2020 Outback, the XT is back...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by drac77, Apr 17, 2019.

1. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  2. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Onyx_Edition_1.jpg

Cotts612 likes this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Looks like an Army vehicle.

4. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I like it.

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Those rims are pretty wild. As well as the side skirts!

6. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Looks good!! However, I wish they got rid of the built in roof rack and had the roof rails on all models, not just the touring. Now the question for me since I'm starting to look at Outbacks is, do I get a 3.6 touring like I'm planning, or wait for the xt? Not really sure I want another turbocharged car. On the flip side, its a turbocharged car!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  7. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

From the article I read the 2020 Outbacks are ditching the 3.6 engine and the XT 2.4 Turbo engine is replacing it....disappointed. Personally I think it'd be better if they kept the 3.6 as a normal option and then add the XT super or turbocharging the 3.6. I'd be on board with that (or maybe just call it an Sti Outback with this setup).

Glad I bought my 3.6 the last year they have a regular non-CVT transmission. I think I'm not buying anymore Subarus if they only have CVTs or get them new or new then ditch them before they implode.

8. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

Just buy an STi or WRX, no CVT's there (Well I guess there is a CVT WRX now) I really do think the new STi will be a variant of the 2.4L that they are putting in everything.

9. loxx0050

No thanks...I've already had an Evo X in the past but since I've got a family now I like having the extra room (both interior and cargo wise) of the Outback. Would love a more sporty version in a manual transmission though and would've bought a manual transmission H6 engine offering in a heartbeat honestly. I miss that Audi got rid of the S4 Avants and never sold the RS4 avant here (not that I could probably sensibly buy an RS and still stay married though because I don't make CEO money unfortunately). Or an A6 Avant with the 6 cylinder super/turbo engines would've been nice too with a manual (or maybe if they ever figure it out the 6 cylinder diesels)...again an S6 isn't practical either because...see CEO comment in earlier sentence.

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I keep seeing articles focusing on the return of the 4-cyl turbo.

But they seem to gloss over the fact that it appears that for the first time in 33 years, Subaru is not producing a 6-cylinder.

jubella2 likes this.
  11. Cotts612

I'm pretty sure all the newer Oubacks have the cvt, including the 3.6. They do mimic a non cvt transmission by putting in shift points though.

12. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I've read rumors that an a6 avant is coming in the next gen but probably just a tease. I doubt it would have a manual option though.

The new outback looks nice but also just looks like an outback

13. loxx0050

That is what I understood also is that 2015 and on are some sort of CVT transmission no matter the which one (4 or 6 cylinder) for automatic. I picked up a 2014 H6 so I've got the 5 speed non-CVT auto transmission but I do have paddle/tiptronic shift mode though. Which I hardly ever use except the occasional engine braking.

Yeah, I believe Audi is also doing away with manual transmissions in general for the US/North America too. A shame as out of the 3 AWD vehicles I've owned my old Audi A4 Quattro with a manual transmission was the best handling in the snow of them (other 2 were Evo X manual and the current H6 Outback). The CR-V's the wife has/had are ok but not as good as my vehicles in the snow/bad weather.

Cotts612 likes this.
  14. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

As a 2015 outback driver, the fake shiftpoints are rather annoying at times.

15. Cotts612

I can believe it! But them paddle shifters yo!

16. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

My Dad had a 2011 Leggy that had a CVT. I never understood why they had paddle shifters in it? I tried it once and was immediately disappointed. I turned around and got back in my STi, lol.
    I wish wish wish wish that companies would bring back the manual transmission here in the US. But I am part of a dying breed I guess that would prefer to drive the car not have the car drive for me. If my RS3 had been a manual I would still have it. To be honest small crossovers and SUV's are taking over the world. Pretty soon most of the big companies will only have like 1 or 2 cars in their lineups.

17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

The paddle shifters have their place. My mom has a 2012 Impreza, and for just getting A to B, it's perfect. And if you're climbing or descending a grade, you can tell it to change the ratios a bit. When I drive it, I like that I can drop a "gear" or several as I coast to an intersection (I do that with conventional automatics, too).

It's not a sporty feature, but a functional one. That said, I much prefer to have a manual, but I don't desire any cars newer than about 2004...

I also have to correct myself. There was a 3 year lapse (98-00) between the EG33 and EZ30. But I'm not hopeful that will repeat itself

18. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I could EG33 all the things. Love that platform(with a manual)