advice? friend's got clutch judder

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jk78, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jk78

jk78 New Member

hey guys, my friend has clutch judder in his 02 wagon. Apparently, he's brought it to Morries Brooklyn Park a couple times with the TSB and they told him they couldn't reproduce the problem so they can't replace the clutch. He even left it there for a week. I haven't researched this topic thoroughly as I haven't had to deal with it myself (MY04 wagon), but I have crossed the occassional thread about it.

Any advice for him? Any one he should call specifically?

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Jonathan silly question, but how does your friend drive his clutch? Does he ride it from stop? Cuz I had thought I had the same problem when I first had the car. Than I started driving it like my other car that has a very sensitive clutch. From a stop I slowly left off the clutch til I'm completely off it before hitting the gas padel.

C

3. jk78

jk78 New Member

Chong thanks for the input. I got him to sign up for the board so maybe he'll give input once he's activated.

For now, he says this:
    My clutch problem is a little sporatic. I'm pretty gentle on the clutch and when it occurs, it's only in first gear and from a dead stop. I've tried doing all things from driving normal to releasing the clutch more slowly to being a little heavy on the gas. When it happens, it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it.

He says it hasn't happened for a while, but I figured I'd check with you guys since I've heard so much about this clutch judder issue. :)

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I have clutch judder as well, but only on occasion. IIRC, Subaru said that juddering occurs when the clutch wasn't driven normally and it will need replacing of the flywheel and pressure plate. Many people upgraded the clutch to Exedy and others and has succeeded in eliminating the judder. It could be a sign of a worn clutch disk. :???:

5. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Clutch judder occurs on bone-stock, practically new WRXs. It doesn't really have anything to do with the age or condition of the clutch. For people who got dealerships to successfully reproduce it, they got updated parts that came from the factory on the 2003's and later.

I get it very rarely but I know how to drive around it...just rev it a little more and slip it a little longer. After the car is warmed up it doesn't happen.

6. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Shouldn't have to "drive around it" though. I'm going to try and get mine fixed when I get the recalls done over christmas break. Hopefully I'll still have a warranty then.

7. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

I have clutch judder too, nothing about how the clutch is used. It occurs when it's cool + damp. I have brought it to Morries Subie Wayzata and Bloomington acura subaru... neither place could reproduce it (not cool or damp at the time).

The probem is subaru switched to a difference material that's more environment friendly. The first iteration has issues when it's cold and damp.. the judder. They have updated the material, and once they can successfully reproduce the judder, they replace the clutch for ya with the new stuff.

At least that's what I think is the case :)

-Jordan

8. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

all this time i thought it was clutch shudder.
    :I

9. gezebo

gezebo Guest

i too have been infected with this judder/shudder. have anyone tried videotaping it? like a couple of times? and showing the dealer? hmm? I'ma have to try taping this phenomenom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.