2015 WRX leaked info/images

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by pbedroske, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

front looks kinda like it i meant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I think "Clown Shoe" is the best description of the style but if you are British I guess it is called a Shooting Brake.

3. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1311_2015_subaru_wrx_first_look/

Since its introduction in the U.S. in 2002, the Subaru WRX has been an enthusiast staple. Expectations couldn't be higher for the newest model, and Subaru gave us a taste of things to come earlier this year with the WRX concept. Now, the 2015 Subaru WRX has been fully revealed at the 2013 Los Angeles auto show, and things look promising for the successor to the famed rally special.

The 2015 Subaru WRX is based on the current-gen Impreza sedan's body, and, as you might expect, features a similar profile. The WRX, however, gets a unique hood, rear doors, rear quarter panels, headlights, taillights, bumpers, and front fenders. Those fenders receive the characteristic flares, while the model's distinctive hood scoop is set more deeply to improve visibility. The front end vaguely resembles that of the concept, with the hexagonal grille jutting out past the headlights. Those headlights maintain the basic shape of the concept, but don't get the same wild, 3D LEDs. A C-shaped LED accent envelops the main lamps within the housing, which utilizes full LED low-beam lights on higher-trim models and halogens on others. Subaru says the front end look is meant to "evoke a raptor's stare."

Of course, you can't have a WRX without a turbocharged flat-four engine and a performance-oriented all-wheel-drive system, and the 2015 model delivers on both fronts. Subaru borrowed the turbocharged, direct-injected 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder from the Forester XT, and employs a high 10.6:1 compression ratio, twin-scroll turbocharger, and the Subaru Dual Active Valve Control System. The engine gets different camshafts and higher-rate valve springs, among other upgrades unique to the WRX, to bring output to 268 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, which peaks between 2000 and 5200 rpm. That represents an increase of 3 hp and 14 lb-ft of torque over the previous-gen model's turbo 2.5-liter.

A six-speed manual transmission, the first-ever application in the WRX, is standard. All previous WRX models were available with five-speed manuals, and Subaru says the new transmission provides a wider ratio spread and features carbon synchronizers on first and second gears. In place of an automatic option is an available Sport Lineartronic CVT. As the WRX engine is related to that of the Forester turbo, a CVT makes sense from a logistical standpoint, but the choice may puzzle many enthusiasts as continuously variable transmissions aren't typically known for being sporty. To those doubters, Subaru says that the Sport Lineartronic CVT has been "engineered to enrich the performance driving experience," while maintaining the smooth, fuel-efficient characteristics the transmission type is known for. When in Sport Sharp mode, the CVT automatically shuffles through eight pre-selected stepped gear ratios, and the driver can choose from six- and eight-speed manual shifting modes using the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. CVT-equipped models also feature the Subaru Intelligent Drive system, which allows the driver to customize the driving experience by choosing from three modes, including Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp.

Each transmission gets its own version of Subaru's Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system. Manual-equipped models receive a viscous coupling locking center differential that splits torque 50:50 front and rear in normal driving conditions, and applies power to the wheel with the most traction when the Vehicle Dynamics Control system detects slippage. CVT models come exclusively with a Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) version of the all-wheel-drive system, which utilizes a planetary gear-type center differential and electronically controlled hydraulic transfer clutch to distribute torque. In most situations, the VTD splits torque 45:55 for a rear torque bias and better handling agility. The system constantly adjusts torque distribution based on the driving conditions and input from steering wheel angle, yaw, and lateral g-force sensors.

The 2015 WRX rolls on a set of aerodynamically optimized 17-inch alloy wheels wrapped in 235/45R17-size Dunlop Sport SP Maxx RT high-performance tires. Electric power assist steering was used, and combined with the tires, sport-tuned suspension, and stiffer chassis compared to the outgoing WRX, the electric steering system yields response that Subaru says was benchmarked against some of the best-handling sports cars. The body features more high-tensile-strength steel than the previous model, and uses special stiffening elements.

The improvements continue inside the new WRX's cabin, which is more spacious thanks to a wheelbase that's an inch longer than the outgoing model's. The dashboard is lower than before, and a higher seating H-point combined with lower door sills and doors that open wider contribute to easier ingress and egress. Almost 2 inches of legroom have been added in the rear, and the larger trunk also benefits from standard 60/40 split folding rear seats. Automatic climate control comes standard, while hands-free keyless entry, push-button start, heated front seats, a nine-speaker Harman/Kardon premium audio system, and navigation with Aha smartphone integration are available as options. Soft-touch materials are used in the dash, door trim, and center console armrest.

A flat-bottom steering wheel comes wrapped in leather, and features audio and Bluetooth controls along with tilt and telescoping adjustment. Behind that is a dual-gauge cluster layout with a 3.5-inch central LCD screen, which can show oil level and selected gear. A new 4.3-inch LCD screen placed high and inset in the center stack can display a boost gauge, rearview camera feed, audio info, climate control settings, or VDC functions like traction control. Drivers can take in all this info from the comfort of the "Whiplash-reducing" front sport seats, which come standard covered in high-grip fabric but are available in leather. An eight-way power adjustable driver's seat is also available.

The turbocharged, all-wheel-drive formula that has served the WRX well for more than 10 years appears to still be intact with the 2015 model, but we'll have to wait until we can drive it to see if it's a worthy successor -- and to find out if a CVT is an appropriate option for the performance car.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1311_2015_subaru_wrx_first_look/#ixzz2lDAWJT7H

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

5. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

shan.thielen likes this.
  6. LagWagon

LagWagon Well-Known Member

Ugh. I was excited to buy a brand new car this/next year. Now I have to wait until I can afford a new BMW or something. The new WRX is so disgustingly ugly.

7. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

People raved about the new Impreza. Now that the inevitable happened and it has evolved into a WRX people hate it. Subaru has always had a weird look, especially with the Impreza. Did anyone expect different?

drac77 likes this.
  8. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

I don't think it's an ugly car. It's just really damn boring.

Schikane, Legsaucy and ofspunk7 like this.
  9. LagWagon

LagWagon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is how you know it is an ugly car. The rear end is just so... pedestrian..

10. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I love it. I think it's the best looking WRX or STI to date. I love the rear end, and I normally don't like sedans as much.

The stock wheels look terrible though. Not a fan of any of the newer Subaru OEM wheels (ie. BRZ, XV, etc.)

drac77 and freeze2104 like this.
  11. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks all that bad. I'm still not a fan of sedans, I really hope they make a hatch.
    I love the way they state they have improved the WRX for high speed handling, have a picture of high performance tires and a jack in the brochure, video of one ripping down a dirt road, added a boost gauge, yet if you try to warranty an issue you get the answer it wasn't designed to do that!
    It will be interesting to see how this plays. It is bigger and probably heavier than before. the 6 speed gear box will definitely make a difference on the autocross course. (for local sites the WRX has almost perfect gearing) All new chassis could mean a big wait for aftermarket parts. (Ran into this trying to find suspension for my 2009).
    I hope these get into the hands of shops and tuners like they did with the BRZ so the aftermarket is ready to go when these finally hit the streets.
    Please give me a hatch...

Josey Wales likes this.
  12. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Member

Never had a interest in th sedans.
    Where oh where is the hatchback?!

13. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Honestly, what did all of "you people" expect? Yea, I said "you people." It's Subaru's for ****'s sake, not a damn performance car company. The WRX and STI have always been (and will continue to be) souped up econo boxes. Get your bang for your buck at the expense of luxury other fancy niceties. Did you REALLY think that Subaru was going to launch some miraculous WRX and STI body that looked any different than the base Impreza? I sure as heck wasn't getting my hopes up.

Do yall remember when they launched the 2008 WRX? I sure do...I remember seeing the cover of Motor Trend of this hideous Corolla looking thing with a hood scoop and Subaru badge: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0709_2008_subaru_impreza_wrx/photo_01.html

Well throw on some fender flares, and we all got over the looks and drive them any way. Hell I'm guilty. I don't think anyone has ever looked at any Subaru model and called it a thing of beauty.

So looks aside (and Stuck is right, it sure does look similar to an EVO), what about the powertrain? Well, I called the fact that they would offer it with a CVT (ask Curry). We haven't seen that many specs yet on the new power train, but I think that would be the biggest area available for improvement. At least the WRX gets a 6-speed now...but I guess that could be a bad thing...depends what you're in to.

My only hope is that they "fixed" all of the piston issues that people have with STI's. I don't want to argue the points about modding them, blowing up, etc, but at its core, there is a larger number of STI's that blow up in stock form that really should not be blowing up.

I think that direct injection and a twin scroll turbo are steps in the right direction. I don't mind the looks either. Pending more details on the chassis and engine, I think it will be another decent car that we all grow to like

Love, it's what forces you to still drive a Subaru and troll all over MNSubaru.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Ctracey218 likes this.
  14. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Overall I like it. Not in love, but not bad. Hopefully the STi will be slightly more aggressive. Biggest complaint is the gauges and flat bottom steering wheel and the silver thing connected to it.

15. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Agree TMF.

According to Car and Driver (who had the exact specs exactly right a week or two before the release) the WRX (not the STi, the WRX) corners at 1.10Gs. That is more than a stock Corvette Stingray. And we haven't seen the STi yet. That is a huge improvement I think!

16. Noone

Noone Well-Known Member

As someone who mods cars to my liking I am not sure how the 2.0 motor is going do in that area. There's no replacement for displacement.... isn't that how the saying goes. If I had to guess this will make less power than the last generation. Not a good reason for someone like me with a 09 to trade for a new one.

It would be interesting to see if the auto in this car is close to as good as the one in the Evo MR.

Would also like to some pricing. Bet the price is getting a nice bump up.

The STI is supposed to be unveiled in January and is still supposed to have a 2.5 so there is still that to look forward to and more than likely be disappointed bye. lol .

17. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Looks like they are making changes in the right direction. Anyone seen anything on pricing?

The 6 speed could be a great thing. Hopefully it has something from the STi in it, and it won't be glass anymore. The 6th gear could also be a bit of an overdrive to help drive up fuel economy.

The new steering wheel looks like the aftermarket ones for the GR.

18. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

The rest of the world has had a 2.0L STi for years. The JDM STi would out perform the USDM in every "category". Its all about proper engineering and how things work together. I loved my 2.0L WRX, never should have sold that car.

19. b00stWrx11

b00stWrx11 Member

Meh, maybe ill grow into it more when i see it on the road.

20. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet it's a WRX 5MT with a super tall overdrive gear tacked on for fuel economy. Just like the current gen LGT 6MT. The 50/50, non-DCCD seems to hint at this.

The fact that they say it will be able to pull 1.1g's is really interesting though. If the motor is robust, the low mount turbo setup would do great with a slightly larger turbo.

Nhibbs likes this.
  21. Shancaldazar

The FA engine is 20 years newer than the EJ. It will make more power. Look at what the BRZ is capable of with 2.0l (600whp/Wtq on stock internals anyone? It may have been RWD and less drivetrain loss, but no EJ could ever do anything remotely like that and remain reliable for months and months of drag strip and circuit testing like this FA has). The FA is a very solid engine that (according to crawford) is vastly better than the EJ in every single way.

Motor trend compared the CVT in the Forester XT to a PDK. The WRX will use a newer updated version of that. Should be just as good!

Ding ding ding ding!

It is most likely a split case 6MT that Subaru uses in the legacy, forester, outback and the overseas XV. While not as robust as the STi's DCCD transmission, it is an improvement on the 5-speed. It still suffers from the case flex (as do all split case transmissions) that contributed to the blown 5 speeds (it wasn't just weak gears.... technically the synchros were poor too... anyway). With Carbon synchros and slightly upgraded gears compared to the 5MT it should hold up better. Still not great however....

The turbo placement means a Front mount and reversed intake results in short piping for less lag. Even less lag then stock potentially.... :)

MightyP likes this.
  22. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Someone shopped this together and I think it looks pretty nice!

image.jpg

b00stWrx11 and MightyP like this.
  23. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh and I'm with Ben, I think the rear end looks great with the quad tips and subtle trunk lid spoiler.
    I have always liked sedans more so maybe I'm the minority but I think if they do come out with a hatch version y'all will be even more disappointed because it will probably look like dodge caliber rear end that the current Impreza hatches have.
    This styling fits the sedan nicely IMHO.

24. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My 2 cents:
    The WRX/STi line has always been famous and known for a unique and distinctive look that made it stand out from the crowd in a parking lot or even on the streets. But ever since the 2008+ models launched, the Subaru identity is easily mistaken with any current new sedan out there. Boring - is the best way to describe the new WRX/STi designs as others have stated. For instance, the back end of the new sedan design does not flow with the front end which makes me wonder what the designers where thinking when presenting it to the Board.

25. readymix

No, that shop makes me think we're going to have even more tasteless stancetards running around the forums in short order. It makes me want to burn it to the ground.

solem22, SCIFIDELITY and JasonoJordan like this.
  26. Noone

Noone Well-Known Member

So the brz can put out 600hp? Where is this car. I think I would buy one tomorrow.

27. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Actually crawfords brz is very close to 600. Now by no means does that have a stock motor any longer but it can be done and in time when parts are cheaper in a couple years I belive it will be able to be done much cheaper then on the ej platform.

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  28. MightyP

MightyP Member

This is probably sacrilege on here, but the Evo X engine (4B11T, I think) is only a 2.0L and it's a much stronger engine than than the EJ. The rest of the car will fall apart, but the drive train is a beast.

29. derp

derp Well-Known Member

None of the stancetards around here will be able to afford a brand new WRX, they're too busy living in mom's basement masturbating furiously over their herrafrush jdmasfvck cannibeat fatlace illest superhellabadass beat down piece of **** nonfunctional whateverthe****s to go get a job and buy a new car.

We'll be safe for a while.

30. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Crawford's brz actually just went kaboom at the track, idk if it is their 600hp one, but one of theirs threw a rod through the block

31. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

You are forgetting one subset of stancetards that might be a problem. The spoiled rich kids who get daddy to go buy them a brand new wrx so they can ruin it.

32. Shancaldazar

Yup, look up AP Turbo BRZ. Last time I heard, they bumped the horsepower north of 600 and kept it that way for a while. No blown engine news for over a year of being turbocharged (and many of those north of 500/600 HP).

EDIT: They removed the dyno run from the thread for whatever reason.... There is one that shows it at almost 550 HP on stock internals still (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16680&page=20)

It is also worth noting they can rev the engine past 9,000 RPMs too in a fully built engine (stated later in that thread "only pulling it to 9K while we are still breaking it in.").

That was their sub 250 HP one. It had an exhaust, intake and tune only. Not sure why it blew.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  33. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I dunno man, someone spent a lot more time on this retrofit. It looks hella dope.

[​IMG]

34. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

JDM yo

35. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Here, I made a hatch version. Is everyone happy now??

performance_bg.png

Cotts612, phi11 and idget like this.
  36. idget

compelling counterpoint. godbless
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Mike and Nhibbs like this.
  37. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I will be sending this to Subaru's lead designer so they can make these changes to the 2015 production version.
    /thread

euro likes this.
  38. euro

euro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    found on another forum

39. readymix

The difference is the Subaru version wont spontaneously catch fire and burn your house down.

40. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

It's grown on me, look forward to the STi debut in Detroit.

41. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Because what a car can handle on the dyno is way different than the abuse it sees on the track

42. idget

The spy shot looks pretty accurate:

[​IMG]

Cotts612 and BroCo like this.
  43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

no glitterdick decal so not buying it

44. idget

wise choice. brz wagon is the way to go

45. Shancaldazar

There are plenty of other BRZs still N/A with similar power holding up to track duty. Spend a little time on the BRZ forums. Crawfords' failure seems to be a freak failure.