1967 Datsun Fairlady Roadster...

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by readymix, Jul 27, 2008.

1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Old cars ftw, my 80 is 8 bucks a month, and my 81 is 18 for full coverage.

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

ftw ftw ftw ftw

3. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I'm stoked, the car costs me about 150/year to keep...not including gas of course.

4. readymix

5. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

that should scoot along quite nicely. hell even a bone stock 4 cyl from a old 240 would make that car move pretty well.

that should be a ton of fun to build and drive.

6. readymix

Actually the KA24 and the SR20DE are also popular swaps, but I like to lean towards the insane end of the spectrum. 1900lbs + 300+whp = win.

7. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Jason, that blue you want to paint it is sick. It's going to be a super nice car when done.

8. readymix

Yes, I'm really excited to get started. The blue in question: (photoshopped) Still kindof on the fence on this one, I saw pics of a 350Z Daytona blue and I still like that color, but the Infinity Caribbean Blue is hot too. Either way, blue...

9. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

blue cars ftmfw

10. readymix

Haha, yeah, I thought about that for a little bit, a pearl/metallic blue car with a hood scoop and bug eyes...hmmm, where have we seen that before?

Also, for those afraid to click t3hw00t links...

11. 02blubru

I have seen a car that meets that description some where... drawing a blank right now though... lol

12. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

I would let that car eat crackers in bed.

13. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

that picture of the blue one is hot! Cant wait to see yours when its done!!!

14. carl

carl Well-Known Member

redtop looks like it's in pretty good condition. where'd you get it through?

15. carl

carl Well-Known Member

oh yea, jason, if you need nissan factory service manuals for sr20det's I have e copies of them

16. greg donovan

a nice period corect light blue would be pretty cool too and really keep it under the radar. unless of course the goal is to overload the radar.

17. greg donovan

have a friend with a 240 liftback with a mildly built KA24 with cams, headwork, and high compression pistons that is a blast to drive. i can only imagine what it would be like with nearly 1000 less pounds to lug around.

18. readymix

Pulled the body off the 69 last night. Much thanks to Curly and wotboy who did pretty much all the work while I drank and ate pizza.

The 69 now has a home, Curly wants to weld it back together and fix the frame on the 67. He's taking all of it.

A few pics of the frame are on the t3hw00t.com/datsun page.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Anything tonight?

20. readymix

Tonight, I'm sorting through all my tools because I felt like a total tool bag last night when we couldn't find simple sockets. I just got back from Northern Tool though, so I feel pretty good about my tool situation.

21. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

haha, better than you got the tools before the hard parts. last night was pretty simple and straight forward... good times.

i can't wait to get the 69 and work on that this summer, i think i am going more of the SCCA circa 67-70 style with it tho

22. readymix

Yeah, the racing Datsun thing is hot. There is a site devoted to racing Roadsters. I'll have to get you a link.

23. readymix

24. readymix

Lots of progress this weekend, but I can't find the cable for the camera :(

Mike spent all weekend here welding and cutting. There is now a Roadster frame with an SR20DET and tranny mounted on it! Just a week behind now due to the SR20DET issues. Not too bad considering. I'll try to get the build page updated tonight when I find a cable for the camera.

25. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Did you get the engine rebuilt already?!?!?!

Or just mocking up fitment.

26. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Where were you on friday, I wanted to see the torn down block???

27. greg donovan

it is times liek this that i wish i was closer to the twin cities. i would love to lend a hand on projects like this. or at least be an out of the way fly on the wall learning how to do new stuff.

28. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Holy crap dude, I just saw the updated pictures on the car. That engine ftl. That is straight up ad material for some car chemical company. :(

Please post pictures of your after-cleaning so I can fully see the difference.

-Ryan

29. readymix

Mike Wray is going to have to upload the pics, as I don't have the cable he needs. On Friday we didn't do anything. Mike was busy that day so I went to FS. Saturday we cleaned the engine parts...parts washer, pressure-washer, parts washer, pressure washer, wipe down, oil up. It looks fantastic now. The head cover got cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint. Sunday we started fabbing up the frame. Mike got the engine mounts welded on and cut all the holes in the frame that needed to be cut. Then today he welded up the crossmember. He'll be back in two weeks to finish assembling the engine and welding up the transmission mount and the extra bracing for the frame.

In the meantime, I'll be disassembling the front brakes and the suspension bits and getting the frame ready to be blasted. When Mike and I are done two weekends from now, Mike will haul the frame off to Buffalo to be blasted and coated. While that is happening, I plan on getting the body prepped and hopefully all painted up.

30. EtchyLives

EtchyLives Well-Known Member

Jason,

I'll be back in town for a few weeks starting next Saturday. I'll have PLENTY of time to help you out on this one. Count me in. No hand-raising here. I'm in for the win.

31. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

we gotta get a time locked down for saturday too

32. readymix

I'll be here all day Curly.

Greg, you are welcome here anytime buddy.

33. 02blubru

I was just talking with ben(subytek) that they and myself should make a trip there this weekend and check it out. so you might see us.

34. readymix

You're more than welcome to stop by...all of you.

35. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Sent me a pm with your location, I'll be in St Paul next weekend hopefully working with Fobia on some aero parts and I'd like to stopby.

36. readymix

PM Sent :)

37. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

I may stop by depending on the day, Saturday is a definite yes. Also I will come no drama, just there for the lulz and Jag.

38. readymix

39. greg donovan

only a sadist or a car nut would look at those pictures and think that was a good time.

that being said it looks like fun. cant wait to see some pics of it all together.

i wish i had the money and time to round up materials and get some help from mike to repair the rust on my legacy. his looked great before the wreck.

i keep telling my wife we need two roadsters. one for her and a child and one for me and the other child.

40. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I think you might be on to something here...

41. greg donovan

i keep saying it would be fun to get two solctices and have a white one with plates that say winter and a yellow one with plates that say summer.

GXPs of course.

42. fondune

fondune Well-Known Member

your build is CURSED! CURSES!
    [​IMG]

43. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Jason said i could talk about his cursed builds in here.

cursed builds are cursed

44. readymix

To help clean up that guy's engine build thread, I'm moving the "Cursed Readymix Builds" discussion here.

So, the last two weeks. Aside from the massive progress in the fabrication department (thank you Mike Wray), we had some snags. Medium sized snags, but snags nonetheless.

First off, Slowboy Racing is a bunch of filthy ****ing liars. All day. They are the new VividRacing IMO. Selling stuff that isn't in stock, lying about the shipping status, and then quietly CANCELLING ORDERS WITHOUT NOTIFYING ANYONE. That was the engine bearings we needed to re-assemble the SR20det.

Second, my wheels arrived. I got the tires on them. Mounted one on the rear passenger side, fit perfectly, just need to roll the fenders a bit. Put one on the front passenger side....doesn't fit. Centerbore of the wheel is too small for the FRONT wheel's center hub post. Go figure, the front wheel hub center bores are different than the rear hub. So now I have to have the wheel center bores machined to fit the front.

**UPDATE ON THAT**

I can also die grind the center hubs on the car. This will be much cheaper, as machining wheels will be at minimum, 300 bucks. Anyone got a diegrinder?

45. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I do, somewhere around here. I don't know that I'd grind the hubs though. And why $300 to machine the wheels? I'm going to get a quote to do the same this afternoon, and I hope it' nowhere near that . . .

I have used the die grinder to enlarge the center bore on a set of wheels before, but they were cheap steelies. The wheels I need to get machined were also enlarged once (by someone by hand, before I got them), but thankfully they're still smaller than the Nissan centerbore, so I can get the cleaned up along with the enlarging.