35% window tint worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by xodad2, Dec 3, 2013.

1. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get my windows tinted but am not sure 35% is worth getting. I do not like dealing with MN's finest, so I don't want to take any chances.

Any opinions would be awesome.

2. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

one word: prescription

tehfuzz likes this.
  3. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I have 35% tints. No problem. But I also drive wagon.

4. dhanso312

dhanso312 Well-Known Member

I've been pulled over twice in the past three weeks for 30%. I'm going to get a prescription when I'm back in the cities. The only law enforcement that seem to care are state troopers. From what I've heard Mike's got it right.. prescription appears to be the only way to go if you want darker-than-legal tint.

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

This, this, and this! Troopers will bust your bawlz all day about it, city cops have better things to do.

Look into a prescription or avoid the interstates(especially out near St. Cloud and Rochester)!

6. Stuart

Stuart New Member

But a prescription doesnt stop them from pulling you over int he first place.

7. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

Yea it seems like too much of a hassle to me.

8. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I have only been pulled over once and that was in an DWI enforcement weekend. I got let off with a warning. But after the hour lecture on having a loaded .45 between the seat and e break. I would have rather taken the ticket.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. dhanso312

dhanso312 Well-Known Member

You're correct, it won't prevent you from getting pulled over in the first place. But depending on the trooper you get, it will either be a warning or a $120 ticket on the spot. If you can get out of that, it's probably best. The only reason why I'm taking that route is because when I bought my LGT it already had the tint. I like it as it is, and don't want to pay the money to take it off then have 50% put on.

Many people don't have issues with it, but it depends on what mood the trooper is in.

As tangledupinblu said, they're pretty keen on pulling people over around St. Cloud. That's right where I was pulled over two weeks ago, and then last week was pulled over in my hometown of Buffalo.

It all depends on what tint you want, and the lengths to which you'll go to achieve that.

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I'm getting my windshield tinted next. For me it's all about diffusing the sunlight, couldn't care less about "looks".

Prescription is the way to go if you are running 50%(yes, i said 50%) or darker just to have a safety net. As stated, it may or may not work depending on the officer. But if they write you a ticket when you have a script, i would have to believe that you'll have a better chance of having the ticket thrown away in court.

The problem is, some officers will bust your bawlz if you have 50% because of the cars stock tint...just ask scubasteve.

11. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

also got to remember most shops won't do under 50% if you don't have a prescription.

12. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

:angel:knock on wood I have like 28% tint with an RX but have never been pulled over. Still waiting to pull the prescription out when it happens.

Mike likes this.
  13. Slomander

Slomander Active Member

Watch out if driving through Plymouth.

When I was still living in Plymouth, my xB had 35% on the fronts and I was pulled over 3 times in a two week period. I eventually had the front tint removed but still got pulled over a handful of other times cause my rear windows were too dark, even though it was factory tint and the xB is considered a wagon. They seem to jump all over the window tint thing.

If your car looks anything other than stock (my xB had funky wheels and was pretty riced out) they will pull you over. I had the city pull records for how many times the officers passed out the tint ticket (just to see if it was "ricer" profiling) and it was well over 100 in a month.

14. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

i have 35% ceramic, i would get 30% if i were to do it again. Only got pulled over once by state trooper and had the script.

Sun control in st.paul did it, they write down ur card info and charge you from a WI branch to make it legal lol