2017 engines

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Black beauty, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

I heard from a couple people that the 2017 motor may have issues between breakin and 30k not all mind you but its something to do with the heads im told, they werent mechanics what should i look out for if anyone has even a clue what this issue is

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Which 2017 motor?

3. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

sneefy, silver03 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  4. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Yes.

TMF likes this.
  5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

1. As others have said, what engine? FA20 in the WRX? EJ357 in the STI? 2.5na in the outbacks?
    2. If they are in fact failing under 30k, you're under the full warranty. If it fails, you get to drop off the keys at the dealer and let them fix it for $0 to you. That's the advantage of having a new car with a warranty?
    Modified it? Sorry, no warranty! (in most cases) Plus, a modified engine is more prone to failing anyway.

I understand that you're trying to gather some information on frequent failures, and I'm curious to hear if there is some sort of trend going on. You might want to check out NASIOC, as it is a much larger forum and when there are frequent failures, there are usually threads that are tracking every failure with vin's, build dates, etc.

If the issue is prevalent enough, Subaru will issue a recall. Until then, drive it like you stole it, maintain it properly, and don't modify it if you want your warranty.

6. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

the FA 20 for the WRX

7. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

sorry for my ignorance on that one duh

8. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

9. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

since she is FRESH less then a 1k on her ive owned 3 subies already two outbacks and an electric blue BRZ when they first came out this is my first WRX so of course im concerned i also have a maintenance plan that was given to from my dealer as well my concern of course is 30k plus which has a warranty but your right i dont wanna do any crazy mods im dressing it up and of course decals make her go 5mph faster right. im gettig used to manual and snow but its crazy cool

silver03 likes this.
  10. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  11. blackozone

Your profile says you're 54. Is that accurate?

sneefy likes this.
  12. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

ill be 55 in may is that a question?

silver03 likes this.
  13. blackozone

Not trying to make a point of anything, just curious.
    These cars usually attract much younger clientele.

14. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Hey now....

15. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

Never too old to drive a RALLY Car

16. blackozone

LOL, ur old...

tehfuzz and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  17. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

i test drove a STI couple years ago when i was trading my 2005 mini cooper S in to a subi dealership in St Cloud they let me take it for several miles and really test it i thought it was very stiff and unforgiving but when i got outta the city i punched it and it was almost to much power for that little 4 door sedan, so i went back and picked out an outback cuz i was road tripping alot and now that im a city dweller come 6 years later i trafed my 2016 outback and now im here as a new WRX cat with a lot to learn as far as my age who gives a f**k , i into speed, and im into cars all kinds, muscle, rat rods, vintage had em all now lets do tuners i dont care if it appeals to anyone its what im into now hello

minnesotanice likes this.
  18. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

my orignal question was about my engine now im being called old my how we like to distract people with your own thoughts and ideas

19. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You're not old, unless you feel like you are! Lol. I think that Lee(blackozone) was calling Rick(silver03) old fwiw.

Welcome! There was a member on here that had issues with his FA20 and had to rebuild it. I don't think that it is a "common" issue tho. Now if you had an EJ257, that would be a completely different conversation.

Cotts612, DIRTY D and silver03 like this.
  20. UnquenchableOne

UnquenchableOne Well-Known Member

As someone who got an 02 in 01, and now has a 17 in 16, I am considerably older than when I first had a WRX, being 40 now but I drive my cars more crazy now than I did back then! Mostly because I know how now and I trust the WRX so much! This is a different car than the original for sure but I like it in just about every way even more. I am not touching my engine for at least that 30k miles. I will mostly do suspension and brakes and fun things like that in the meantime. Being a fellow "old" wrx 17 driver, I hope this info is false, and that I get the wave at you on the road in the future!

klutz likes this.
  21. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'll be 60 this year. Phuck all of you.

tehfuzz, Nhibbs, idget and 1 other person like this.
  22. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

im not at all concerned with peoples opinions there like a** some of em stink age is just a number so blank that, im gonna enjoy my ride for what its worth am i gonna stand around in a circle jerk and have conversations and compare rides and showoff nah thats not for me im just gonna enjoy what i got put do dads on it to my liking ive been in clubs before harley, classic cars you stand in around your groups admire what the others have eat snacks and sit and sunburn and dont venture too far and get separated you might get tempted to the dark side then you laugh, carry on some drinking some smoking some bragging nah so done with that scene im like i said if i need to be in a group or i need to be alone my choice i dont need to belong like its a psychological manifestation If i see you on the road ill wave if you ask me questions when i stop thats cool but some people even if they get the ride of there dreams are still not satisfied so im that one

23. pillboy

MN Subaru = Circle Jerk

minnesotanice likes this.
  24. blackozone

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to silver03 (I know him IRL, he's one of the older member on the forum).
    My question about your age was exactly as I described it, I was curious because we don't usually get new members that are over 30. Generally the newbies that come around here are about 16-25. Personally, I think it's awesome to have older members on the forums that participate on a regular basis, it helps having the perspectives on here and mix up some of the dynamics of the user base. We may have older members that come on to read, but not so many of them are posting regularly like you are.
    Either way, welcome to the forum.

TMF likes this.
  25. silver03

As one of the older 39-year-olds on this form I concur.

klutz and sneefy like this.
  26. pillboy

I don't trust any dealer to be straight with you on "recommended" maintenance (many dealers have these maintenance packages that they have home brewed on their own). I have always gone by the manufacturer's printed schedule which ends up with my doing services a la carte since certain things don't always conveniently fall at 30,000 mile intervals (time intervals interfere with this).

27. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

hey pillboy when do you meet i have seen chatter but i guess its after stuff melts last posts were you all are trying to find a place

28. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

circle jerks is what i call people who blah blah rehash the same conversation and same ideas to no end its yes enjoying our cars got it but were so varied with ideas how does anyone come to a conclusion about anything now days use dto be in the day wed help our fellow members with their mechanical issues now its show and tell and and coffee conversation

29. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I think your "." key is broken on your keyboard. These posts are hard to read without punctuation!
    To answer your original question it MAYBE sounds like your were talking about carbon deposits on the intake valves? It is definitely a problem with the new direct injected motors and you will need to get walnut blasted somewhat regularly. The only other common problems with the FA20 are when you modify them they like to bend/throw rods but if you keep it stock it shouldn't be a problem.

joebush44 likes this.
  30. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

thank you nhibbs finally after all that i get straight answer.
    Yes my key board sucks but its the womans ****, i got a projection key board that just came to me from Best buy, im chucking this over the balcony today or using it for practice with my double barrel shot gun when it warms up. woman is reluctant to sacrifice to the tech gods for anything that changes what she does. so yeah it might look like run on sentences. So hopefully my posts will improve didn't think we needed to have perfection to say something here

31. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

This thread has been great to read on my slow day at work. Welcome Black beauty, I'm pretty new as well, but yeah... welcome to the short bus.

32. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

welcome mn nice good comment short bus is right were wrapped up in sentence structure and age and blah blah i was asking a question and it blossumed into as you call a read on a slow day gee i hope i didnt offend anyone for calling it what it is NOT

33. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Ehh, you get used to it. Don't get scared away. You really gotta rope-a-dope with a lot of people.

34. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

yeah i understand im a newbie,but ive been in clubs before with there blah blah running off at the mouth which is not a club thats a coffee conversation.i would have with a hot woman whose into fast cars and is kinda of a tomboy if you got a destination in mind and an actual meeting place and time id show just to check it out but im kinda thinking we aint even close to that i dont just go i got a woman who keeps me warm at night aint gonna screw that up with impromptu last minute bull****

35. Black beauty

Black beauty New Member

its not about asking permission blank that i just dont care for disorganization is all

36. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I'll be posting details for the 2017 LaXCruise soon. Keep an eye out in the events section.

It would be around July...so no impromptu there! Hopefully you and the little lady consider going. :)

-Josh

37. silver03

Josh, Cody has a good idea for stickers for 17.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  38. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

What sentence structure?

Just as typing in ALL CAPS come across as constantly yelling, typing with no capitalization or punctuation comes across as incoherent drunken rambling (at best). ;)

That said, welcome. I'm with you in the old-(ish) fogey club.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Vector and Nhibbs like this.
  39. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

If you plan to mod, then get a good tune. These FA20DIT are very sensitive to mods and tuning. Also, make sure you downshift if you are cruising at low speed/high gear. The rods are very weak on these engines. There's been quite a few folks that are stock with engine failure, but it's not alarming due to the fact that so many people buy these cars. I suggest you head over to the Fa 20 turbo threads on Nasioc.