98 GC Steering Column Gauge Pods?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 02subbieRS, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

Hey everybody. Does anyone know if someone makes a steering column gauge pod for the GC similar to the one for the GD? Only really looking at mounting 2 gauges atm.
    [​IMG]

Or is this pretty much my best bet?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

This guy does some custom stuff. Breezing through I did not see a mount like this but it looks like he does do cluster bezel mount if you have any interest in that?
    http://www.ortizcustompods.com/subaru.html

3. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

It took me 3 iterations of shipping back and forth. I settled too as even the final one was not up to snuff and ended up getting some money back and having to modify it. They shipped them wet multiple times and got bubble wrap marks all over them. Even when i told them to wait and ship dry they didn’t. Another shipped with broken tabs. It was close to two months before everything was done.

They rip consoles out of junkyard cars, Add PVC and some filler, paint them poorly and that’s that. Better off trying their method yourself than working with them. I highly do not recommend.

joebush44 likes this.
  4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Good to know.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Is that the rallitek one, P?

I'd probably 3d print or fiberglass and would probably use the center dash cubby personally. That or a 05+ GD dash swap.

6. 02subbieRS

I have been looking at his stuff. Was originally looking at the triple pod grafted to the factory center cubby lid. After having the triple pillar pod in the last WRX, kind of want to make it a little more subtle, but then again I do like the center triple gauge look ;)

Thanks for the review Corny! Have heard people recommending them but never anyone that actually bought anything.

The top one is the ATI one for a GD and the bottom is the universal Perrin mount. Just screws into the top of your column cover.

Leaning towards just grabbing one of the center pods off eBay and doing the work to make it fit the cubby lid myself and save a Benjamin.

Looked at the gd dash swap when i started this project but wasn't really feeling the look. The older dash has kind of grown on me :)

7. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

This is where I got mine. Like Corny said, quality is lacking for sure. When I got mine the paint was still tacky and would easily scrape off with a light fingernail. There was some Bondo chunks that weren't smoothed out either. I ended up cleaning up the transitions where they molded the pods in and repainted it myself. Fitment was good, as it was originally an OEM cluster bezel. It also took a couple of months to get it...for as long as they take to build, you'd think the quality would be there.

I had an SMY brand bezel in my 07 STi and it was top notch...unfortunately they don't make them for the GC platform.

If you're prepared with the possibility of needing to repaint the bezel going through Ortiz, it's not a terribly buy. There really aren't any other options out there (edit: for dual cluster bezels).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

02subbieRS likes this.
  8. 02subbieRS

Thanks Joe! I'm not afraid of a little work if the product is worth it. How is the visibility of the cluster with the two mounted in the corners?

9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Visibility is good. Not the best picture, but this is probably the closest pic I have from a driver's perspective. The pods could be angled slightly up and in toward the driver more if you want to get nit-picky, but they work well as is.
    [​IMG]

02subbieRS likes this.
  10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Number 5 alive!