2013 sti high af learn on idle.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Mnelson, May 4, 2017.

1. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

So I'm still troubleshooting this issue but I want to bounce it off of you guys while I'm at it.

Car: 2013 sti

Mods: Catless turbo back, ID1000, cobb fpr kit, fuel pump, everything else is stock. Currently on e74. Stock plugs, probably original. Grimmspeed ebcs. And iag aos street.

Problem: Air fuel learn on the ap is 10% during idle. It's about that high when the engine is in vacuum while cruising. It is oscillating a lot at 0 boost. I noticed wot is a little richer than expected, but I was playing with my fuel map in the last few revisions, so I don't know if it's related to a leak or my changes.

This morning, I shot engine starter around the intake track to see if I could hear the idle come up. Didn't hear anything. In retrospect, I should have data logged af correction, which I'll do tonight.

I don't have a intake pressure tested but Im sure I can get one. Just thought I'd start with what I have.

More info:

Wasn't always this high but I don't have an exact day when it got this bad. I put a K and N typhoon intake on but didn't like the noise so I went back to stock and I don't remember seeing weird af learn when I put it back in.

I also put the fpr reference on the bpv vacuum line and a boost gauge on the old fpr reference location. The gauge didn't feel like it holds onto that nipple well, but I don't see oscillation on the gauge during idle.

I think I first noticed it when I recently got a full tank of e80. My first assumption was I tuned the injector scale wrong but I went back and did my math and everything looked right. I filled a second tank to e74 and the af learn stayed around 10%. Reset ecu and flashed a few miner changes in accesstuner with the same results.

Fuel pressure sensor error (target 43.7?) wasn't that far from 0 so I don't think its related to fuel delivery.

I checked the intake fittings and they seem tight. Tonight I'll refit them.

For the tuners:

In a few revisions of my tune, I wanted to tackle the fpr and I though I did this (I thought) successfully by multiplying the maf load compensation table by 20% and flattened/zeroed out the spaces around the higher values. Running that map this morning didn't change idle and I didn't drive long enough to tell its impact on cruise. There were other changes but I'd have to look. I made some other map changes and wouldn't mind talking about what I did if you message me.

Data logs show a steady afr but the correction tends to bounce around more than I'd like.

I'd really like to learn more from a tuner if anyone's willing to teach :)

2. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Annnd.. Solved the rich at wot issue.

[​IMG]

Nommnom...

Still don't know why af learns are all over the place... Unfortunately today got real worse, real fast when this happened. (totally unrelated to the intake issue).. [​IMG]

Update: Went to a shop that a friend works at and we tossed a smoke tester on the intake. I found smoke coming from the front of the TGV valve on the driver side... My guess is that there may be issues with those valves, but I dont know why it running ok until now.

If this is it, it looks like ill have to do a TGV delete.

Last edited: May 5, 2017