93 Legacy Wagon

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Leonnosyt, May 5, 2018.

1. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

As some of you may remember I moved to MN last April from British Columbia and left my 93 Legacy up there.
    Well this April I finally flew back home and picked up my wagon and drove it 1600 miles back to Minnesota.
    [​IMG]

I went and picked up the car where it was stored outdoors under a car cover. Other than the typical bugs and spiders I was faced with a tree branch that fell on the car denting the roof and breaking the A pillar molding and the remains of what seemed like multiple mice living in the car.
    I got over the horrid smell inside the car connected the battery and turned the key....and nothing.
    Not seeing any chewed wires and having good fuel pressure we bump started the car down the hill and she fired right up! little bit of smoke from the tail pipe but was to be expected after sitting for a year. starter must have just been stuck because I turned it off and turned the key back on and it fired right up again! We were on our way.

I was only in Kelowna BC for 3 days before making the drive home so we brought the car into my brother's shop and started going over everything. We pulled all the seats out and vacuumed out and shampooed all the carpets from mouse poo and urine, did an oil change, replaced a leaking AN fuel fitting and got rid of the garbage HID system that was in the car. The car has a small oil leak that we suspected might be from the front crank seal so we pulled the rad and timing covers to find no leak but did find a rear timing cover bolt that had backed its way out and was sitting in the covers rubbing against the timing belt! luck find before such a long drive. So we threw in a new belt and water pump and the car was good to go.
    [​IMG]

The day before we left I noticed a vibration in the front end over 60mph so we took it for a quick wash to get the years of grime off then went and got the wheels balanced, guess a couple weights dried out and fell off.
    [​IMG]

The drive down was fairly uneventful, day one had us importing the car across the us/Canada border with no issues and clear skies all the way to billings MT. The stiff, low BC racing coilovers made humps in the road painful at 80mph and the 3" exhaust with only a magnaflow muffler left our ears ringing and throats sore trying to talk over the drone for 800 miles.
    [​IMG]

Day two started the same as the first leaving before sunrise we hit the road and cruised with mild temps and open roads. This was until Alexandria, where the skies greyed and the roads started getting wet. By St Cloud the roads were white and I could barely keep the car on the road, yes we ended up bringing the car down during that massive snow storm Minnesota got in mid April....
    We decided to save the car and pull off the road and call a flatbed for the remaining 18 miles to my house. to travel all that way with now issue and have to call it with 18 miles left was a little disheartening but I would rather have the car on a tow truck by my own will than because I put it in the ditch.
    [​IMG]

Now that the car is back in my garage I am fixing the body work, yellowing paint from cheap paint job, dent in roof from the tree that fell on it, deleting the antenna on the roof for a smooth roof line and fixing the tiny amount of rust the car has. The car will be getting wrapped in gloss white again once the work is done.
    [​IMG]

2. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

I got all the body work finished on the wagon in between building a patio at our new house. Shaved the roof antenna, fixed the roof dent, fixed a dent in the top of the hatch and ground away and fixed/sealed the couple small spots of rust that had started in the rear quarter panels.

Wanting a nice clean look but keep costs down I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping the car instead of painting it again. I purchased a full roll of 3M G10 gloss white and got to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Here are a couple pics from the show with the car all finished at the Modest Hundred show this weekend, even took home some hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

That wrap came out really nice. On a scale of 1 to totalpaininthedick, how hard was it laying the vinyl out? I tried wrapping some dash pieces in the past and gave up because I was having trouble stretching it into the tight, odd-shaped areas. Where did you order your vinyl from? Congrats on the award!

5. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Thanks man! Yea the wrap wasn't too bad on the roof and the doors, the bumpers gave me some headache taking about 4 hours each. 3m makes a primer for their vinyl wrap that helps it stick in tight areas or areas where the vinyl has been stretched into. Also heat is your friend get a good heat gun that can give you decent heat but go easy so you don't melt a hole... ask me how I know. I ordered the roll from fellers.com seemed like decent price and was quick shipping.

joebush44 likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looking good! My buddy was at the Modest 100 show as well. He has a super clean red MR2 and a TRD Celica with alot of carbon fiber.
    D055D238-91EA-48B3-B2D8-0C573ACA5C76.jpeg

7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

God I love that wagon. Want bad.

8. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

That Celica was clean, It was a good show between that little spats of rain

9. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

[​IMG]

The wagon had a MAF sensor die causing it to run rich at start-up and stall. I replaced the MAF with a brand new OEM unit and it fixed idle and off load driving but now the car runs super rich under boost to the point it bogs and pops black out the exhaust. The original MAF that was in the car was used I got from a friend and may have been going bad when I had the car tuned, which now values are way off with a new proper MAF? I have been going through the system checking for boost leaks ( thought I had an ah-ha moment when I found a spot on the intercooler piping that was worn down by the AN lines to my catch can, but it wasn't worn through and isn't leaking )and built better grounds from battery to frame behind headlight then built a harness to ground directly to the intake manifold, where the harness grounds, then to the alternator then the passenger side head. Also went and cleaned the paint off the grounding spots for the harness on both strut towers. This seems to have smoothed out idle and stabilized air/fuel slightly but still running rich when getting into boost. I am able to keep my foot in it while it sputters and it will pick up again around 5000 rpm but still running around 10.5 afr. At this point I'm not sure what else to check with just bringing it in an d getting the tune checked on a dyno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

10.5afr wot on a wideband? That doesn't seem it's rich enough to bog it down on the top end. Maybe the plugs or coils are going? I've heard of coil dweal getting worse as packs age and not spark as strong.

11. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

no its running at 10.5 afr once I keep my foot in it and make it through the sputtering and bogging down. Its showing 10 or less while its bogging down. I just did new plugs when this issue came up and they made zero difference.

12. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

[​IMG]

Been fixing a few of the issues I've neglected over the years, being so low I was never able to get a proper rear alignment causing excessive tire wear. Mix of slight toe issues along with camber caused inside of tires to wear down to cords on the drive down here.

[​IMG]

Picked up a set of Firestone Indy 500's. These seem to be the popular tire choice lately and at the price I couldn't pass them up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To fix the rear alignment I picked up the OBX rear lateral and trailing arms kit. Although this is a cheap "eBay" kit the build quality seems decent.

13. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a couple photos from Cars and Craft meet down at Flat Earth Brewing last night

jubella2 likes this.
  14. tangledupinblu

How did i not hear about this? Cars and beer...no brainer!

15. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Put on by the drive cartel guys first Saturday of every month. Limited space for show cars but free for spectators.

16. tangledupinblu

Hmmm. Never heard of them. On Faceballz?

17. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Obviously lol you will need to come to the dark side one of these days

18. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Just a couple updates going into winter

[​IMG]
    roller shot from the paul walker cruise, got the jdm fogs back in

[​IMG]
    Output Motorsports reverse lock out and 6 speed pattern badge

[​IMG]
    Finally got a rear OEM lip for the wagon. Couple more exterior pieces will hopefully be on over the winter.

And an updated mod list because why not

Exterior:
    3M 1080 Gloss White vinyl wrap
    turbo hood
    turbo bumpers
    06/07 sti v-limited lip
    4cam 16valve Turbo Intercooled Awd decals
    SS Turbo Decal
    Antenna delete
    Non-turbo grill
    Oem Rear lip

Lighting:
    jdm legacy fog lights
    EDM glass headlights with electric leveling motors
    amber removed from rear tail lights
    3000k/6000k colour switch LED headlights and fog lights
    cluster lights swapped to red LED

Wheels:
    Miro STP-1 16x7.5 +30
    Wheels custom painted 07 STI BBS gold
    205/50/16 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Brakes:
    JDM 4 pot front brakes
    Usdm wrx 2 pot rear brakes
    stainless lines
    Slotted front rotors

Interior:
    95 JDM STI Seats
    6.5 alpine type-s speakers
    AEM truboost gauge
    AEM wideband A/F gauge
    alpine i-pod only head unit
    STI front floor mats
    dyed rear floor mats to match sti front floor mats
    dyed black headliner\sun visors\grab handles
    JDM STI Nardi steering wheel
    Red STI shift knob
    STI shifter surround
    Output Motorsports reverse lockout
    Output Motorsports 6 speed badge

Suspension:
    Bc racing coilovers
    front 05 sti sway bar
    rear 05 sti sway bar
    OBX Trailing arms and Lateral Links
    camber bolts in rear
    Front JDM STI Strut tower brace
    Rear Cusco Carbon Strut tower Brace
    Mine's Lower control arm brace

Engine\engine bay and drive-train:
    ej22t block
    Wiseco .020 forged pistons
    Scat Rods
    Ver9 JDM STI heads intake avcs
    ARP Head studs
    Perrin Light Weight Crank pulley stock size
    STI oil pump
    AEM wideband o2
    VF37 Twinscroll Turbo
    WRX Dark Blue injectors "565cc"
    CX Racing front mount with custom piping
    Moroso coolant reservoir
    Dual oil catch can
    Optima Yellow Top
    BWR battery tie down
    Custom grounding kit
    Killer B oil pick up
    Killer B oil baffle
    Apex-i intake
    AVO Turbo Inlet pipe
    subaru group N motor mounts
    STI six speed
    R180 rear diff
    DCCDpro diff controller
    ACT 6 puck clutch
    ACT heavy duty pressure plate
    ACT street lite flywheel
    AVO Turbo Twinscroll downpipe adapter
    Ver9 JDM intake manifold (non tgv)
    9mm phonolic intake spacers
    Synapse BOV recirculated
    Ver9 JDM Twinscroll Equal length header. wrapped
    Custom Stainless Downpipe 3"
    full 3" exhaust to magnaflow muffler
    walbro 255 fuel pump
    Mishimoto Power steering resevoir with full stainless braided lines
    Boomba Fuel Rail kit with full stainless braided lines
    Fuellabs -6 fuel filter
    Zerosports radiator air guide
    Grimmspeed 3 port EBC

Tuning:
    Jdm Ver9 Sti Ecu
    Converted to OBD2 by I-wire
    Open source speed density tune by JM Auto
    306hp 350tq

jubella2 likes this.
  19. tangledupinblu

So good!

Leonnosyt likes this.
  20. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Still love this car. Still want.

Leonnosyt likes this.
  21. tangledupinblu

Also..
    8D0CBD26-B6D7-4103-9450-9756E2036B18.jpeg

silver03 and Leonnosyt like this.
  22. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

This winter has been spent cleaning up the few items that have bothered me over the years or needed to be reworked since I originally did the swap. The main focus has been getting working power steering back into the car as it has been very tight and leaking. I pulled the whole front subframe to replace the rack/rack bushings and reseal the oil pan and just clean everything up while in there. I went with the whiteline rack bushings, outer tie rods and ball joints to help steering component angle with being so low. I finally got the adapter harness from I_wire for my six speed to wire up my reverse lights and properly connect the DCCDPRO to replace my ghetto splicing I had done before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I had everything apart I noticed one wheel bearing had play turns out the bearing had been replaced before and the hub had damage from a spun bearing.

[​IMG]

Build up of grease around the control arm bushings lead me to inspect and find torn bushings so I have whiteline replacements on the way.

[​IMG]

New brake dust Shields and cleaned up coil overs with coilover bags to keep them clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a few items from Sean @ boxerbeauty.com ( he is a first gen owner from Australia that has built a business around Subaru reproduction decals )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my brother sent me a non AC bracket off his 1.8L Impreza to clean up the massive unused AC bracket

now could this winter just end already!!

23. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind, but I stole a bunch of these pictures for my screen saver! Good Lord, what a perfect wagon.

24. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

More eye candy for you guys plus my new spoiler I built over the winter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

So so good

26. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Keep forgetting to mention I spotted you the other day. Which was probably 2 weeks ago at this point... Haha.

Working at a new development by Dayton. You went by going north on Pineview, then turned left on Dayton (River) Rd (I could tell by the sound), and proceeded to just hammer on it. It sounded glorious.

Leonnosyt likes this.
  27. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

haha I know the exact moment you're talking about, I often take Dayton river rd to avoid the annoying bouncing of driving a slammed car down 94 plus its nice to have a couple curves

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  28. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Been a while since I've updated my build.
    Just got the car back on the road last week. Nothing majorly new mechanical wise just cleaned up a couple things and replaced a couple coolant hoses, but I finally got around to building my custom hood with a 4th gen LGT scoop and fitted 3rd gen outback side skirts.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

29. tangledupinblu

Mad skidz

Krazylegz1485 and Leonnosyt like this.
  30. Leonnosyt

Leonnosyt Member

Those weren't mine... This time at least

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  31. tangledupinblu

Don’t you stop me from dreaming!