2012 BIR Driving School

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Musashi, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Are you coming up next weekend with us?

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Going to BIR on the 20th, come one come all! :byebye:

3. Musashi

Featured at todays event....

[​IMG]

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

What times did the Prius with the canoe run?

Musashi and ofspunk7 like this.
  5. Musashi

[​IMG]

6. Musashi

Unofficially 1:06 with a Trackmaster app downloaded from the Droid app store.

7. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

Goint to try and get the Miata out on Aug 6th for the short course. It's pretty set up for it now.
    15x8 225 NT01's, roll bar, hawk dtc-60, tein street advance coilovers.
    I had a blast doing the double 7 chump car race up there a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Musashi likes this.
  8. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I will be up on 8/27 and 10/6... I need more power in the RS!

9. Musashi

Maybe I'll see you in Oct sir. ;)

10. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I will be at BIR on 8/27.

11. KA-T_240

Musashi, do you have any recommendations for tire pressures and stuff like that for those coming to the events? I have 245/45/17 Star Specs on my stock '12 wrx wheels. Just looking to have as much stuff "set" as possible before I go to the track.

12. Musashi

Great question, if you're using a street car then start with factory psi. You'll want to get to know the car as is on the track. After observing the car and your driving for a multiple laps with consistent driving, then do a through inspection of your tires, only then you should make adjustments to your tire pressures. You can get air at the tech barn and the guys there are always willing to help.

The general rule is start higher then bleed +/-5psi. Please use some common sense when starting out with higher psi. Your car is usually safer with more air then with less. Once you think you've found a good setting then make changes in +/-2psi. Then +/- 1psi to fine tune as needed.

You'll want to adapt to the conditions and make tire pressure changes based on how the tires are wearing and how you're driving. And always check your lug nuts and retorque after each session.

13. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Duplicate due to some server isssue...

14. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Link to some of my driving earlier this week:

http://www.mytrackmaster.com/#Sessi...FzdGVychsLEgRVc2VyGPfUHQwLEgdTZXNzaW9uGImhAgw
    Some of the videos were corrupt and as you can see, it was a bumpy ride in the car. ;) Sorry about the sound, the Trackmaster app added marker 'beeps' that were obnoxiously loud. Need to figure that out. Considering the videos were taken with my phone (Moto Atrix), I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I was unable to get video at my last event, so it was cool to see it in action. Need to get an external GPS, though, as the 1Hz sample rate is too low while traveling at speed.

Ran a best of 1:57.5 in the RS. I was pretty happy with that time, but obviously there is room for improvement... I haven't really started to drive it at the level it is capable of, still more tire to use. I did, however, start to flat-foot turn 2 early in the day, something I haven't done in the past. Granted the little engine that could would only muster a top speed of 108mph!

Overall, it was quite a good day. Temps were in the low/mid 80s and sun all day. As usual, a few casualties, but I was not one of them for once. 2 blown up Camaros, a Z4M and Mustang Boss with no brake pads, an Evo with flat tires (from an off). Based on the car count in the later sessions, there may have been others as well.

Now, time to get a new windshield (18" crack that was 6" before the event :eek: )...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Musashi likes this.
  15. Musashi

Very nice driving and thanks for sharing. The Blue Evo was definitely holding you back. :smoke:

That was a great fast lap. With your current setup and driving by just making some adjusting to the lines I can see you hitting 1:55. There are some sections on the course that is very challenging but once you learn the right way to go thru it, you can make up some serious time.

Are you running different gears on the RS? :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  16. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Yes, I have always had issues with Turn 6 (4th or 3rd? hit the apex...) and the 7-8-9 complex is something I haven't yet figured out (Carousel is ok, but I could carry more speed into it, and that is where I am struggling). Actually, the fast lap had a bad T6 and a less than optimal line through the Carousel, I think I was just being more aggressive.

Stock gearbox. Big tires do make it a bit taller, though. The speedo is pretty much dead on now, clearly due to the increased circumference.

Another try in Oct... :)

17. KA-T_240

I believe I met you up at BIR on Monday. I was the owner of the Blue WRX that was next to you in the pits.

18. Musashi

Believe it or not those lines are same ones the school wants us to teach our students. I plan to be there in Oct but do not plan on being on the clock. Hope to see you there sir.

19. Musashi

So besides the brakes how goes the tire pressures lol

20. KA-T_240

The day went great, was an expensive day in the brakes departments lol, woulda stopped sooner but had no signs that my pads were gone, then I pulled off the track and tapped them once and went ummmm whats happened to my brakes. Kept my tire pressures between 34-35psi, tires look to have worn pretty good... maybe a lil extra on the front outsides. Car seemed to under-steer turn 13 really bad tho, not sure if camber, dampening, or sway bar setup would be the best to help.

I know I have major room to improve, first event since I believe this time in 2008 in my old 240. Gotta keep building my confidence. Some sort of a lap-timer app/or device would be great to have for my next time.

21. Musashi

Glad to hear you had a great time and made it back safely.

It's very common for people to experience excessive understeer at T13 as that's exactly how it was intended. But a little patience will go a very long way in this turn.

I must have given at least +10 rides at the MAP event 2 hot laps per person in a friends 2011 WRX in two sessions with short pit stops. I did manage to get the rotors to start the pads on fire but never did cook the brakes while on the track. As they faded I just incorporated more engine braking and adjusted my entry speeds accordingly. Stock pads are no fun but a great tool for learning.

22. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, that was me. :) Sorry to hear about the brakes. That, fortunately, hasn't been an issue for me (plenty of others issues to watch though).

23. Musashi

Alright ladies and gentlmen we are officially down to the last two BIR schools Sept 28 (both courses) and Oct 6th (2.5 mile). I plan to be at the Oct 6th event to do some end of season testing on a few cars before we start tearing into it for the winter months so we can get an early start in 2013.04

Oct 6th is on a Sat and we are expecting another nice Indian summer just like last year. I am currently NOT planning on instructing that day as I'll have a handful of cars to test and sort out. Everyone is welcome to come out and watch the nice cars go around the track and catch rides. See you at the track! :coffee:

24. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

I'll be there in the my integra

Musashi likes this.
  25. Musashi

Awesome, I like GS-R's, we'll have one of our own there, hope it can keep up.

26. StatGSR

Nice! I'm excited to see how the Hankook RS3s do at BIR, they rocked at MAM a few weeks back, and since I'm feeling a little more confident about my car and skill I think it should be a good way to end the year.

27. Musashi

See you cat's tomorrow!!! I'll be driving the Black SUV, everyone's welcome to climb a board lol

28. kruthles

kruthles Well-Known Member

That thing is still alive? :eek:

StatGSR likes this.
  29. StatGSR

^ i could say the same thing about yourself! but yes its more or less alive 208K on it now, had a rough day at BIR though, below is my "Fails" video from the 6th. I told Chong i would post this, just took me a while to get it on the interweb. please enjoy my miss fortune!

Here is the damage i did to the tire...
    [​IMG]

BTW, congrats on getting hitched Kev!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Musashi likes this.
  30. Musashi

I really enjoy having you at the track, it's always nice to have someone who's as cheerful as you even when things aren't going quite as well as they can be expected. I really appreciate you sharing this and I give you major respect and props for your willingness to share your experience despite the outcome. This is a reality in our sport.

I look forward to seeing you at more events next season. Next time just let me know if you'd like me in the passenger seat. Oh and we have the footage of your major cloud burnout :coffee:

Many thanks,

Cheech

31. StatGSR

Thanks Cheech! I would love to get you in the passenger seat again. I did have a rough year but i know that's part of it, and i have no desire to "sort of" push myself while driving so i rather make the mistakes and learn from it then never get to that point. I will post up one of my "good" sessions when i get the chance. Looking forward to some changes in the car and and a better year at the track next spring!

Also, i would love to see the cloud i made if you can get the footage hosted!

32. Musashi

I'll see what I can do ;)

33. StatGSR

Here's video from one of my good sessions.

Musashi likes this.
  34. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Winter driving school returning this year?

Musashi likes this.
  35. Musashi

Good question and thanks for asking. BIR currently does not host any winter schools. But BMW does and I'll keep you posted when those dates come out. Tentatively the first school will more then likely be in February 2013. ;)

36. Musashi

Great driving StatGSR mania! ;)

37. TickTack

TickTack Well-Known Member

Looking forward to putting on my big boy pants and making it to a few of these next summer. Will be looking for all the instruction I can get, as I found it to be very, very helpful with autox. Gonna have to turn down the boost, Nuke!

ofspunk7 likes this.
  38. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Um...you know you're on low boost setting right now, right? Lol yeah.......
    We're not done yet ;)

ofspunk7 likes this.