Hyland, Theo, Afton, Andes, Welch, Wild, Troll, Powder, Spirit, Fond Du, Kato, Lutsen, Lax, Giants, my back yard, your back yard, a golf course... I don't care, wherever. Any of these places is better than my couch.

Thanks for raising the flag Ninja 4 Life. You might want to talk to ofspunk7 about setting something up with MNSubaru and Afton as he works there and is MNSubaru's own pep-squad coordinator. He organizes events and s#!t like it's no body's bidness...

Here's to a heavy snowfall and a safe upcoming season.

PS. You might want to close this thread and start a new one while this one is low on posts. Make a new one with the words "'10/'11 Snowboarding Season" in the title since a post like this comes up ever year about this time here on MNSubaru. The accurate title helps keep it straight from season to season.

5. Ninja 4 Life

"Count me in. I'm game for riding wherever: Buck, Hyland, Theo, Afton, Andes, Welch, Wild, Troll, Powder, Spirit, Fond Du, Kato, Lutsen, Lax, Giants, my back yard, your back yard, a golf course... I don't care, wherever. Any of these places is better than my couch."

I love the golf course idea :laugh: and agreed anything is better than the couch. Plus after seeing some flakes this morning it's got me pumped :biggrin:! My board will be coming out this weekend to get it ready for the season.

I had the title changed to reflect this season, to avoid any confusion. Also I did PM Derek to get some more info from him.

6. Ninja 4 Life

Here is some more info on a few of the Afton meets we can plan for.

-Usually people just camp out by the big snowboard park at the bottom and Grill. So if we show up around like 9 or 10 we should get great parking and a spot to cook.

-For people that want to learn how to snowboard Afton gives free 1 hour lessons with every rental.

-More snowboard parks and snowboard park skill levels than anywhere else, plus Afton should also have a full Snowboard-X park this year

-Afton is having 3 Rock-n-rides this year (dates are still unknown, but I will update once I know them). Derek (ofspunk7) should be judging all three again this year. It is a great day to be out because they have music and free swag.

Then in between the dates for Afton, I would like to sneak in a trip to Spirit/Lutsen. This might end up being a 2 day trip. I can call some hotels in the area once we have a final head count and try to get some multiple room rates.

Also if you are skier you are more than welcome to join, the more the merrier!

7. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Woot - Snowboard Meet!

Ah Mt. Bohemia (about the same drive as Lutsen) in MI. It is right on the north tip, so lots of lake effect snow. Last time I was there we had knee deep powder in the trees. There was 6 cars in the parking lot. It is a good time. Lutsen is usually ICE, unless you go in March

8. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

I work at a shop up in anoka Pinewski's Ski Shop and would be more than happy to help people who might be in need of some new gear. I can get you guys good deals on all the stuff we have in the store. I carry the better of the brands out there none of the garbage! Let me know what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do!

9. Ninja 4 Life

Close to Lutsen huh? Might have to make that the northern trip.

10. ofspunk7

Well it is about the same drive but different state. I think it was like 6 hours... and lutsen is 5. 100% worth the extra hour. Any place that makes you sign a waiver before they hand you a lift ticket is pretty sweet.... add to that the extremely low traffic (almost always empty) to the MT and you are golden.

http://www.mtbohemia.com/

Mountain Info Mount Bohemia in Michigan's Upper Peninsula has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. This hidden secret is a true treasure for backcountry skiers and riders. The average snowfall in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. This makes for a great morning to make the first tracks!
    Bohemia's two new sections the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before. Chutes, cliff drops and a half-mile wide forest will challenge skiers and riders as well as Pirates Cove on the north face guaranteeing the best snow on the mountain.
    NO BEGINNERS ALLOWED!
    900 FOOT VERTICAL DROP + 75 RUNS!

11. Ninja 4 Life

Well that sounds like it would be worth the extra hour! I think we shall have to make that a trip then. Can always meet up with some of the Duluth crew and head out from there.

12. Ninja 4 Life

I finally got to take a look at the website and it looks like a blast! Should be a crazy adventure with all the trees in the middle of some of the runs :eek3:. But either way I would be down for a weekend trip up that way for sure. Lake effect snow is always a blast to cut through when it is fresh.

13. Ninja 4 Life

Bump for some snow on the ground. Seeing if we can get some more interest.

14. thealtaholic

thealtaholic Well-Known Member

I gotta get in on this action! Took out a knee on the ice last year and didn't get to ski at all. I really hope I get to make up for it this winter.

Hey KSAL, you guys do ski tunes out there?

15. Physicker

Physicker Member

I'm interested in hearing more details. I'd love to get riding more with more people.

Mt. Bohemia sound very very interesting.

16. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

We certainly do! $30 for a basic tune and $40 for our performance tune which comes with a stone grind for the base.

17. Ninja 4 Life

Well with several locations opening this weekend and chance for some more snow tonight, let's try and get the first trip booked.

Weekend:

December 18th
    January 8th
    January 15th

Place:
    Afton Alps
    Wild Mountain
    Welch Village

Let me know what would work best for you and I can get everything set up and ready.

18. Physicker

Physicker Member

I'd be down for either the weekend of Dec 18th or Jan 15th, at welch or Afton.

19. Matchbx

Matchbx Well-Known Member

Another option that's fairly close to the cities (a little over 3 hours) is Granite Peak out near Wausau, WI. We went there a few times last year and had a really good time. It's a 700 foot mountain with a huge amount of runs and quite a good number of lifts (including a six person turbo lift).
    http://www.skigranitepeak.com/media/trailmap/trailmap.pdf This is a pdf of the trailmap. Looks like they have a good size boardercross area and some terrain parks in there as well.

I wish I could join you guys on one of the weekends. I'll have to see how things pan out with the new baby on the way. I may not be able to get away before it's born. And I'm sure I won't be able to make it after.

20. Ninja 4 Life

So after doing a bit more looking into it and getting my December in order. Looks like the best trip for starting out would be in January. So with that, I will plan a trip for January 15th at Afton Alps. Also if we can get a group of 20 or more we can get a group discount on lift tickets. I can call and get more info if we have enough people lined up, so if you have significant others, little ones, relatives or friends that would want to come sign them up.

I posted another tread to keep the trip free of clutter.

21. ofspunk7

Hey guys and gals. I am running the Rock-N-Ride @ Afton on Saturday. Just wanted to let people know... it is always a good time. The levels of riders vary from "really bad" to "did he really just do that". So don't worry about your skills if you want to come out and get some free prizes. It will be me and a buddy running the show, so stop by and say hi if you don't want to compete.

Oh and it is FREE to come out and ride or watch!
    (you need a lift ticket to ride)

http://www.aftonalps.com/calendar.php?cID=432

Rock n Ride Noon til 2pm

December 18, 2010
    Rock n Ride is having a face lift this season (new and improved). Check back for more details here or on facebook. Nick has some special events he is working on for this season.
    Fun Snowboard & Ski Twin Tip Event, Music, Bonfire, & Prizes
    Dec. 18, Jan. 15, Feb. 5, and Mar. 19
    Dec 18th plan: Games of SnoDice with the FL Project Snowboard Team.
    The Vitals
    Time: 12noon – 2pm
    Where: Terrain park on chair 8 (carol’s crib)
    Date: Saturday Dec. 18th
    Music: 93X – playing music from 12noon – 2pm