4eat not going into park fully harder to shift

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, May 25, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Today was the first time I drove my automatic wrx to work because I pulled my bugeye apart to do a wheel bearing and didn't finish. When I went to start the car to head home I turned the key, warren zevon came on the stereo, but I couldn't get it to turn over. After flicking the key back and forth several times I decided to shove the shifter up further to make sure it was in park and apparently it wasn't fully. I definitely set it to park but it's picky I guess. Also when I went to put it in reverse it didn't want to move between the different options as easily. I've driven this car around plenty and never had this happen to me. Any explanation? I'm only smart enough to understand how a manual transmission works this is beyond me. Low ATF fluid? Idk.

Attached Files:

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Do these things have lever position sensors? I never had an issue with my 05 obs but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

3. Butthau5

I noticed that if I stand on the brake a little harder it's easier to select the gears

4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Humor me and see if you can disable the safety interlock for the shifter and row through the positions. Could be gunked up

Butthau5 likes this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Cable and/or linkage binding. There's a bushing that the cable goes through at the bottom of the shifter, and the bushing has to rotate in the shifter arm to allow full travel, this seizes up and eventually causes the cable to break. Might be able to lube stuff up, but best to replace it all.

tangledupinblu, Butthau5 and euro like this.
  6. Butthau5

Probably be swapping it all out for a 5mt but I'll keep this is mind