2002 Outback - Gas Smell in Cabin

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jdhaack41, Feb 9, 2018.

1. jdhaack41

jdhaack41 New Member

Hi all,

The past week or so I've been noticing a horrible gas smell inside my car mostly while idling. Took it to JM's yesterday, and they told me they tightened all the clamps, but would need me to leave it overnight so they could do a cold start and take a look if it doesn't get better. It's actually gotten worse since they tightened the clamps.

I would rather not be without my car for more than a day, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things I could be looking for or could take care of on my own to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Not that i know of. I payed for JM to replace all of the rubber fuel lines and put in new clamps a couple of months ago. Fuel smell has been completely mitigated. I believe that i left it with them for 1-2 days. It’s all relative to how busy they are when you take it in to them.

I’d go the new lines/clamps route if i was you. I can’t live with the smell and all of the Imprezas had the recall on it. So it’s a pretty well known problem

jdhaack41 likes this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Had an '02 Outback with the exact same issue...happened on very cold days...those days where you really don't want to phuck with it on your own out in the weather.

Clamps and hoses.

jdhaack41 and tangledupinblu like this.
  4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I have an 05 with the same issue on very cold days. Let Jesse find out where the leak is coming from and either re-tighten clamps or replace rubber fuel lines.

jdhaack41 likes this.
  5. jdhaack41

jdhaack41 New Member

Thanks for all your replies guys. I did find this tutorial that I was hoping to get to this past weekend, but it never warmed up like they said it would. I still plan on giving it a go, but thought I would see what the other people thought.