2010 Forester - possible electrical gremlins.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Krazylegz1485, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Got a message from the wife yesterday saying a friend needed help with her car. Bear with me as it's like playing the old school game of telephone here... Haha.

"Friend has a 2010 forester. It died the other day. They cleaned the battery, and it worked. She went to leave and it starts fine, but she doesn't have any lights on the dash. When she brakes, all the lights start flashing. Wouldn't read a code....
    Any ideas?"

I sent my multimeter with her to work today to check the battery and alternator voltages. She said the alternator seems to be working. I asked if it was still doing the thing and she said:

"Yes. It was fine and we drove it around the lot. As soon as she pulled into a spot and hit the brakes, it shakes a little, and the headlights turn off."

She sent me a video of them driving in the parking lot and you can see when she presses the brake pedal the DRL's shut off, and then come back on when she lets off the brakes again. Obviously there's something weird going on. My suggestions prior to this were to clean the grounds and check the voltages. Seems like everything obvious is okay.

Thoughts?

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

So to make sure I got this right the disco show only happens when the brake pedal is depressed?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Bad ground or intermittent short.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Yep. And now the driver is depressed as a result.

5. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

but only depressed when the brake pedal is depressed...hmmmm

Krazylegz1485 and pinjasaur like this.
  6. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

It's a codependent relationship.

7. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Like eluded to by Vector. Likely an intermittent short or bad ground. I would start with inspecting any sensors/wiring around the area of the depressing pedal.

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone "fixed" anything recently? Like replacing a tail or stop lamp with an incorrect one that has a different number of conductors on the base?