2016 STI spoiler removal

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by boxerbull, Mar 16, 2016.

1. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

i just ordered a 2016 STI base and I would like to remove the spoiler what are my best options? I would like to keep the spoiler for when I sell the car and I am pretty picky about my cars so a trunk swap seems like it would be hard to find a mint one. Is there a good body shop that could weld and fill the holes or is my best bet a new trunk lid?

Thank you

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Having them welded and plugged would render the spoiler(that you would be storing until you sold the car)useless with that trunk lid.

What color is the car? People have done vinyl stickers over the holes and or body plugs that you can get at the auto parts store. Some have even color matched the plugs with paint. But if you're super OCD...the plugs or vinyls would probably bug you.

Your best bet would be to buy a wingless oem unpainted trunk, and having it painted. Maybe buy a 2016 WRX trunk?

pillboy and tehfuzz like this.
  3. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

I was thinking the new lid might be the best option but I was wondering if welding/filling the holes would be a cheaper option? from what I'm seeing a new unpainted lid is 500.00 the one dealer I talked with claimed a new trunk lid painted with hardware would be close to 2000.00 which seems like a lot. Like I said I am pretty OCD about my cars does anyone know of a good body shop ?

4. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

Trade with a WRX, those guys love pretending they have STi's

pingpooh60 and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled that Subaru doesn't offer a no-charge "wing delete" option. Everyone doesn't want to be a male peacock. That wing is the one thing that would make me reconsider purchasing an STI. New deck lid is the best way to go on a new car. Then the problem is where and how do you store the original one so it remains undamaged for years (coffee table in the living room?). Then I wonder how the paint will match the car after the car has been exposed to the elements and the trunk has not. Smartest thing might be to leave it as it comes and buy a flat brim hat.

tangledupinblu and Deathly like this.
  6. '15 WRX

'15 WRX Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that for the 2016 STI models you have a choice between the big spoiler or a low-profile trunk spoiler for no additional charge.

7. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

I just ordered the base STI there is no wing delete option you have to jump up to the limited to have the option.

8. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

You don't even own it yet and your thinking of selling it:facepalm: well let me know I will buy it wingless from you.

pingpooh60 likes this.
  9. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

10-4 in five years its all yours...

10. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I'd explore the truck swap method. Chances are a MY15 or MY16 trunk will still be mint or just need a good buffing, at worst. If money is no obstacle, by all means buy a brand new trunk lid so you'll have both. With you being so particular about your car (I'm the same way), I'm going to assume you wouldn't be happy removing the wing and using some type of cheesy plug or stickers to cover up the holes. Other than doing that, trunk swap is going to be your cheapest route. Then, just sell the car wingless or try and swap back with someone else before you sell...

11. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you filled the holes, you'd end up with the "trunk catapult" that the older STi's had, due to the upgraded springs on the trunk. Swap would probably be your best bet.

Deathly likes this.
  12. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

pillboy likes this.
  13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Now that's timing.

14. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

I replied to that one on Craigslist a while back but he never got back to me I tried again tonight.

15. Legsaucy

Legsaucy Well-Known Member

It would cost more to weld in and resurface than to buy a lid and have it painted. I've done a couple of them and with the amount of work put it to make it perfect, I wouldn't charge less than $800 again and that was at side work rate.

Check out car-part.com and source an A grade lid, even if it's not the same color or has minor imperfections it would be the cheaper route to fix and color change.

16. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

I did find one on car-part but it got damaged during shipping. If I got it repaired and repainted would the lid just be able to be sprayed or would they need to start blending?

17. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

It's best to just trade trunks. You'll also get cash on top too.

18. Legsaucy

Legsaucy Well-Known Member

What's the paint code? Since it's new and hasn't had a chance to fade it should be able to be painted as a single panel without needing to blend.

19. boxerbull

boxerbull Member

I'm not sure of the paint code but it's the ice silver metallic .