2007 MNSubaru "La Crosse Cruise"

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by tangledupinblu, Feb 13, 2007.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hello to all! I've recently had some event discussion with some board members and am looking to check interests in a spring/summer event in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

So here are some ideas...feedback would be great! Thanks everyone-Josh.

1)BIG EVENT! Many of us enjoy being active in MNSubaru, and the more and more we see large group vids on sites like YouTube, the more we are wanting to put together a meet of "MASS NUMBERS!!" A meet to show the internets the strength and size of our club.

The Event: A day trip/bbq to La Crosse,WI. on a Saturday this spring/summer. The trip would be approximately two and a half hours one way, down hwy.61 south. We would make arrangements to obtain space at a local business or park in La Crosse. BBQ, some chips, baked beans, burgers, chicken, etc.

2)Video/pics-We would also be looking for a person or two with a decent video camera that would be willing to travel ahead of the pack a ways and set up and shoot video footage for a 2007 MNSubaru club video to share with the world! Everyone could also take vids from the cars on the trip down to "edit in" for a more interesting view point. I know alot of you have tripods and other in-car set ups for shooting your own videos!

3)To make this happen, we need large group numbers!! The bbq would either be a pot-luck style lunch, or if everyone was down to pay $15 or $20 dollars, it could be a flat out bbq where food/drink are taken care of!?

So here it is in "black and white":
    All you will need for this event is around $20!?, like a half a tank of gas, and a Saturday off for a day of sunshine and exhaust fumes! Oh and some bbq! We are tring to put together a video for MNSubaru...all hands on deck!! We would appreciate any feedback. If you only go to one event a year, this should be it. Enjoy your friends, your car, and some curvy hwy. driving!:yumyum: *Remember, it's only a day trip! You can be home to the kids by dinner time! Or you could bring the wife and kids, we are wanting to get some park space, perfect for bringing the fam! So throw up your comments and ideas-Thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Date is officially set-June 23rd,2007!!!
    The La Crosse Count
    The "Official"-unofficial list!

4)Sogonerg+1--------27)djhamp---------------50)mengo charged--73)Slo-WRX
    5)Wrxboy2003+4-----28)phi11-----------------51)ej20------------74)callaesthetics
    6)Mnstylinwrx+1-----29)project/driven---------52)Chuanpreza
    7)2.5~rs------------30)Stooo+1---------------53)T-Rex5000
    8)ScandiaWRX-------31)RichWRX--------------54)BBsRS
    9)Chux--------------32)Justin-----------------55)Scuba Steve+1
    10)WRX1------------33)Ksal-------------------56)Vector?
    11)Vanddelor--------34)snbrd4evr--------------57)dipp
    12)mlgez------------35)Steve in Minnesota-----58)tbone
    13)AWDimprezaL-----36)Aspitfire---------------59)idget
    14)Adam------------37)Carl--------------------60)tux121
    15)Fleck+1----------38)wage0052+1-----------61)blak04wrx
    16)02BluBru+1-------39)inappropriateDave------62)1meanrex
    17)AWD_PWNZ------40)Shorty5198------------63)Trborex
    18)Shibbs-----------41)Se7enrex--------------64)TchainT+2
    19)Sapalas+1-------42)Skarecrow+1-----------65)kongzilla
    20)Somethingswrong43)Chukee R--------------66)LeiboSTi
    21)Tangledupinblu---44)gregoryjames----------67)Slo-wrx
    22)Dream-----------45)John16v---------------68)techy101
    23)Audious----------46)Tv06WRX-------------69)ruberdukwrx

Date: June 23rd, 2007

Time:8 to 9am-Meet and departure from Wal-Mart? Inver Grove Heights, MN. Departure location subject to change.
    ----12pm-Arrival in La Crosse, WI.
    -----1pm-Rooster Andy's Catering(Burgers/brats,baked beans,potato salad.) You know...summer cookout style!
    -----3pm-Group Photos at the Pavillion by the river(Copeland Pavillion)
    -----?pm-Departure for the Twin Cities...thinking around 4 or 5.
    **Event T-Shirts may be a possibility depending on group interest!!! Keep updated! Thanks...Josh

*Added....drive description(Thanks to pksublime!)*
    Squeezed between the Mississippi River and towering, forested bluffs, the Great River Road passes through handsome nineteenth century river towns, sleepy villages, and natural areas rich in wildlife. The 107-mile segment from Red Wing to La Crescent offers two optional excursions off US 61: one loops through lush meadows and wetlands in the Mississippi’s floodplain, the other scales the bluffs, offering breathtaking views of the river valley and hillside apple orchards. Special attractions: Strolling, dining, and antique shopping in the historic towns of Red Wing, Lake City, Wabasha, and Winona; Frontenac, a village where little has changed since the 1880s; hiking and birdwatching at Frontenac and O. L. Kipp State Parks; biking on county roads and the Cannon Valley Trail; bald eagle watching at Read’s Landing; spectacular views along the shore of Lake Pepin and from the blufftops on Apple Blossom Drive. This eTrail is a complete description of a scenic drive with a route map and information on the best travel seasons, interesting sites, recreation opportunities, camping locations, and much more.

**We've hit 67! Only 3 hundred and some change to go!!!**hahaha!
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/COPELAND PAVILLION!\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

2. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

It'd be great to have a large meet. My first impression is that it might be difficult to do a bbq and 5 hours of driving in the same day...

Would it be possible to have an early lunch bbq close to the metro area, and then a mass cruise after that? There could be the option of just doing the mass-cruise-for-the-video part, or continuing on the longer fun run to la crosse.

Free food definitely brings out the crowds... so maybe we can do a pot-luck, would mnsubaru be willing to pay for part of it and accept donations? Maybe a ton of hot dogs and pop. And members can brings the extras, chips, beans, etc.. That way anyone who shows up will get something to eat.

3. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

MN meet in WI????????

4. chokin

chokin Well-Known Member

im in

5. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

Erm, yeah, why WI ? If we're going to make a drive like that, why not head up to BIR ? The locals up there apparently like the car crowd, and we could probably find a local BBQ place that would cater for a modest sum. Heck, call Phil at the Square Peg Diner and see if he can bring his mate's Big Effing Pig Roaster up there for the day.

Stuart.

6. tangledupinblu

Come on phiLL, you're killing me!!J/k;) The drive down would be through MN!!haha...The reason for this idea is hwy61 south. It is an amazing drive to La Crosse if you can appreciate the bluffs/river views/curvy roads!:yumyum: It's a 2 to 2 1/2hr. drive depending on your speed, which would be ideal for a day trip. I'm sure we could get something set up in La Crescent,MN. which is right across the bridge from La Crosse if it means that much to everyone. But I know that La Crosse has some beautiful parks and areas for photo ops! And btw phiLL, was hoping you might want to shoot some video!:)

7. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

It's the journey, not the destination... the drive to LaCrosse is a lot more scenic.

Now if someone wanted to organize a lapping event so that there was a reason to drive to BIR, that is another matter....

8. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

+1

this event either way will be fun. especially if there is a pig roaster!

9. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I had to ask,

no on the video, I don't think that it's street legal. lol

10. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

Maybe these guys could give us a few pointers... http://www.slowpokes.org/

Stuart.

11. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

its called a CLUB event....

kinda like saying mnsubaru ice races and then everyone calls it the woot ice race, and no one races....

12. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Geez...Josh just moved here and asking what to do around MN parts and now he is doing an event! What is the world coming too...haha...Bump...Hopefully if I'm still in business in the next 2-3 months I'll do a BBQ at the store, I'll have some food and drinks, but of course, I'm not feeding the whole army, but feel free to bring your own and you can use the grill and I'll provide the Ice for drinks.

13. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

The Northstar chapter of BMW CCA does events up there. Why not tag along with them? Then you don't need to worry about insurance and legal issues.

14. w_o_t_boy

w_o_t_boy Well-Known Member

You should camp out and get drunk if you're going to bother going to LaCrosse. That town has like more bars in a two square block area than any other in the world or something like that.

15. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

I am planning on having a large BBQ or something on May 19th that everyone will be invited to. Just a heads up. I am already talking to food people.

This will be free food and I am still debating on beer and stuff yet.

16. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

I would be down for a big event/drive

17. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

What's the occasion??? Getting a 2nd wife? If so, I'll bring Hmong Sausages...

18. TSTRBOY2004

me too.....

19. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Because I want to and I am bringing home the degree, finally!!:)

20. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

is that what they call it?

21. TSTRBOY2004

does that mena You, FOng and Fuji....??
    Havent you been told that people like to fill their mouths not pick their teeth!!:biggrin:

22. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Mine will be kid friendly. That is why I am still debating beer and stuff. Thinking of getting inflating bouncing castle and/or slide think for the kids.

23. TSTRBOY2004

I will be there... leave the kids at home so I get to play on the castle myself.. ha ha ha

24. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

That's just the pubix hair that u use for floss'in...after u eat our Sausages...

25. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

sounds like a plan.. 20 might be a little much for some burgers on pop. 10 per person seems like all that would be needed.

26. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Sounds like fun. I've been on a few of the Falls Tours put on by the Volksport crew that were run on roads down that way. I still have the GPS log for one of them that ran along the Cannon River (very nice twisties) and then across the river and through the alphabet roads in WI. A real hoot! The VW guys were able to get event t-shirts made. RedBull also stopped by with a themed truck and free drinks and VW businesses donated stuff for a charity raffle at the picnic (like service time, oil changes, clear bra, car parts, etc).

Isn't Red Bull one of Travis' sponsors?

27. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Crap, right on the Gilbert Open House! bummer....

I'd be interested in a big event, but it'll depend on timing....

28. TSTRBOY2004

it would be if people werent such sissies with all their bitchin and club splitting crap... (remember I aint involved on either side, they both have issues)

CLUB is a group of enthusiasts that get together for a like minded event... and to fellowship and have fun getting to know each other not seclude and have their own high school girls clubs in the same event...

I for one cant wait till this forum actually turns into a CAR CLUB!! You know where they have regular members type meetings, ALL the kids crap stops, Maturity comes in, regular get togethers for fun events, etc etc... nto just piss up parties...

I have tried twice now to host an INSTALL night to have some fun, get to know people, but alas everyone goes free for all and the night goes to crap, chaos ensumes, and people raise their hands...

so what you want as a club and what I want as a club must be 2 different things Phi11, if you have nothing to constructively encourage growth other than 1 sentence tongue in cheek comments... which is unfortunate cause you truly seemed like a great guy when I met you up North... I hope I am mistaking your comments....

kutos for Josh, who is new to the club trying to actively do something more than soem people on here have done in a long time... I hope that it doesnt end up like the rest.... (best smiley I had for handraising)
    View attachment 2827

found some stupid pics of hand raisers though
    View attachment 2828

View attachment 2829

View attachment 2830

29. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

^^^^ Well put Nathan.

As for doing the event, we have asked others to step up and hold/host a event. Some of us are getting tires of always having to do or plan the events. Big thanks to Josh for wanting to put this event together.

As for club money involved, I would guess that there will be something that we can put together. We could also try to maybe get some event t-shirts made and such, but again that will cost money. We will need to decide on a place and a date, and once that gets done we will then need a hand count. If event shirts are to be made, we will need a design and color selections to be made. There is alot of work involved to get this going.

I am in, and once the club gets a few things in place I will be able to help out if needed.

Russ

30. TSTRBOY2004

and I am open to hosting more 'CLUB' events at my shop in the future, but with direction and organisation... ie: input from the leadership

so I too am in (time permitting) but with enough forewarning I would say YES.. and BE THERE!! I like to be a man of my word.. if I say I am gonna do something and make a commitment I make it!! its called INTEGRITY!!

31. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Depending on the Day...I would try to make it...Sunday would be best for me, but again it may not work for others...

32. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

++

I agree, I think it'll be great if we can start to get our events more organized and turn this into a real club. I'm always impressed by the events that the BMW and Audi clubs can put together.

So let's try to organize this event and see what we can do. We need to get input from everyone, but we also need to make decisions at some point. Should we try to get people lined up to take responsibility for some of the following?
    - food
    - finding a location, permission, etc
    - handling money, registration?
    - sponors, door prizes, t-shirts, etc?
    - photo/video person

Anyone have ideas? And Josh, this is your event, so it's your decision if you want to let other people in on the planning.

33. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

+1...Josh u got alot on yoru plate now!...Run with it...Need any help let us know...
    Just don't get Dizmal (Matt) involved...he may cause another curb rash on the hwy...Actually I don't want to discriminate...Someone just bring a spare full size Rim/Tire just in case, so Matt can go.

34. tangledupinblu

:biggrin:
    I am really just trying to get everyone together that would like to participate in something like this. I met alot of cool people at the ice races and thought that a larger meet would be even more fun. And I am for some reason compelled to put together a video in some way,shape, or form....can't let the aussies have all the fun! I don't know if we can get together as many cars as they do, but I know I want to try!!;) There are 300 and sum ACTIVE members on this board...why can't we get at least 1/3 of us together for one event!?

That just looks like too much fun...and all it takes is taking the day off and participating! If we get a date set for a couple of months down the road, we should be able to insure that we have that day off. But if some people have weddings/funerals/barmitzfas...it is understandable, but if you can come, you should!!

Sorry if $20 sounded a little steep, I haven't made up an expense list yet, so I don't know how much it would really be per person. But I guessed on the high end!

I am definitely going to need help if we get the numbers I would like to see!! So any volunteers could let me know if they would like to help! Thanks.
    So thanks for the comments thus far...keep 'em coming!

35. TSTRBOY2004

I could offer a video camera, maybe a x-over pipe for a prize (2.0)....

I think we just organise it.... we will get lots of hand raisers.. wont avoid that... but I have found the true members (not counting those who have prior comittments) will ALWAYS make a show...

meh... Organise it.. lets do it.. if we get 2 cars, its a start... I think if we get 20 commitments, we could get some stickers made up or a shirt / hat for the event... (minimum order for a shirt??)

They had the meeting end of last year.. lets see the fruit of that night (which I missed) and get this CLUB rolling in the right direction... whether its 10 consistant members or 100... JUST DO IT!!!

36. shorty5198

shorty5198 New Member

me three

37. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Let's set a Date, Time, & Meeting Spot...I'mma gonna try to make this one

38. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

When and if you start a video I have footage from ice races and dyno pulls for you if you want it.

39. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

holy crap i checked at lunch and saw this and ran out of time to post...this grew fast. lol. i would be in depending on dates adn times

40. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'd love to go....but I'm planning on only being in the cities to work on my car. so if my car runs, I'll be like 5 hours away, and if I'm in the cities....my car will be in pieces.

but if it's the right time of year (maybe the middle of june some time) I might be able to get it done, and then stay in town until the event.

41. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i think maybe the weekend before the 4th would be good. its warm and most people should be in town

also im down for helping

42. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

^BTW i know its a long ways away but im just trying to plan as far ahead as possible

43. tangledupinblu

So here is what I have so far...nothing is set in stone!!...yet;)

2007 MNSubaru "La Crosse Cruise" Spring Event

Date:May 26th, June 2nd?

Time: 9am. Saturday morning(group departure) from Maplewood, MN.
    12pm. Lunch(bbq)in La Crosse, WI.
    2pm. Group photos.
    3pm. Departure to Mn.

So it's not much yet...but it's a foundation! I have contacted AWD_PWNZ, and he knows of some spots down there.

So, to make sure that the club and the rest of us don't throw away our hard earned money, we should probably do some sort of pre-registry with paypal or something! It would suck if you paid the $10 and your plans changed and you were out the $10. But at the same time, if we buy enough food for 100 people and only 20 show up it is not only wasteful, but unnecessary for those putting there time into it. NO HANDRAISING:biggrin: We would need an accurate head count to organize the food and drinks!

So let me have it! What are your thoughts!?

Oh, and here is one picture of the parking lot at the park in La Crosse! Those cars belong to a local club in La Crosse. Depending on how many people we get to go, this may be the location! \/\/\/\/\/:eek3:

44. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

I'd love to go too. Maybe the 507 crew could meet you guys in Lake city or Wabasha if any others want to go. Otherwise it's straight down HWY 14 to Winona for us.

Also would you like to set a deadline for handraising, er sign-up?

BTW, great work. This is why Josh's rule.

-Josh

45. tangledupinblu

I don't know when on the deposits!? If you want to call it that. And as far as deadline for sign-up, er handraising, it will probably be a week or two before the event after the "official" date is posted!

I think it would be best if you guys meet up with us during the drive...or maybe if you have video capabilities, you would be down to set up a tri-pod and tape the group coming through!? I definitely want to put together a video for the club, and this is why we want "all hands on deck!" The bigger, the better!