2/10/13 Drive n' Dine - Hot Beef Beef: Round 1!

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by SurlyOldManMN, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

The next Drive n' Dine event will be Sunday, 2/10/13 at Maverick's Roast Beef in Roseville.

**February's Drive n' Dine suggestion brought to you by Nuke!**

As many of you may or may not know, each year several beef-based beefs play out on the mean (or is it average?) streets of the twin cities and surrounding areas. Matt's vs. 5-8, Manny's vs. Mancini's, Von Hansen's vs Greg's Meats, and on and on...

This month, I bring you round one of a legendary hot beef beef over 10 years running... Maverick's vs. Wally's.

First up:
    Maverick's Roast Beef
    http://mavericksroastbeef.com/

The Cruise portion of the event is CANCELLED due to ice.

The "dine" portion of the event is still a go for 3:00pm at Maverick's.

Take your time, stay safe, see you there!

===========================================================================

Nuke tipped me off to Maverick's as crazy good, simple roast beef sandwiches. The first review I came across was five stars and it described Maverick's as what Arby's should have been. Not so compelling... That wasn't the only review though, and far from the only 4-5 star review. I figured there must be something to it and dug a little deeper...

After visiting Maverick's for myself... I get it. This IS what Arby's should have been, and it should have been a double helping of f'ing awesome topped with winsauce. I was skeptical because my expectations of what could be were WAY too low. WTH Arby's?!

I got a "regular" roast beef, a Jamaican jerk brisket, a pulled pork and a french dip. All were startlingly good. I'm glad I got something for myself and ate it there. Things came dangerously close to fisticuffs over the rest when I got home.

This is indeed what roast beef sandwiches were supposed to be the whole time. I had no idea...

Examples of what you can expect:

PERFECTLY medium rare, velvety, tender roast beef thin shaved to order, piled high on a bun cut and toasted to order, accompanied by a potato cake fried to order (notice a trend here?), all delivered in less time than it took to decide what I wanted to order to take home to test on the Mrs and minion (or M&M's as I refer to them... silently).
    [​IMG]

SOME of the condiments available. Fresh where possible, big surprise... The fresh grated horseradish made my weepy in at least three different ways.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not so secret secret:
    [​IMG]

Gravy. All up in teh bidness. 'Nuff said.
    [​IMG]

For those of you who have not attended a Drive n' Dine event before and don't know what to expect... These are RELAXED CRUISES run at or below the speed limit. It is NOT a "fun run" or otherwise performance-oriented event. That's not lip-service or CYA. I'll be at the front and the needle is going to register 25-30 mph for most of this cruise. If you pass me or otherwise act the fool, just keep going. Don't bother stopping at the restaurant as you will not be welcome to join us. Granted I can't stop you from going and sitting by yourself with your nose in the corner; rest assured I will make a special effort to mercilessly shame and ridicule you to the best of my ability, which I am told is formidable.

If you're looking to improve your car control skills while exploring the best back roads in the region, keep it under your hat for this event and come talk to be about road rallying instead. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

What time? I'll probably walk there.

3. SurlyOldManMN

2-3'ish. I chatted up the staff and they said they're usually dead by then after getting hammered with a rush around 11am. I get the feeling more later is more betterer for a lot of members. I'll lock in the time when I have the cruise route figured out and I'm positive I know when I can get us there without too much hassle.

sidenote: There was a dude there who was your spitting image if you were a little bit bulkier. I went out of my way to ensure I made him obviously uncomfortable with my staring.

BroCo likes this.
  4. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I like the sounds of this. I grew up eating Mayslacks roast beef and would love to try this.

5. SurlyOldManMN

Mayslacks came up a lot in the reviews. The lore is Mayslacks is no longer the actual Mayslacks recipe. One of the former owners took it with him when he sold. The original recipe can still be had at Moe's (http://www.moesonthego.com/). The stuff at TCF stadium is also "authentic" Mayslacks, owned by the same guy operating Moe's. The people who claim to know say this is as good or better. But, you know... intarwebz. So take that as you will.

6. BroCo

We used to buy it at Anoka Meats. Last I heard it was his Daughter that knew the recipe and would make it, that was years ago.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I've eaten at Mayslack's and Maverick's. I'm not sure which I like better. They're both good!

8. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Say what? I was the one who said Mavericks!!!

9. SurlyOldManMN

[​IMG]

Seriously?! I think I remember that conversation while you were hammering out my E85 tune now! I had Brian's name next to it on my notes. I was sure I heard it from him while bellied up to Bar Chabot. Mah bad!

10. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

In, Coming to all the D&D this year.

Love to eat and drive my subi.

If/when we have to fill up along the way, no problem.

SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  11. SurlyOldManMN

12. idget

Depending on when this was, I suppose it could have been me. I used to go there a ton. Also, I constantly fluctuate between 170-210lbs depending on the time of year lol
    That said, I would have been very comfortable with said male to male staring.

13. SurlyOldManMN

Well how about that. Weather looks just about perfect to go hammer out the cruise route... :uhhuh:

14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Gaze at me bro.

15. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

Meat gazers. Or would that be meet gazers?

16. tangledupinblu

It would be "meat gayzers".

17. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

But could it be meet gayzer? Because you'll be gayzing, at a car meet! :confused:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  18. idget

[​IMG]

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

sweet, I'm in!

20. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

I'm a maybe. Haven't checked to see if my co-driver is interested or not.

21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I used to live right behind old mexico on roma. Mavericks is fuggin awesome.

22. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

Ive eaten there a few times for lunch and they are pretty good. I usually need to order two to fill me up.

23. SurlyOldManMN

Reminder this is still going down on Sunday! I'm not going to let a little thing like my engine blowing up stop me from participating. What's your excuse?

24. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

I skipped the Tuesday meet to make this... I think?!?!?!

25. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I'm likely in. Just be aware that the weather sounds like its going to be a **** show.

26. SurlyOldManMN

Yup. Cruise will be short and easy. Finishing nailing it down today.

27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

ok, so I have to ask...roughly what time are we meeting?

28. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Read through the thread...

29. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hot.

Beef.

30. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I'm at drill till at least 4, looks like I am out. :(

31. idget

What? When?

What? Why?

32. derp

derp Well-Known Member

shortly after I got home from Iraq, I lived there prior to moving in to the APTs josh lives at.

I'll be at drill for the guard this weekend and we don't get released til at least 4. I'd like to come to this, but it's too early in the day.

33. SurlyOldManMN

I'm thinking about skipping the cruise and just having people meet there for safety purposes. Freezing rain/drizzle makes me a little nervous thinking about having a line of cars grouped together, even if they are ZOMGSUBARU's.

What do you guys think?

tangledupinblu likes this.
  34. SurlyOldManMN

35. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

The route looks cool. My $.02 is that if the roads are bad enough that I wouldn't want to cruise, then they're also bad enough that I wouldn't want to drive to Maverick's, granted I'm in MLPS. AWD doesn't mean we can stop any better on ice, not to mention all the other idiots that don't know how to drive at all.

36. derp

derp Well-Known Member

make it later in the day, jerk :frantic:

there's talk of early release from drill, so that might be something. And it's funny because the guy who makes that decision is going to make it based off of what I tell him. :angel:

37. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I am going to mavericks tonite, based solely on this review. My wife's like how did you find out bout this...mnsubaru, so much more than cars!

38. BroCo

It it is really bad I'm not going to chance driving all the way down for this. I was really looking forward to going.

39. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

I'm just crazy enough to do it, regardless.

If it is going to happen, would you mind editing the first post to include the meet up time at the start? And we can estimate, from Google Maps, that the cruisers would be at Maverick's 30 - 40 minutes later, for those how want to eat but not cruise.

40. tangledupinblu

+1. I will be trying to attend this tomorrow! Possibly bringing the lady with(Sheen), and the girlfriend too.

41. SurlyOldManMN

I'm on the fence here. 4-5 hours of "frozen mix" before hand could be bad mojo. OTOH, it's all low speed, leisurely city driving.

Let's call it tentatively on for now, with a final go/no-go decision locked in by 11:59am tomorrow.

Departure time will be 2:20pm. Estimated arrival time of 3:00pm-3:10pm. FB updated. Working on the OP now.

42. tangledupinblu

I will be planning to meet at Mavericks. Passing on the cruise, but not on dem sammiches!

BroCo likes this.
  43. SurlyOldManMN

I'm going to be looking for "on the ground" condition advice from folks in the area. I know Sheen is close. Anyone else who is there and will be able to poke their head out the window by 11:00 or so, I would greatly appreciate some feedback on driving conditions.

44. tangledupinblu

I can poke my head out, lol. New Brighton here, so just north of the venue...and Sheenis.

45. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Wheelock pkwy can get slippery near phalen but it should be a good drive. I may cruise on a windy route from MPLS just so I don't have to double back.