2015 Subaru WRX STI: This Is It

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ofspunk7, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

For the record I like the cars. I was disliking the post above mine.

2. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

It appears to be the wing from the GR Sedan.

3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Correct, which was already embarrassingly big.

4. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

The best part about all of this is, the majority of the people hating on this thing will own one at some point.

spudd, Cotts612, TMF and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Because we are a self-loathing bunch of people who hate change.
    "What the hell did subaru do?!?! That pig nose abomination is the ugliest car I have seen in my life"
    -everyone in 2006
    <------------ Case in point

BroCo, TMF and SCIFIDELITY like this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged! I'm pretty sure that every year, I think that the new WRX is hideous (most notably the 08)...and look at me now.

Although I didn't give in to the Subaru GD chassis...saabaru's FTW!

7. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

No, you are correct. It is probably for the JDM rear fog lamp. My buddy has one on his 11 STi Sedan. Talk about annoying.

8. KA-T_240

Wing looks close to the 11+ STi sedan wing, but IMO, it looks larger/more aggressive.

9. KA-T_240

In other news:

2015 STI Race car :)

spudd and Nhibbs like this.
  10. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

11. Kosh

Kosh Well-Known Member

2001 called and wants their spoiler back... I hate the big wing, had a GD, and couldn't stand all the stupid questions and attention from it. Subaru, please make a wagon version.

Also I haven't seen this discussed too much, but after owning a MINI and spending way too much time at the dealer, I am not touching a DI engine until it proves itself. Between high pressure fuel pumps ($$$$) and intake valve coating issues, it is not a happy place after warranty (or even during).

Does anyone know if they are adding an extra intake injector to clean the valves or has there been any advancement in high pressure pumps for gasoline that last? I know diesel has the pump figured out, but gasoline doesn't lubricate as well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  12. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

The 2001 Sti spoiler was smaller and filled with significantly less douche.

tehfuzz likes this.
  13. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

These are valid concerns. Pretty much every DI engine I have heard about recently has chronic problems with both the HPFP and carbon buildup in valves, not to mention the injector seals that had (have?) a habit of failing in the BRZ. Better power and efficiency comes at a cost to reliability.

14. KA-T_240

Does anyone even know what they are using for the HPFP? Might need my dad to get in on this one early. My dad rebuilds injection pumps, and injectors for diesels. I doubt it would happen, they are to far behind with what they do now. lol.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  15. dew2far

dew2far Member

Looks like someone slapped a wing and hood scoop on a Civic

16. spudd

spudd Well-Known Member

Its for a fog lamp in japan and Europe

17. spudd

spudd Well-Known Member

They have a standard pump in the tank that feeds a pump on the left head driven by the cam. I'm still curious to why subaru didn't keep the port injectors on the fa turbos like are on the brz???

18. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

RELEASE OF THE 2015 STI HATCHBACK!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

19. Kosh

Kosh Well-Known Member

By 2001, I actually meant the first FF movie. I wish they would bring back the sexy GC.

20. Brayden Hebl

Brayden Hebl Member

Too bad the normal famous boxer sounds won't be as definitive....That's a definite low point for me...... EL headers.... Boo

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  21. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

The DI present on the BRZ was a toyota system. Subaru can't just use Toyota tech on other engines, despite popular belief that Toyota controls everything Subaru does.

22. KA-T_240

Yay efficiency and equal back pressure!

23. Brayden Hebl

Brayden Hebl Member

Should change the dang slogan since everything else is changing. From "love, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru" to "new age bullsh*t, it's what changes a Subaru, to a suckaroo"

24. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Its now all about sales and for everyone of us that says ew it looks like crap sounds like crap this isn't a Subaru there is 3 people ooooo this sounds better then my camary looks just like it and has awd and turbo!!!

KA-T_240 likes this.
  25. KA-T_240

Im on the fence, BRZ or order one of these. I can only hope the "rumors" are true these handle amazing.

26. Brayden Hebl

Brayden Hebl Member

That's what sucks. :( I've always seen the wrx and sti as kinda their own breed and basically pushed the limits to doing whatever they wanted based upon the owners choice of how to use the car. I guess it's the turning into a "mainstream" car that doesn't agree with me...

27. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Well then as luck has it they are still pretty much leggos and you can take off the bits you don't like and put on aftermarket bits you do want. Honestly that is what Subaru is about. I find it hard to believe without a lot of tech advancements that the wrx will handle much better then it has in the past. Part of that is the way the awd system causes the car to plow into corners.

28. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Well some of the plowing is due to being nose heavy and some can be reduced with suspension setup. The new chassis is supposed to bring the engine backwards and be much stiffer which really would help handling.

29. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

30. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think the new wrx/sti looks like a [insert absolutely any new car]???
    I just don't understand the criticism, I think the new one is just as generic as the previous model. Plus cars in the same class have always had similar shapes and styling, it's not new!

31. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Omg what was subaru thinking?! They just copied an old accord design!! I'm never buying a subaru again!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

32. Shancaldazar

Subaru has never had an original design.

Ok, maybe the B9 Tribeca. That was a success.... right?

Ryan FailRad, SCIFIDELITY and Curry like this.
  33. Jwhy

Jwhy Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do those wheels look like the BBS SR wheels?

34. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Nhibbs, I think the gc impreza looks a lot more like the corolla and old lancer evo then the accord. Also, pretty much all 90s cars in general were bland. I thought the gr hatch and the gc8 were the best looking gens. To me, bland is different then ugly and the new wrx/Sti is ugly (uglier than the stock Impreza).

35. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

why cant they just make updated versions of this

[​IMG]

36. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what all the hang up is about. I like the new sedan. I think the front end is the best yet!

Nhibbs likes this.
  37. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Shut your pretty mouth. Subaru's suck.

38. Shancaldazar

And no one is ever going to buy one again! Never! Because they all suck now! Especially because I bought the last generation which is the best generation ever and subaru will never make a better one! Subaru has lost their roots and suxxss! They need more Travis Blocks in their cars!

Until the "best generation ever" gets old and you need a new one, then the new ones look nice and you are pleased with advancements....

*every single time subaru releases a car*

Really, doesn't it get old? People are now hawking about how great the 06/07s are (and even more hilarious, the 08's, easily the worst WRX/STi ever), which IIRC, which terribly ugly and disappointing when they came out. Hmm.

39. Brayden Hebl

Brayden Hebl Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389829107.546691.jpg jeeez this is winning..............

LagWagon likes this.
  40. Noone

Noone Well-Known Member

Your right.
    While driving home with my son last night I told him to look at all the 4 door sedans on the way home. Half hour drive later I asked him what ones do you think looked better than the new WRX.
    His answer was None. Said just staring at all the cars made him realize that most all of them look the same. Government control of what we are allowed to have is probably to blame.

I would like to see some pricing on the new model. I assume all the new changes at least to the WRX will bring up prices.
    Things I don't like much aside from it not looking exactly like the concept car are lol:bounce:
    Smaller motor. 2.0L (like money I don't want less I want more)
    Slower 0-60 (like everything else I want better)
    Slower 1/4 mile (Im getting slower cars shouldn't be)
    300hp and 268hp not really amazing anyone anymore I think Buick makes a car that has all wheel drive a turbo and 259hp

http://www.buick.com/regal-luxury-sport-sedan.html
    I shouldn't be able to use the words buick and wrx in the same post. Hell my grandma drove a buick.

A lot will be told when someone actually gets to test the cars. Would be nice to see what some of the aftermarket companies can do with the new motor. Who knows should be interesting to see what they do in testing.

41. Brayden Hebl

Brayden Hebl Member

42. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

It is way too early to make these kinds of statements. 0-60 times are not really useful for much and the reported increase in time can be explained by the new 6 speed tranny needing an extra shift. I seem to recall that the STI has always had a slower 0-60 than the wrx for the same reason.
    Also, the peak bhp number they state also doesn't tell you very much about performance and driving feel. It has a twin scroll turbo so the lag is likely nonexistent and has a much broader/flatter torque curve than before.
    One more thing is the chassis stiffness and handling. I would bet money the new chassis feels more refined and corners much better than ever before.

Lets put this to rest now until more people start driving them and we get a better understanding of real world performance.

9blackmax6 and Brayden Hebl like this.
  43. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Lol factory tune...

Nhibbs likes this.
  44. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Exactly, that is a big unknown but I would also bet money that they left a ton of power on the table with the factory tune for the same reason they always do. Emissions. Which is also why so many cars use 2L engines now.

45. Shancaldazar

Same engine as the FXT (changes in the valves though) but makes more power with less boost. Should be able to crank the boost up a couple more PSI and get more power easily.

Note-just me armchair racing here on my above comments.