A 2.5 Head Gasket Marathon

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Firefighter181, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Firefighter181

Firefighter181 Member

So over the past three weeks I have been on a head gasket spree. My 01 developed a coolant leak in December, and I finally got around to dealing with it. My wifes 05 OB has had the oil leak issue for about a year now and I finally delt with that with new head gaskets. Finally my friends 07 had the same issue and I helped her out on her car as well.

So after three cars I can say I am very appreciative of the topics I found here and on other Subaru sites, and Subaru in general (not for the head gaskets, but for an easy car to wrench on). I was able to perform all three repairs with the motor in the car thought the 07 with the VVT heads made getting the driver side head in and out somewhat of a challenge but not a huge deal.

Oddly enough it is a fairly straight forward repair, and much less complicated than I anticipated it would be. Only interesting part was the rather strange way to torque the head bolts but I was used to it by the third car. On my two cars with parts, fluids, and misc cleaners I had a whopping $557.32 into repairs. Pretty damn good deal if I say so my self for two cars, new head gaskets, and some weekends wrenching in the garage!

I used the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets for repair on all three cars. Fun project(s) and a good learning experience on these cars. For anyone that has moderate wrenching skills and garage confidence this should be a very easy money saver. I used all hand tools and other than the crank bolt the motor is pretty much all 10mm, 12mm and 14mm fasteners. Very easy to disassemble and reassemble.

Here is some shop shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

A great time to check the valve clearance too!

Firefighter181 likes this.
  3. Firefighter181

Firefighter181 Member

Yup, took advantage of being able to make valve adjustments quite easily!

tangledupinblu likes this.