2004 Subaru Alert!!!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by tmarc12366009, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

hopefully they take it to a body shop in the area and its discovered as stolen.

I'll keep my eyes open for craigslist and I emailed it to people I know that live in the area.

2. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

what the hell, they go threw the back window?..that sucks, i will bee keeping and eye on craigslsit for you.

3. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Sorry to hear about this.

Apartment complex garages are infamous for this sort of thing. What the thieves do is go around to the cars in the lot, look for one that's unlocked and has an opener or card for the garage (and in a large complex, that's pretty high probability they'll find it).

Then they just open the garage in the middle of the night, just like they belong there, go in, and take their time getting into the cars. Generally they hit most/all of the cars in the garage, or at least anything that has valuable stuff in sight. Actually stealing a car is rarer.

And a typical OEM alarm is beyond simple to disable to anyone who knows what they're doing.

A friend of mine had several thousands worth of car stereo gear stolen this way. Twice, in < 6months. Afterwards he just decided to leave the stock AM/FM/Cassette and forgo the future hassle.

4. whipsack

whipsack Well-Known Member

Sorry that happened man. I will also keep an eye out for the car. From the pic that looks like Nicollet Ridge or The Atrium, right? I lived at Nicollet Ridge and had 2 of my cars vandalized, they didn't even take anything including my sub and like a gazillion cd's I had in there. Yes Vector is right, the Burnsville cop I talked to said criminals love those underground garages because late at night nobody's down there and they can also just go in through the front door, somebody usually thinks they live there and lets them in. Almost no apts have cameras in the garages because it eats into thier bottom line, greedy jerks.

5. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

they probably clipped the horn wires before they broke in.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the complex has multiple units and one shares their garage with one maybe two people. not one of those underground units. At least thats what it looks like from the pictures.

7. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

First two pics were from a friends townhouse residence where I lived for a couple years... Last pic was of my underground garage stall at my apartment complex where I now live...

Haven't even been here for 3 months... YIKES! Apparently my car is the first car that was stolen from this complex in at least the last 5 years, but I guess the whole Burnsville area has had a rise in automobile breakins over the past couple months... Isn't that great to hear! :roll:

Thanks again for all the support everyone! I really can't say enough for this community of Subaru lovers... I will most definitely keep you all posted on what happens and whether or not they find it.

-Marc

8. Snowbum

Snowbum Well-Known Member

That really suck dude. I'll keep my eyes open on the road for ya

9. TheWRX

TheWRX Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that bro...any clue at all who it might of been...

Moh

10. tmarc12366009

No idea... Not really the type of person that makes any enemies... I am guessing this was someone who had been following me around and casing me out trying to find an opportunity to pull this off. I just can't see someone just stumbling upon a lightly modded WRX and deciding to steal it on the spot... I'm thinkin they had this all premeditated, especially since they uncovered my rims to take them as well.

I believe two other cars were broken into as well, but not sure what was taken. My car was the only missing vehicle...

11. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

they must have thought that your WRX was the best winter get away vehicle.

12. tmarc12366009

^^^ :laugh::laugh::laugh: Thanks Martin, I needed that... :)

13. tmarc12366009

I just realized that my avatar now directly reflects on my situation now... :(

<<<<---- I GOT OWN3D...

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

This seems premeditated, I mean the factory alarm isn't hard to get passed but there are steps.

15. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

speak of the devil!!! This morning I had a dream that my car got stolen and stripped out BARE with the top chopped off and no interior/wires, engine diveline, nadda!!! I woke up and looked out my window and saw it was still there....

must have been a SIGN????

16. segfault

segfault Well-Known Member

+1 on the lookout for the WRX!

17. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I'm sure it was premeditated. While it wasn't difficult to pull off, they likely cased the garage to see the feasibility of the theft, and likely knew exactly what car they were going for.

18. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

Welcome to my scenario 10 months ago almost. I feel your pain. Im sure it was pre meditated, when mine was stolen (in under 30 seconds) they swapped a license plate from anouther subaru wrx onto the back so they could drive it for 8 thousand miles in under a month.

What insurance company do you have? Did you owe on it, if so do you have gap insurance? Subarus hold there value so it shouldnt be a big deal to get more then what you owe back on it. The insurance company will usually wait 30 days before they process your pay out to see if the car shows up.

PRAY that the car doesnt show up, you do not want that car back. I got my car back 20 days later and after being in the body shop for 2 1/2 weeks the car was still not the same. Ask the guys at minnetonka suby what was wrong when i sold my car back to them. Your car will never be the same again.

Did you have any personal information in the car? name, address, ss#, old checks. Make sure you cover your personal identity. We had some personal stuff in my car when it was stolen we changed some accounts and locks on our home doors, just to be safe.

I feel for ya man, i wish the best. In my situation this was a blessing in disguise. I was paying over 700 a month for my car with insurance and it was starting to kill me. Now i couldnt be happier with no car payment and dirt cheap insurance on my GC. Just keep positive and things will turn out ok for you.

19. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

I sold my civic for this reason (and the fact that it was a civic, and i was sick of it). That really sucks dude. Best of luck and I hope they either 1. don't find it or 2. Find it beyond repair. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my car back after someone beat the crap outta it and tanted it.

20. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

Since I read about this, I have been locking and arming my car ALL of the time now- even when it is in the garage. I live out in the sticks and used to keep it un-locked even when it was parked outside overnight -for convenience... Not anymore.

Does a factory Subaru alarm do anything to prevent things like this?

21. AspitFire

goes off, but like said facory alarms are easy to disable and bypass

22. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

The car has been found in Bloomington, I just got an email from a friend of mine at Bloomington PD this morning asking if I knew of any stolen Subarus. I'll let the OP fill us in when he can as he'll know more than we will.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Thats good hopefully its not all f*cked up!

24. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

Wow Brian. Talk about being on the pulse of the local Subaru subculture. I'm impressed!

25. carl

carl Well-Known Member

do you know if they apprehended the thieves too or just found the car?

26. AspitFire

pause for more info

27. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

Catch the thieves or not I just hope that is indeed his car and nothing is wrong with it....

28. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

Would insurance cover anything damaged from the theft? IE: Engine damage.

I am guessing that would be hard to prove.

I really hope they didn't get too much enjoyment out of it....****ing stupid *******s

29. Urabusvids

Urabusvids Well-Known Member

Im sorry thats so gay i will for sure keep an eye out, that is rediculous

30. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i believe it has been found

31. John16V

Let's hope so......in one piece...

32. ShortytheFirefighter

I'm plugged in like you wouldn't believe ;)

At least this turned out better than mine did...

33. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Excellent news, I came into the forum today just to see this. Good lookin out Brian. And hopefully it is in good shape.

34. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

Really sucks, but it comes with having a sexy car, people will wanna take what you have. I hope you can turn these lemons into lemonade, STI in ur future? I hope for the best.

35. tmarc12366009

Ok... Update...

Thanks again for the input people...

Good news... It was found today late morning/early afternoon. I've been on the horn all day long trying to figure this all out. It was found, abandoned in a Bloomington apartment parking lot filthy (aparently from the joy-riding SOB's!!!:mad:)... Car still seemed intact, (even though I have yet to see it) apparently only missing my stereo equipment, but the Police Dept really couldn't know what was in the car before besides what was in my original report.

Bad news... Have to wait until the insurance company adjuster comes out to take a look and document everything. I cannot be the person to pick it up since it would potentially affect the insurance claim. So now it is a waiting process... I have no idea the shape it is in, however, the nurve of these low-lifes to committ grand theft auto over some stupid audio equipment and or CD's and various other BS drives me crazy! Let alone the fact that, like stated above, these a$$holes potential drove the s**t out of MY car. Who knows what type of internal damage they might have done...

All I can hope for is the best, of course... But in reality I almost would rather it be totalled out so that I didn't have to deal with someone else's abuse and destruction of my property. I don't think it will ever be the same to me. Probably just some young kids willing to sacrifice their lives/futures/freedoms over some petty 3 year old stereo equipment that, what, maybe they can get a total of $300 or $400 dollars worth for. UGH!!!

I will keep you all posted on some further details as I find them out, as well as try and post some "after" pics...

Couple questions for those of you with some unfortunate experience with this whole headache...

1. Can I expect to have the insurance company be as thorough and detailed as I want when going through inspection of the vehicle? (I am talking checking for compression, and/or internal engine abuse, and/or transmission/differential abuse...) Currently through Progressive - Full coverage/comprehensive/$500 deductible

2. I do have a loan on the vehicle, should I consider parting ways to potentially look into other options providing that I don't lose my ass on a trade-in or sale of my "fixed" vehicle? (5 year loan with almost two years paid off - original loan for approx. $15,000)

3. I plan to have SERIOUS discussion with the apartment management regarding the issue and whether or not I have a case to get out of my lease. (How can one feel safe knowing that your personal belongings/privacy is in question? What's to stop them from doin this again when I do have my car fixed?) I have been here for less than 3 months and really like my place and location, however, this incident doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the security. Do I have any ground to stand on when trying to leverage the idea of breaking my lease?

Thank you all once again, for your input and support! Bah humbug! :roll:
    -Marc

36. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I'm glad that they found the car for you, it's like finding a lost kid sometimes. As far as your questions go, I think you've got good grounds for trying to negotiate out of your lease. Before going that far though, I would suggest getting a closed-circuit camera for the garage. Maybe two, but it wouldn't take much in this case, really. I think suggesting that they do this might be a good business venture as far as they are concerned, plus it helps them keep a *good* tenant.

37. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Glad they found it. Hopefully it'll be just fine. I wouldn't question you if you did want to sell it. :(

Insurance companies SHOULD allow you to change lock cylinders in your vehicle. Insure that a SUBARU DEALERSHIP does this, and that they update it with SOA.

That's just step 1.

38. tmarc12366009

Progressive insurance (full coverage and full comprehensive/collision, $500 deductible)... I do owe on it and believe I have gap insurance... And yes there is a 30 day processing window, but obviously that won't all be needed since they found it... Where do you suggest taking the vehicle for inspection and work? I realize the Progressive will have their suggestions, but I want nothing short of the best!

I did have my check book, "incase of emergency" VISA credit card, some gift cards without any personal info on them, but had my work office key card, business organizer/portfolio with some business cards and info inside, as well as just some other misc. stuff of small personal significance... I did cancel all checks, switch bank accounts... Cancelled and switched credit card info... And have suspended and cancelled my key cards incase they took that info.

Thanks for the ideas... I need all the advice I can get at this point!

39. tmarc12366009

Made that suggestion to them as well as told them about the fact that my garage key was also in the vehicle so it might be a good idea to change the garage security lock... Apparently both these suggestions are TOO MUCH MONEY and too time consuming! (idiots) As far as installing cameras in the garages they also claim there are certain liabilities they try and avoid... :roll: Basically tells me they don't really give a sh*t and don't want to be responsible for paying out for insurance purposes! Seems pretty greedy...

40. EggRoll

EggRoll Well-Known Member

It's good to hear that they found your baby, wishing for the best!

41. John16V

Glad they found your car....

Let us know how the car check out.

42. tmarc12366009

^^^ Thank you both! :)

43. ShortytheFirefighter

Sorry to hear about your car man. I know how much it sucks to have a car stolen, I lost my first Subaru to car thieves. Of course, my aftermath was a bit different than yours. After they took what they wanted out/off of my car the bastards set it on fire. It gets better with time, trust me.

As far as how your insurance will work with you, I couldn't tell you. I'm sure that they'll do a thorough inspection and document all issues they find. Make sure you have a list of what was in the car and on the car. You may or may not get money for the mods you had, I'm not sure how Progressive does it. Keep us posted, hopefully you'll be able to get things back on track soon.

44. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

I as well have been through this drama before. I would advise you to play 100% hard ball with the insurance company. I refused to accept my truck back when it was stolen as they went mudding with it. They did kick and fuss for a while but ended up paying.

I would do some research about the value of your car. Look on the usual sites to see what it is worth. Also any reciepts for rims, tires, stereo's and the such. Add it all together and that is what you want for the car. They do have the ability to negotiate so be prepaired.

45. tmarc12366009

Good input fellas, thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.