2004 WRX Double DIN Removal Help

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by JuStaWRX, Jul 30, 2013.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I am currently in the process of removing my double DIN OEM unit from my 2004 WRX. I am wondering if anyone has better luck than I do finding a link for how to/video of the removal? I have found a lot on 05+ removal but not as much for before. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Pretty much identical except you need to pull the cupholder out and remove the screws holding it in. From there you can pop the cover off. Then the stereo is fastened by 6 screws.

3. JuStaWRX

Got it, thank you!

I have now removed all of that, got the OEM 6 disc changer out, and now, thought I was ready to install the new deck. However, it does not appear to be the 14 pin plug in from the original wiring. Is that something that I will need to swap out for the one that came with it?

Oh goodness I hope that this ends well...

4. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

I think you may be referring to a wiring harness.. You need to buy one from Metra, scosche, etc. they can be had for $10-$15.

Then it's as easy as matching up the wires, soldering or crimping them and plugging it into your Subaru harness.

5. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

6. JuStaWRX

I believe that this unit came with the wiring harness already... there was one in the box that looks a lot like that..

7. readymix

The one in the box plugs into the Clarion head unit. The Metra plug mimics the socket on the back of the Subaru head unit so you can plug it into the car's wiring harness. You then splice the Clarion harness to the Metra harness, plug the metra harness into the car wiring harness and the clarion harness into the clarion head unit.

8. readymix

All the harness in the Clarion box is is the plug for the head unit itself. That Metra harness saves you from cutting up the car's OEM wiring to splice in the new head unit. It basically provides you with a plug that plugs into the car's OEM harness with wires you can splice into your clarion harness.

9. JuStaWRX

Oh..... I see. That makes sense. This is some new territory for me.

10. JuStaWRX

I maybe should have looked a little further in to this before starting this evening...lol. Thank you guys for your help.