Adventures in Grocery Getting

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by subie-roo, Aug 18, 2017.

1. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Subaruists, Subaruin, whatever. A few months back I decided to pull the trigger on a 2005 LGT. I already had a 2008 Outback 2.5i which I love, but it lacks some pizazz in the oomph department. Here was the LGT on purchase day:

IMG_3723.JPG
    She was filthy, covered in plastidip (taillights, roof rack, grill, chrome trim, interior trim) and needed love.
    IMG_0147.JPG
    I started by de-plastidipping the taillights and other parts. 3M Adhesive remover worked wonders on the taillights.
    taillights.jpg
    Then I replaced the fogged headlights, threw on a cheap lip so I don't scrape my bumper, replaced the grill, (which was plastidipped and then spraypainted) and found some BRZ/FRS wheels.
    LGT.jpg
    At first the updates were purely cosmetic. But then this happened:
    0021.jpg And they kept on coming....
    025.jpg

She went to RS Motors for a week - Driver's side Banjo Bolt filter completely clogged, engine now had a knock (insert expletive here)!

I had a decision to make, bail on the LGT or rebuild...........so I contacted JMA. They were awesome, sent me updates (and pics) and answered my many emails and phone calls without making me feel like a total idiot. One month, a new shortblock and a VF52 later, I finally got my grocery getter back.
    IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

upload_2017-8-18_13-53-35.png

Now I am just getting through the break-in miles and happy to be getting groceries again!

Attached Files:

2. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Please keep updating this thread. Wagons rule the world. Why would anybody plastidip over their taillights??? Any future plans for more mods? Suspension, brakes? Nice ride.

Takalak likes this.
  3. subie-roo

Brakes were replaced right before I purchased it. I will probably upgrade them eventually, as well as some of the other suspension components. Below is a list of suspension mods to date:

Whiteline Front Strut Tower Bar
    Tein SKS70 1.5” Lowering Springs
    Koni Front & Rear Shocks
    Perrin 22mm adjustable front sway Bar
    AVO 20mm adjustable rear sway bar
    Moog front and rear sway links
    Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushings and Rack Bushings

My first goal is to upgrade the exhaust. It currently has a CNT catless dp and a STI catless up with Prodrive mufflers mated to the OEM y-pipe. I REFUSE to part with the Prodrives, which is making my quest a little more difficult. After dropping the cash on the build I am going to wait a bit on future upgrades (and my husband is chomping at the bit to start modifying his WRX).

JuStaWRX likes this.
  4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

When you decide to sell that, let me know. If you need help or want to buy a bunch of parts for it, also let me know.

I've had two 05 LGT wagons so I'm pretty familiar, and have a stack of parts lying around still.

housemusic1 likes this.
  5. subie-roo

Thank you! I am learning as I go and I'm sure I will need help. And for parts, I want all the parts for all the wagons!

If I ever plan on selling I will let you know.

6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

7. subie-roo

The adventures continued with the LAX cruise and camping and overall the LGT was a trooper. Almost through all of the break in miles and got nearly 19 miles to the gallon on E85.

The pros: My husband won a Grimmspeed up pipe in the raffle which will replace the catless STI up pipe nicely.

The cruise and camping were awesome and nearly without incident.

The cons: Lost all the hardware on one of my RA mudflaps, my oil pressure gauge took a s*#t on the drive back to the cities and the CD player decided it no longer wants to turn on, play or eject CDs.

8. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

So much for that old school 6 disk. Time to upgrade to some ingredients newer than 2001.

The car looks great in person. Glad to meet you on the cruise!

subie-roo likes this.
  9. subie-roo

Thanks @derp for the heatshield and billet caps!

Attached Files:

derp likes this.
  10. subie-roo

More grocery getting adventures:
    Cracked the top tank on my OEM radiator, replaced it with a shiny new aluminum one. Fought with the cold-side piping, needed a new coolant overflow bottle. Found a tiny one off of a Honda at UPull, problem solved.
    honda tank.jpg

Boost leak = new coupling. Another boost leak = new coupling (starting to hate my FMIC at this point).

Updated my grocery list too, the eggs and corn crack me up!!
    grocery list.jpg

After installing a transmission fluid thermostat, and fighting with the FMIC some more, I pulled the trigger on a TMIC and had it installed today by JM Auto. Loving it so far!
    GS TMIC.jpg

EricS, klutz, housemusic1 and 3 others like this.
  11. housemusic1

I want your wagon. Just sayin.

12. Mnelson

+1

Might regret asking.. But is the fmic available?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  13. subie-roo

I have a buyer lined up, if they back out I'll let you know.

Mnelson likes this.
  14. subie-roo

18C581D0-B154-4A5E-845D-23C4670685D3.jpeg Got rid of the orange side markers on the wagon for all red. So clean!

derp and tangledupinblu like this.
  15. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Nice!

16. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The grocery list cracks me up.... Good work on the theme!

pillboy likes this.
  17. subie-roo

20% ceramic tint front and rear, and clear(ish) ceramic on the windshield. Updated my grocery stickers (matte silver for both front doors, removed them from the rear hatch), picked up some JDM engine covers, and got an IAG AOS (thanks @jmyhre05). Picking up these Prodrive wheels next week, and sourcing a new DP and mid/y set up. Heading to the Chitown Subaru Big Meet next weekend, I have a feeling it's gonna be a busy summer :D
    LGT 1.jpg
    LGT 2.jpg
    LGT 3.jpg
    LGT 4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    jmyhre05, Aegis, MrBlue and 3 others like this.
  18. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Those prodrive wheels are baller

19. subie-roo

Yes they are, thanks! I’ve been looking for awhile, found these out in Michigan.

20. Mnelson

Corn on the cobb. Heh.

MrBlue, tangledupinblu and subie-roo like this.
  21. subie-roo

I’ve been waiting for someone to crack that joke for a long time :D

tangledupinblu likes this.
  22. subie-roo

Went to the CTS Big Meet yesterday, over 800 cars in attendance. An aerial view about midway through and the only pic of the wagon I found (I didn't take any pics :()
    Big Meet.jpg Grocery List.jpg

Mnelson, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  23. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

"CTS Big Meet"...I thought "damn, that's a lot of Cadillacs in one place!"

That first pic should have been turned into a MNSubaru contest..."Where's Subie-Roo?".

I love the grocery list.

24. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Would have been easier if she would have painted red and white stripes on it.

Krazylegz1485 and pillboy like this.
  25. subie-roo

Thanks! I like this version way more, since it’s body color it doesn’t jump out as much (less of a cop magnet + wagon).

There were some awesome cars there, a few police Subaru’s, a few local shops cars (6 Star, P&L and Stroud Build we’re represented), lots of crazy show cars and an LS swapped bugeye. After going to this, and seeing the local turnout, I would recommend to anyone that can make it to come to Subiefest.

26. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I've been eyeballing those same GT1's (bright flitter for me) for over 8 years now and trying to justify pulling the trigger on them. MachV wants 1400 plus shipping on them, don't know how I'd sneak that kind of a purchase past the wifey... Jelly!!!

27. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Merica.

28. subie-roo

I haven’t updated this in awhile.

Last month I upgraded my front and rear endlinks, installed some greaseless poly swaybar bushings, and an AVO rear swaybar mount. I acquired some JDM Bilstein struts, but decided to sell them over installing them on the wagon.

The wagon got some love from JM this week, installed a Nameless mid and y, an Invidia downpipe, and a Grimmspeed up pipe with a Turbosmart EWG. Apart from some fitment issues with my exhaust components that I’m still figuring out, all went well and Devin was able to dial in the tune on Tuesday.

Prior to my trip up I installed a Hexmods F1 Valvebody upgrade - the 5EAT feels much better now.

It made killer power and is a blast to drive.
    D0408BE8-1C07-4F58-BB66-87C03061A306.jpeg

29. housemusic1

Just out of curiosity, do you drive in "sport mode" or just standard? The 5EAT is a damn beast, and the Hexmods, coupled with the extra engine bits you have, must make this thing scoot like a LGT with a 5MT. Very well done I must say. I really love what you're doing with my wagon, let me know when I can stop by and pick her up!:bounce: In an alternate reality, this is my wagon, and I'm just letting you borrow it.:frantic:

30. tangledupinblu

Those JDM engine covers sure do make for a tidy engine bay sistah! Looking good!

And you have to admit, if you were only going to find one pic of the wagon that someone else took, the grocery list is a good one! Haha. Everyone enjoys that.

31. subie-roo

I had no reference point until recently when I got to ride in a LGT that has a nearly identical build but a 5MT.

What I can say about the 5EAT is it’s effortless, you’re in the triple digits without even thinking about it. And because you don’t shift the EWG remains open throughout gears if you stay in the throttle.

32. tangledupinblu

Zoom zoom!

33. subie-roo

Attended Fl4tfest this weekend in Madison. I updated my roll-call to include nutella and ice cream, and am very happy with the silver/gold combo with the Prodrives mounted. It was a great turnout and I won a Best of Class in the Legacy category.
    IMG_2361.jpg IMG_2390.jpg 38510892_2173214272936097_8559621687782408192_n.jpg

jubella2, Ctracey218, Mnelson and 4 others like this.
  34. tangledupinblu

Awesome! Those are pretty cool trophies!

35. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Hey, I thought that was my dyno graph for a second!

Untitled.png

36. subie-roo

Twinning!

37. tangledupinblu

Lmao!

38. subie-roo

Went to Subaru Speed Expo this weekend. The wagon looked great and I took home Best Legacy/Outback and “Most Stickers”

9547C160-DFF7-4B9D-9E53-F9D6EE7852FA.jpeg
    6E6805EA-900A-47A3-A6DB-F7AEF4357C6E.jpeg

MidnightImpreza and skubi1 like this.
  39. tangledupinblu

“Most stickers”! Hahahahaha!!! It’s my grocery list bruh.

40. subie-roo

Well the LGT seems to have some jealousy issues with the new wagon. I recently upgraded the suspension to some FEAL 441+ coilovers with Swift 8k springs and when the lower strut bolt was siezed we ended up removing the hub and hitting hit with a sledgehammer after good old fashioned PB blaster and a blowtorch didn’t work. Then she decided to piss all her power steering fluid on the ground in a fit of rage. I’d already been chasing a boost leak, and promptly after getting an alignment toasted a front axle. Get her back tomorrow from the axle repair (it was warrantied) and I’ll be back to trying to figure out the boost issue.
    I will say that the Drive Cartel coilover covers are damn nice, and at $80 for a set of 4 they are worth every penny. And finally having access to a lift is so damn nice, working on a garage floor is less than ideal 90% of the time.
    Since the LGT is out of commission, and the tLeg wasn’t technically able to be out until April 1st due to registration I did get to drive the RS for the weekend and boy that little car is fun.

Attached Files:

41. derp

derp Well-Known Member

stop hoarding all the good cars. :p

42. subie-roo

I didn’t choose this life, the life chose me :)

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  43. subie-roo

Been awhile since I updated. My personalized plates came for the tLeg, now the LGT and tLeg are twinning with their momwagn plates.
    3AEA77B4-B69B-4DC4-9665-1AB53140C483.jpeg

Even with the oil pan and changing some hoses the tLeg leaks a significant amount of oil. The plan is to pull and reseal the motor this winter, since the antique plates limit use. Put on new struts and lowered her 2inches on some B&G springs, that ride height looks much more appropriate especially with the Speedlines I picked up.
    C254E066-7C56-47F9-B19B-BFBAB3FCA802.jpeg
    A friend had some old emblems that he gave me, they cleaned up nicely and after painting look very close to original.
    407C1DC2-A8D1-4F9C-8388-48DE4751264B.jpeg 701CFCD3-09A0-4DB9-973A-C5CBD8AE398F.jpeg
    I’m hoping to tackle leaks and paint next summer, for now she only comes out during nice weather, and I sure do love driving her.
    6279594B-FB5F-4E26-9853-3BCAC0CB467B.jpeg

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  44. subie-roo

And now an update on the LGT. Made a few small changes this year. Finally had a proper detail done (decon, paint correction and ceramic coating) and I can’t believe how much the silver pops! Since I had to remove the roll call, I updated it to be mod accurate. Was lucky to be an exhibitor at the Chitown Subaru’s Big Meet, was a great event except for the rain.
    43A3701F-F7F7-4FE0-A677-C893A693FFEC.jpeg
    92E2F0D0-AF60-4DA3-832A-3DEB1925DDC9.jpeg
    Finally got the JDM window visors on and some black side skirt extensions and I’m loving how it looks.
    F8827480-ECCA-436F-9E74-35C934DA855D.jpeg
    She still rips, but I’m addressing some oil consumptions issues and concerning oil analysis, might be something, could be nothing.

Took a Top in Show at a local all-Subaru show, and looking forward to seeing some of you at Subiefest Midwest!!
    6ECAD63A-743D-4549-BB6D-178F0CFE944E.jpeg
    76C5749B-37C3-46C9-AA2C-61D60D7DAD96.jpeg
    Also picked up some new wheels for stupid cheap, I secretly love them (although the gold will go back on for events).
    D2AC6F11-FCA7-4A0A-8D5D-8587902535E5.jpeg
    For more adventures in grocery getting check out my Instagram @momwagn. It’s dedicated to my Subaru’s, and I’m way better at updating it then any other forum.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  45. tangledupinblu

Those PFF’s are beautiful on there!