Adventures in Grocery Getting

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by subie-roo, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

God that's a sexy wagon.

2. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Since my last update lots has happened with my beloved momwagon. On a trip to Minnesota what was supposed to be an easy visit to JM quickly turned into heartbreak when I learned I had low compression on 1 and 4. I think the culprit was repeated lean conditions that I would experience while cruising that I ignored for awhile because it seemed so minor. By the time I realized something was wrong I had misfires on all cylinders. Cleaning my MAF helped, but by then the damage was already done. I continued to send it, literally right back into the shop. Got photos from Jesse, my pistons had definitely seen better days.
    67953128_2373313452935071_7259331454293770240_n.jpg 68908124_502959090452273_2688689732484857856_n.jpg

While momwagon was visiting the great north, a hail storm ****ed her up pretty good. To say I am devastated is an understatement. Regardless of what happens with insurance, I am still finishing this build, and I will be keeping the wagon indefinitely as far as I'm concerned - I will likely be buried in it someday.
    67951332_576109146253667_1527533435541782528_n.jpg
    67659116_479076302825992_974099849748152320_n.jpg
    68436582_2415551898536460_1422413264863625216_n.jpg

As usual, Jesse and the team at JM have been nothing but awesome through this process, guiding me through more questionable decisions. Luckily, this vehicle is retired as my daily, and show season just ended so I have some time to make momwagon right again.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:( Praying for you sister, that sucks! Hopefully she can be mended back to her original beauty. This is one of my all time favorite wagons

4. Krazylegz1485

I refuse to "like" that post. Damn that sucks.

5. subie-roo

On a positive note, this setback hasn’t prevented me from making terrible Subaru decisions and I picked up this turd last week

63446AA2-8627-4928-98FD-5E91D268B685.jpeg
    It didn’t run but had a TON of suspension goodies installed at P&L by the previous owner.
    Funny story - I looked at this same car last April prior to buying my white RS but the rear panels were so f’d up I had to pass (botched rust repair with ALL the bondo).

Got it running and it turns out the motor is solid, just needs a new throwout bearing and clutch which we are putting in this week. Swapped all the suspension components over to the white RS and hot damn it is fun!!!

5B2EB864-F530-488D-B182-7CF7CFA44DD7.jpeg

Since I have absolutely no use for a 5th Subaru the blue RS has already found a new home, and after beating the piss out of it with some AutoX this weekend it will make its way to Colorado at the end of the month.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. subie-roo

So the hail damage is 100% worse than expected, but rather than look at it as a setback, it’s an opportunity to address things I’ve wanted to change and couldn’t in the past. Updates will come as the work is completed but expect to see a cleaner look overall and some more JDM goodies ;)

JM did an amazing job per usual on the motor and I can’t wait for the next chapter. We maxed out my pump with this new turbo, but still made killer power on less boost. The high compression really fills the gap that existed before and the car just feels better overall. I’ll likely look at pump options next season, my new job has me busy and I only get to drive her on the weekends anyways.

Until next time....

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. Krazylegz1485

Roof rail delete...?

8. subie-roo

Maybe.....

9. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Fixed

Krazylegz1485 and Bugeyejake like this.
  10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

For inspiration:

iu-7.jpeg

11. tangledupinblu

12. subie-roo

Here’s a hint: I may or may not be buying a full 05 donor vehicle (sedan) that just happens to have a Spec b 6 speed :)

SaggyWagon, tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  13. subie-roo

Picked up the donor tonight. The 3 doors I need and the hood are in excellent condition with zero rust or dings. The fenders will need some love but should get the job done if needed. It came with plenty of goodies I’ll be getting rid of as well as a full Spec B 6MT swap.
    E7E3BC75-E1CE-4F89-8DD8-7FD62228D409.jpeg

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  14. tangledupinblu

You take “addiction” to a whole nother level sister!:cool:

pillboy likes this.
  15. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

That's a "donor" car? That's nicer than any car I've ever owned. :(

16. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Uh... Your BMW Tony?

TC Lgt and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. subie-roo

Well, it only looks like a car - the motor is long gone and I purchased it because of rust on my current wagon and severe hail damage. Any aftermarket parts will be sold to cover the cost of the swap, and I'll be lucky if my wagon operates after what I'm attempting.

18. Krazylegz1485

You say that like you're converting it to mid or rear engine... It'll be fine! And even sexier than pre-surgery I'm sure.

19. subie-roo

There is a reason no one attempts to convert the 5EAT to 6MT, its not worth the headache and work involved, and I’m going to attempt it anyway.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  20. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

If anyone can do it, you can! Good luck!

21. Krazylegz1485

6mt + wagon = absolutely worth it...

SaggyWagon and tangledupinblu like this.
  22. pillboy

$h!t like this is why I still hang around this site.

subie-roo and tangledupinblu like this.
  23. subie-roo

Exactly how I feel, but the work to get there is a lot. On the plus side while everything is pulled apart the 15+ STI rack I stumbled upon will be put to use

24. subie-roo

Compared to @Quinn I’m merely a casual Subaru user lol

Quinn and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  25. subie-roo

Update - I finally sourced the Spec B axles I was missing and we pulled the 6MT last night, its about as big as my 5EAT. After addressing a broken reverse lock out, and resealing the rear diff we will get started on the swap. I won't be present for all of it due to the travel demands of my job, but I will post up the wiring approach we take once completed.

After a ton a research, and chatting with half a dozen people who have done this specific swap we have decided not to swap harnesses and ecu. It turns out that the auto and manual ecu are identical hardware, only the software is different. Once we flash the appropriate manual ROM onto the ecu, disconnect the tcu and merge the appropriate wiring the wagon wont know if was ever an auto to begin with. And the chassis is the same, the mounting holes for the MT cross-member are covered with plugs, once removed the parts "should" swap right over.

There is of course the many little things like the pedal box, clutch master and slave, abs unit, and interior bits, but overall we're moving in the right direction.

Now I just need to decide between the two clutches in my possession, a heavy duty ACT, or a Cusco twin carbon disc :)

26. tangledupinblu

<3

27. subie-roo

Huge shoutout to @pillboy for sending a little Minnesota nice my way :)
    ED72B6FA-95F6-4EBD-82B7-9952CB86D69D.jpeg

28. tangledupinblu

Yeah, he’s pretty alright!:)

29. pillboy

Glad it got there OK. Now you can hone your soldering skillzz. Any updates on the wagon rehab?

30. pillboy

Thanks. I try. Not always successful though...ask my wife.

31. subie-roo

Momwagn finally went for her "spa week" at my buddies shop. If all goes well she will identify as a "spec b wagon" in a week or so.

On that note, any LGT/OBXT 5EAT peeps that need parts?

32. Krazylegz1485

Definitely sounds tranny related.

33. subie-roo

Finally done. The actual swap was far less complicated than we thought and my buddy who’s shop did it is going to do a write-up on it. The biggest hurdles we faced were sourcing Spec B rear axles and the modification to the trans cross member. Besides that mechanically it was straightforward.

From a wiring perspective the ECU is the exact same hardware AT/MT so we knew we were going to flash a manual ROM from the same year. We wired the clutch switch and neutral safety to the appropriate pins on the ECU and the reverse lights from the front dash harness to the trans. Before reflashing the ROM we unmarried the AP And then remarried it as a MT. Devin sent me a revised tune for the 6MT, although I’m hoping to get it up there in the spring for a revision.

We got snow over the weekend and the wagon is on summers so we haven’t been able to take her out yet, but we ran it for some time and did pull it in and out of the shop with no issue and no CELs (knock on wood).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  34. tangledupinblu

*happydance*

35. Krazylegz1485

I don't wanna do the happy dance!

36. subie-roo

Wagon update. Finished the 6MT swap and chased a VSS code for awhile. Replaced sensors and a toasted wheel bearing but the code comes and goes (mostly comes). Speedo works and we disabled the CEL because I’m tired of trouble shooting it and just don’t care enough to put more energy into it. Finally ready for some pulls and clutch slips top of 2nd and WOT in 3rd *facepalm*. Then I discover an intake leak. Turns out I broke a motor mount and the intake manifold and my hood decided to make friends, putting a hole in the manifold (I can’t make this **** up).

Then life happened and thought I may have to sell it, still might but who knows.

Finally replaced the clutch and motor mounts and got it broken in and it is just ridiculous, I can’t wait to get the tune dialed in one of these days.

Heres a pic of her good side, you almost forget about the hail damage and non-matching doors on the drivers side.

Attached Files:

37. tangledupinblu

Still one of the coolest wagons in the country! Even if she’s feisty :)