~31 Mpg!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by kickin_81, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I don't know what's up but on my way home just now I got an average of 31 MPG on the freeway where I would normally get 25 MPG. It felt like the wind was blowing the direction I was driving to or like I was being towed by another car. I set the cruise at 70 MPH and it didn't feel like it normally does where it slightly holds you into the seat. It kinda felt like my car weighed 2000 lbs only. I loved it!

When I got out of my car, it wasn't windy at all. Could it be the high 60 degree weather with the light humidity we're getting right now? Any weather experts in here? :hsugh:

2. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

Maybe you was flying in the cyclone twister, that might happen :)

3. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

ENOUGH ABOUT YOUR FORESTER! Dammit...Close this Thread! hahaha...First 271WHP, now 31MPG...what's next? It tows 9000lbs? Just kidding Fong...I felt the same way with my WRX when I was joyriding it yesturday. The air is not as dense so the air flow made the car run a little better, plus the weather was perfect not too hot ,not too cold...Also road condition plays a role.

4. kickin_81

^^lol! I didn't think about that. Seriously though, maybe engines run most efficient in this type of weather or something. I was getting high MPG even going up inclines!

5. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

DING DING DING.... You left the lesbians and crossdressers at home... less (DRAG-queen) er weight in the vehicle :laugh:

6. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i dont see how u get better MPG then me but ohwell

7. TSTRBOY2004

he gets out and pushes it occasionally....

8. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Fong has a magical Forester.

9. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

when i drive highway without any aggressive driving i get around 30mpg, during normal spirited driving i get around 20mpg :biggrin:

10. SenorSubie

SenorSubie Well-Known Member

Er

I only get around 26 pure highway.. and I've got an NA

Other than that, I get around 16-18 city

Hmm

11. Natural2JZ

Natural2JZ Well-Known Member

how many miles u got on that car fong?

12. kickin_81

36,000 miles on the odo. But I hope you guys didn't take me wrong... it was just today on my way home that I noticed better fuel efficiency and slightly better driving feel. All other days, it feels normal. I'm gonna blame it on the weather and on the BP gasoline I pumped last night, dammit. :pittyfool: :biggthumpup:

13. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i made 28.5mpg....that's pure highway(driving to milwaukee) at 70mph and i couldnt get that high.....i need turbOz!!

14. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I wonder...if your catless, I would try non-oxy gas and see how that turns out...should give you better burn and better MPG. non-oxy not recommended if you have cat.

15. hercules

hercules New Member

Fong you are the fastest and the furious!

16. techy101

techy101 Well-Known Member

Of course it's magical...It's a Forester!

17. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, part of it is the larger hotside on the turbo. You also found the sweetspot while crusing. When I drove down to chicago I was getting 30-31 (210miles on 7 gallons), and I normally only get 24-26 in the city stuff.
    Also, why would non-oxy be bad for the cats?? The non-oxy actually burns cleaner the the oxy stuff.

Russ

18. TSTRBOY2004

only way it may be worse is it burns hotter??? but thats how cats work.. the hotter it gets it becomes more efficient from what I understand.. but too hot NOT GOOD either.. ha haha

19. MPLSREX

MPLSREX Well-Known Member

I have no cats and when I do fill up with non-oxy I can feel the difference alot.
    Seems to respond alot better...the power is there right away!

20. kickin_81

This morning I got 29.8 MPG on the commute to work in moderate-heavy traffic. (90% freeway - stop&go) It must be the gas I put in.

21. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

So are you just looking at your scantool, or actually calculating the gallons used vs miles??

russ

22. techy101

techy101 Well-Known Member

I always use BP 92 non oxi cuz there's a station about a mile away from where I live. But I sure don't get that kind of mileage..... well, I also don't drive in a way condusive to that kind of mileage.

23. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I was talking to our service manager and he was stating that Non-Oxy does burn better, but not necessarily cleaner and would clog your Cat. because of all the carbon coming out from the burn. I had to replace my Cat once already because of it. That was when my car was still stock.

24. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Fong are you sure it isn't 29.8 KPG?

25. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i'm guessing he's using his scantool. no way he can go through gas that fast.

26. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

once i got 32mpg doing mixed driving. road conditions are a big factor so are manifold pressures.

27. kickin_81

I'm using my scangauge and my butt dyno. If I remember the next time I fill up, I'll record what I get using BP 92 octane. [I got ~25-26 MPG using non-ethanol Spur gas over the winter]

28. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, I will argue that non-oxy doesn't burn cleaner. All you have to do is look at my tailpipe and wbo2 and you can see how clean it burns. I have zero carbon soot in my tailpipe and the only thing I run is 92 non-oxy.

Russ

29. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

hmmm...wierd, thats the story they gave me...replacing my stock Cat.. I try to Run Non-oxy now since I'm catless. Could be defective also...Warranty covered it though, I'm happy.

30. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Found a quick article on Star tribune about Non-Oxy Gas

www.Startribune.com/535/story/37145.html

Gotta scroll down to get to the point of the non-oxy...Basically it states that if you have a low compression vehicle it wouldn't be a great idea to run Non-oxy because it is a slow burning gas and will deposit more carbon because of the slow burning rate.

31. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

^^^ but that had to do with the difference in octane, not oxy vs non-oxy.

Russ

32. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Oh..wells whatever works, to many different opinions on Non-oxy...

33. TSTRBOY2004

just drove from Vegas to Aneheim in a Hyundai Elantra... averaged 25.5mpg so what the hell is Fong truly getting....

34. kickin_81

I just pumped my gas today. Going back in time, my last pump pushed the gas needle way up and took about 40 miles to begin dropping. Today, I pumped 10.5 gallons but the needle was right at the "F" (the fuel nozzle clicked at 9.8 gallons and clicked the second time at 10.5 gallons). So if my calculations are correct, I can add an imaginary gallon and a half to cover that 40 miles, divide that by 297 miles and ...Wallah! 26 pure miles to the gallon! That's with 60% freeway, 30% skreet and 10% skreet acceleration (I was on the same tank that Friday night us Scoobies decided to go out and have fun).

So there you have it kids. The F-Mobile is the ultimate grocery-getter.

35. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

F-Bomb the MAN! Is that your girl in that pic? I have a new GOAL! take off my Turbo and have a 2.0L Impreza. That should get the 33MPG avg. Small displacement, Big Miles!

36. kickin_81

That's my girl of 4.5 years in an on-going love-hate relationship. She says it's love (I think it's lust). Just kidding. :hsugh:

37. G35XRally

G35XRally New Member

I bet his reader was off lol

Thats good, we gota 25mpg in our Trailblazer last summer driving through Canada. We normally get around 19-20highway. Damn Canadian air!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.