2012 North Star BMW Events

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Musashi, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

2012 North Star BMW Events

www.northstarbmw.org
    www.streetsurvival.org

Street Survival - Teens 15 w/permit - 21yrs
    **Full course at DCTC** This program is designed to enhance the skills of the highest fatality age group of drivers, the skills learned from this program is above the standard requirement from the state. And most of all it's a lot of fun for both teens and parents.
    $75 (no membership required)

Sat Jan 21st - Winter School
    Sat Jul 28th - Summer School

Advance Car Control - Full course at DCTC
    $100 plus membership - Any level of skilled driver can participate, but is recommended new drivers (just received a license) should sign up for the Teen program first. This course is designed to challenge all your senses on a controlled environment with multiple exercises to enhance your competence and improve your chances of avoiding an accident.

This program will help setup you up for our High Speed event at BIR. Also this is a great insight on what you'll need if you're considering competition schools to get into Club Racing. The fundaments you learn here will be an eye openers.

Sat Feb 4th - Winter School
    Sat Apr 21st - Spring School
    Sat Aug 11th - Summer School

High Speed School - Brainerd Raceway
    **Prices have not been released.** - plus membership
    *We have sponsored track side assistance should you have an issue.*

June 1-3 on 2.5 mile Competition Course (short track)

June 1st - Advance Students and Instructors (passing is allowed throughout the course w/a point by)
    -Instructor Canidate Development Course-BMW sets the standard when it comes to Instructor program. It's a great program so if you're seasoned we're always looking for a few more great instructors.

June 2-3
    High Performance Driving School
    **Each student is paired with an experienced Instructor, sign offs are available for advance students**

This is where you can really stretch out the legs of your car. You'll have a competent Instructor coaching you every step of the way regardless of your skill level. They will cater to your goals for the weekend and provide you with their experience to help you have fun and stay safe.

**Spoiler News-BMW Octoberfest National Event will be helped on Sept 17-23 at Mid-Ohio.**

Membership info:
    https://myaccount.bmwcca.org/PortalTools/NewUser/EmailCheck.cfm

I wanted to personally welcome everyone on the forum and anyone outside the forum that you may know that would be interested in our events to come and join us as a paying Participant or just to visit our events. There's no admission fee and we're always happy to entertain our guests. I've been Instructing with BMW for over 8yrs and I believe we have one of the best program in the area. You do not need to own a BMW to become a member or to participate. And the club has a great comradery towards everyone.

I guarantee you'll have fun as I'll personally make it so and I'll challenge you only if you ask me to. ;)

[​IMG]

2. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Price for advanced car control course?

3. Musashi

Sorry Pal I am still editing but will be up soon. Thanks for your patience.

4. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

np, I need to get to one of these.

5. Musashi

Ok, sorry for the multiple updates there. Feel free to ask me any questions other them where I was born. I promise I am an American Citizen no matter what Fox News has to say about me. lol

6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I've read the info on the street survival. Do you know first hand what most teens think of this course upon completion? Is it an all day course? Thanks

7. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to wearing down more tires.

IF you have not done this before it is a great way to gain a better understanding of your car, get some good seat time and have and educated person help you push yourself / car / technique. I did BIR this past fall, I plan on doing a few of these in 2012.

8. Musashi

Great question:
    For me the Teen program is the most rewarding to work with. Watching their timid driving in the morning blossom into confident young drivers all in one day is a treat. I've had students refuse to do the slalom or take tight radius turns in fear of rolling their cars over in the morning only to scream for more in the afternoon. I don't want to glamorize this, but the parents who come to help volunteer for the day are amazed at how much their kids have improved, helping to give them a peace of mind. Some bring their kids back for another round because they had so much fun and after going thru it once they now have another criteria for their kids to work on with the instructor. This is my way of giving back to the community so I take it very seriously as they're the same people I'll be sharing the roads with and I will cater to how my students learn.

Our program is designed to have classroom and track session back to back. Switching between the two every 25 mins. We've found that this works the best, it allows the Classroom Instructor to introduce idea's then have them try it out on the course and then come back for the next lesson and analyse as they go throughout the day. It's much easier to retain and practice what you've learned this way. Thanks for the question.

9. Musashi

The differences between the DCTC and BIR is the speed and how technical the course is. How does this translate? Well if you're looking for a introduction for your old or new car DCTC is a great place to start. The course is quite technical offering less speed but don't let the fool you, that just means you can't go as fast in a straight line but there's plenty of speed and G forces thru the turns. This course can be as technical as you want it to. I personally like DCTC over BIR when we're talking about developing a basic foundation into Car Control. You can be a lot more created on this course and not worry about injury. You can exceed your limits and your cars thresholds a lot quicker and see it coming. And if your an advance driver well that's where the next level of fun begins. I can teach you some Ken Block stuff. :D

The training you receive at DCTC will lead you up to BIR as you'll really rely on the basics to really drive well on the high speed course. Sounds counter intuitive but it's true. Majority of the skills I depend on when I'm going really fast at BIR is the basics. If anyone has ever ridden with me you can contest to this, you can see just how little work I do behind the wheel.

BIR is an amazing place to really see how well your car can handle the speeds as a whole package. It will test your SAT skills and make you wonder if you should've picked options C. I like them both for different reasons and I'm sure you will to.

DCTC = Agility course
    BIR = Balanced course

10. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I would really like to attend some of these events this year. I had a lot of fun at BIR last summer, but I know my driving could be greatly improved with some proper instruction.

Musashi likes this.
  11. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Ever since Chong (Musashi) and I became friends, I've attended a lot of the DCTC events and a few BIR. The DCTC are ALWAYS fun and I suggest to many (those that I've tuned should know when I recommend the DCTC events) to give it a shot. It's not too far from the cities (Down 52 close to Rosemount) and worth the experience. Those who would like to learn and gain some skills and experience should sign up and take advantage of these. Noob or advance, go for it.

Bonus, you might just get Musashi as your instructor ;)

ofspunk7 likes this.
  12. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Any Sunday school classes??

13. Musashi

There are currently no events scheduled at DCTC for Sunday's, having the events on Saturday will allow you an opportunity to go make your confessions on Sunday.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  14. Musashi

Well I don't know if that's necessarily a bonus :devil:

If you drive a Subaru or an AWD it's very likely you'll end up with this SOB. :frantic:

Thanks for providing your experience.

15. silver03

I'm signing the kid up! 5spd awd legacy wagon...

Musashi likes this.
  16. Musashi

Awesome and thanks. Sometimes it's much easier to have your child work with a stranger rather then with yourself, it just sometimes work out better that way. I've been personally using these as BDay gift to my siblings and it's worked out well.

17. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

I really want to get onto that DCTC track. In either my Subaru or BMW, doesn't matter. I've heard good things about that track. Sounds like fun!

18. Musashi

You may bring both to DCTC just inform the club when you register and they'll pair you up correctly to accommodate your needs.

19. silver03

FYI, for those who sign up, I learned (or missed) that I needed to check a club at the bottom of the app page in order for my application to proceed. I checked the BMW club...it worked and we are registered!

Musashi likes this.
  20. Musashi

One thing I really like about working with the BMW School is I have the option to custom my instructing style to suit my students way of learning, but that's only if I have a serious student who really wants to learn how to drive their car. So we're at a buffet and you see so many delicious foods to choose from but I don't expect you to manage to eat it all. So lets just start with giving you what you can handle first. ;)

21. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

I WILL be doing this...for sure

Musashi likes this.
  22. Musashi

I'm counting on it, there's still much to do with your car and the driver!

23. Musashi

Over the years I've been providing some feed back verbally and in write ups on the various cars I've had the privilege of driving at our events. It's something I've enjoyed doing and will continue to do. So if you're ever interested in a personal review of your current setup I'd be happy to take it thru the ropes and assist you with where I think the car could use some improvements and save you from spending a few extra dollars which you may never have needed had you not had an experienced driver give you some valuable feed back.

Below is a recent write up from this season.:

http://www.mnsubaru.com/threads/fantastic-five-at-bir-110912.36954/

24. Musashi

I just added a photo of the course map, this is an elevated course. Enjoy!

25. arsenal741

arsenal741 Member

I'm signed up for the Advance Car Control - Full course at DCTC. Should be a good time!

Musashi likes this.
  26. Musashi

Oh yes indeed it will. Thanks for signing up. I'm praying for snow!!!

Wondering if we could make this a Sticky!!! Many thanks!!!

27. Musashi

I've signed up for Jan 21 & Feb 4th. Now who do I go talk to about ordering lot's of snow!!!

28. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

You guys and or gals, will like this track. This road course will help you harness your driving skills, as it has helped me. If I bagged the funds. I might see you guys out on the road course.

29. Musashi

30. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

I was hoping Laguna Seca Raceway but I guess Mid-Ohio will do too.

31. Musashi

It's likely going to happen very soon, maybe even 2013!

32. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

I added these dates to the MNSubaru calendar.

Musashi likes this.
  33. Musashi

Thank you sir!

34. silver03

So, my 17 year old took the "green goblin" (94 subie wagon) to this yesterday and had the time of his young life! Learned words like "apex" and "understeer" and "countersteer" and all in all could not stop talking about what a tremendous experience it was. He never did get the name of his instructor, (" a guy with a beard") but said he was fabulous. Thanks for putting this on.

Musashi likes this.
  35. Musashi

Thanks for signing him up and sharing your experience, that's what we like to hear. Feel free to sign him up for the Spring school if he's interested.

36. Musashi

It's just a little over a month before the next Advance Car Control - Full course at DCTC Sat Apr 21st - Spring School. I know I've spoken to a few people who have expressed some interested in working with me at this event to help sort out a few things behind the wheel to help them swing into bigger and better things. Seats are limited and I can only manage two students at this event. We have a great staff of experienced Instructors at your disposal. Let me know if you have any questions so we can have lots of fun come track day.

I'll be bringing out the EVO X to get a baseline at DCTC straight and sideways and then another baseline at BIR before making any type's of modifications. Everyone is welcome to stop by and checkout any of our events. Ride alongs will be dependent upon availability with an Instructor. :angel:

"I can't wait!"

37. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I'd like to go to this if I can.

Musashi likes this.
  38. Musashi

Well of course you can, just show me a few Benjamin's silly ;)

But seriously come out as a student or a friend, you won't want to miss this. :frantic:

39. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Do I need to be a member to do this event? Can other cars (non BMW) come and play? I am thinking regestering for this.

40. Musashi

That's a great question, you DO NOT have to own or have any friends or family who owns one to participate or join the club. BMW CCA is the largest car club in the US. They're a non profit organization in order to protect you and the club its a requirement to become a member in order to participate in all our driving events.

I received a 5% discount on my auto insurance and there are many other benefits that go along with your membership.
    If you're looking to hone new skills or refine old ones dctc offers one of the best facilities to do it. Bmw sets the standards when to comes to high performance driving school programs.

Feel free to ask any additional questions. Hope to see you out there.

41. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I'll do the advanced car control class at DCTC, especially since I'm missing the first 3 autox events :banghead:

Anyway, will that class be mainly one on one instruction?

42. Musashi

The amount of seat time you'll get at one of our schools should suffice lol. Yes you'll be assigned a personal Instructor for the day. Looking forward to seeing your new setup at the event.

43. 03subyR

I was planning doing it too, will register when I see weather forcast.

44. Musashi

You make funny joke lol DCTC is one of my most favorite places to drive and train in poor weather. Not only is it one of the safest but also the funnest ;?) Ever scene a Subaru drift? Wanna experience it for yourself? Hope to see you out there.

45. 03subyR

Only if you be my instructor ;)