2005 impreza outback sport idle problem

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Chance, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

I have an 05 impreza 2.5 n/a with the electronic throttle body.
    I am having an issue with it that it will start run and idle fine until it gets to optimal running temp and then the throttle is sticking (usually between 2000 and 3000 rpm).
    I have seen this issue covered on the cable throttle and with the cable cruise being the culprit but mine is electronic.
    Also after about 10 minutes of driving after it's already been at optimal temp it will go back to not sticking.

My concerns lie in this that it's terrorizing my clutch as it's always stuck at about 3000 rpm when I'm city driving trying to shift gears and that I look like a fool at the light with my car yelling.

Any help in this would be much appreciated!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

When was the last time your mass airflow sensor was cleaned? How about your IACV

3. Chance

Chance New Member

When it did it a couple days in a row I cleaned the MAF, all the sensor plugs, and did the front of the throttle plate.
    My next step was going to be to take it all apart and deep clean it just seems weird how it will do it once warm but not cold and then after about 10 minutes of it acting crazy it goes back to normal.
    And the electronic throttle has the idle valve that's the plunger piece not the normal piece on top like I've seen on the wire throttles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Im sure others will chime in with ideas. Other wise JM Auto in Osseo is a great local shop resource.

5. Chance

Chance New Member

Sounds good. Just hoping it is something easy that I could fix myself to save the money or something that someone else has encountered and knows what it is instead of wasting money on trying to attempt everything.

6. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Did you try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a minute? It should "relearn" the idle and maybe fix the issue. Coolant temp sensor could be another suspect - temp gauge working fine?

7. Chance

Chance New Member

I have not done the ECU reset because it idle just fine when I start it and while it's warming up just has that 10 minutes of holding rpm after warm.
    The temp gauge seems to work fine as it starts on cold and will slowly work up until it's center in the temp range